I’d be inclined to take a deep breath and order a set of ARP studs

#17 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 02:02 PM

May have been a stud that had been tightened and loosened a couple of times in its lifetime. Be worth replacing them all.

Good job on getting the broken bit out!

#18 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 07:17 PM

May have been a stud that had been tightened and loosened a couple of times in its lifetime. Be worth replacing them all.

I have ordered the competition head stud and nut kit from minispares, these are less than half the cost of the ARP ones,

I would agree that the studs/nuts and bolt  have been tightened/loosened a number of times previously.

#19 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 05 August 2023 - 08:25 PM

I have ordered the competition head stud and nut kit from minispares, these are less than half the cost of the ARP ones,

I would agree that the studs/nuts and bolt  have been tightened/loosened a number of times previously.

I use the competition minispares head studs.  Been fine for me.

#20 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 06:18 PM

All cylinder head studs and 1 bolt replaced, all hoses changed, head reinstated, engine run up to temperature, next job is to retorque head and check valve clearances, before balancing carbs and reinstating air filters. I have also reinstated the sump guard.

I have installed a high level LED rear brake light to the roll cage rear support, LED indicator repeaters as the little green indication on the speedo is difficult to see, my next task is to install fuel pump cut off switches, rear fog light, hazard indicators (to the rear only) and to get the rear spotlight working as a reversing light.

kIo9gM2.jpg

Aa4xzN2.jpg

#21 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 09:23 AM

I have fallen out of love (temporarily) with the mini, after re-torqueing the head and doing the valve clearances, I installed the anti-freeze and ran the car with the radiator cap off for a short while to eliminate any air in the system. I then refitted the cap and ran the car until I heard what sounded like air (gurgling) in the system. I waited for about 10 minutes before starting to remove the cap and that's where it all went wrong, unbeknown to me the pressure cap rubber had formed a seal not allowing it to rise and release pressure out of the overflow, when I lifted the cap a jet of water shot out and hit my arm, side and face, luckily I had glasses and a cap on, which meant my burns are mainly to my arm. The cap is made by FAHLER, and even though it is a nice looking shiny cap, on inspection the rubber seal is to large and restricts any pressure being released through the overflow.

2GYtkQG.jpg

CN8tiBp.jpg

#22 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 16 August 2023 - 03:24 PM

Guessing that's going straight in the bin, hopefully the burns will heal quickly

#23 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 03:31 PM

Guessing that's going straight in the bin, hopefully the burns will heal quickly

Pressure caps already in the bin, arms still painful and am back up the hospital tommorrow to get it re-dressed. Luckily my wife did all the right things (immersed it in cool water and wrapped it in clingfilm) so the damage was limited.

#24 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 16 August 2023 - 06:54 PM

Bloody hell, sorry to hear that.

#25 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 01:57 PM

My arm has recovered sufficiently to allow me to start working on the Mini again, my 1st task was to install an expansion tank to the cooling system allowing me to check the coolant level without removing the pressure cap, the only location that fits nicely is where the windscreen washer bottle sits, my next job is where to relocate the washer bottle, any ideas welcomed?

pHtplwC.jpg

Edited by JXC Mini GT, 01 September 2023 - 01:58 PM.

#26 eric67

eric67

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 08:04 PM

I can understand you wanting to avoid being burnt again but, with a decent and correctly functioning cap, do you really need an expansion tank? - only I’ve not seen them fitted to early cars. If you do go ahead it my be possibly to fit one in the passenger footwell as per some rally prepared cars.

#27 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 10:11 PM

I can understand you wanting to avoid being burnt again but, with a decent and correctly functioning cap, do you really need an expansion tank? - only I’ve not seen them fitted to early cars. If you do go ahead it my be possibly to fit one in the passenger footwell as per some rally prepared cars.

With the new cap fitted the car had a tendency to dump water out of the overflow, on checking the coolant level when cold the water level was just below the fins in the radiator,
I trial fitted the expansion tank and it solves the issue. I have ordered a different washer bottle to see if it will fit near the servo, if not your idea sounds good to mount it in the passenger footwell.

#28 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 01:06 PM

A bit tight but managed to fit the washer bottle near to its original position.

8MQxusx.jpg

#29 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 02:47 PM

New switch panel fitted along with led indicator repeaters. I must admit it's not to johnR standard

DONN9XK.jpg

#30 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 08 September 2023 - 08:19 PM

Haha, I hope you never need to use the ejector seat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users