4 replies to this topic

#1 Speakjava

Speakjava

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 12:06 PM

It was all going so well and we were getting so close to an attempt at the first engine start...

Unfrortunately, I noticed that when I attached the top engine steady bar, I hadn't included the bracket thar also bolts to the engine block. No problem, just undo the bolt and... it sheared. The bolt is absolutely flush with the engine block so no chance of attempting to use mole grips to get it out.  The obvious route is to use a bolt extractor so I tried drilling a hole in the bolt. I made it about 1/2cm in an and just cannot get any further. I've tried everything: small 2mm pilot hole, a load of brand new drill bits (including cobalt ones), 4mm hole, even a 1.5mm one. Nothing seems to cut through the bolt, which is completely baffling. A hacksaw cuts into the top of the bolt with ease. I can't undestand why I can't drill it! I managed to get two different bolt extractors to at least engage, the first one (more of a screw extractor) just ended up completely rounded off. The second (much heavier duty) just stripped material off the bolt.

I'm completely flumoxed by this so any suggestions would be extremely welcome.

One idea I had is to use the other hole in the engine block, which holds the bracket to fit a longer steady bar. Anybody have an opinion on whether that's a really bad idea or not?

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 16 July 2023 - 01:37 PM

It was all going so well and we were getting so close to an attempt at the first engine start...
Unfrortunately, I noticed that when I attached the top engine steady bar, I hadn't included the bracket thar also bolts to the engine block. No problem, just undo the bolt and... it sheared. The bolt is absolutely flush with the engine block so no chance of attempting to use mole grips to get it out. The obvious route is to use a bolt extractor so I tried drilling a hole in the bolt. I made it about 1/2cm in an and just cannot get any further. I've tried everything: small 2mm pilot hole, a load of brand new drill bits (including cobalt ones), 4mm hole, even a 1.5mm one. Nothing seems to cut through the bolt, which is completely baffling. A hacksaw cuts into the top of the bolt with ease. I can't undestand why I can't drill it! I managed to get two different bolt extractors to at least engage, the first one (more of a screw extractor) just ended up completely rounded off. The second (much heavier duty) just stripped material off the bolt.
I'm completely flumoxed by this so any suggestions would be extremely welcome.
One idea I had is to use the other hole in the engine block, which holds the bracket to fit a longer steady bar. Anybody have an opinion on whether that's a really bad idea or not?

You need a snapped stud type bracket, it uses the bolts on the clutch cover to support the engine.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,946 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 16 July 2023 - 02:08 PM   Best Answer

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

might be the fix you need.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 16 July 2023 - 02:25 PM

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

might be the fix you need.

That's the one, cheers Nick

#5 Speakjava

Speakjava

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 05:34 PM

OMG! Thank you so much! This looks like the perfect answer to my problem. I will order on tomorrow.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users