#1 Carlien

Carlien

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Local Club: IMA CLUB

Posted 01 May 2023 - 07:19 PM

We are busy wiring up our centre speedo, in our 1977 Mini IMA, with a oil pressure gauge and a water temperature gauge. I've followed the FAQ topic about the wiring, bit still there are some questions left.

On the temperature gauge, does it matter where the green blue is connected? And do we need that extra green there?

On the volt stabilizer, there should be white on B, but the second green, to I or B?

We also have 2 green wires left, where are they for?

(I know we miss the dash illumination on the left side, the right one needs to be splitted)

Thank you

Attached Files

#2 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 08:33 PM

The voltage regulator has the white (switched 12v live) to the 'B' (battery) terminal, as you say.  The 'I' (instrument) teminal/s on the regulator are there to feed the fuel and temperature gauges with a steady 10v, so the gauges aren't affected by the alternator output.  These wires should be green, and go directly to one side of each gauges.

#3 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 01 May 2023 - 09:46 PM

The voltage regulator has the white (switched 12v live) to the 'B' (battery) terminal, as you say.  The 'I' (instrument) teminal/s on the regulator are there to feed the fuel and temperature gauges with a steady 10v, so the gauges aren't affected by the alternator output.  These wires should be green, and go directly to one side of each gauges.

Assuming that the temp gauge is designed for 10v .. some are, some aren't ...

#4 Carlien

Carlien

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 05:02 AM

Thank you, it's a 10 Volt smiths gauge, so i will move the green from B to I. Does it matter on the temperature gauge where i put green/blue and green?

And then i think that the second set of green wires is for another instrument. Our oil pressure meter doesn't have any connectors for those.

#5 Ricester

Ricester

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 07:26 AM

Thank you, it's a 10 Volt smiths gauge, so i will move the green from B to I. Does it matter on the temperature gauge where i put green/blue and green?

And then i think that the second set of green wires is for another instrument. Our oil pressure meter doesn't have any connectors for those.

Are your second set of greens for a relay? 

#6 Carlien

Carlien

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 07:52 AM

That could be, but not sure what kind of relay??

Also know that i have 2 orange bulbs in the speedo, but no seperate cables for it, left and right indicator are combined into the top green light.

#7 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 02 May 2023 - 08:14 AM

You'll need a green feed from I to the gauge. Then one from gauge to temp sender (green/blue?). There are lots of wiring diagrams on this site if you haven't got one.

Not sure if the gauge connections are swappable .. best to check. May just not work .. may blow something.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users