#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 August 2023 - 12:23 PM

Outer London today but coming to a town near you soon?

U96TNqf.jpg

#2 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 12:52 PM

Working for the people? Or dictating to the people? Doesn’t seem to matter what colour is “in charge”.. the motorist is always treated as a cash cow

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 18 August 2023 - 01:20 PM

I can see a life times work for someone, cleaning paint off the camera lens;  which leads me to another thought.

I wonder what name will be given to the long "Selfie Stick" that holds a paint aerosol ?

#4 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 01:26 PM

I'm not totally against ulez to be honest.. with the exception of special cars like the mini you drive at weekends or a fun Sunday drive car etc anyone who lives in a ulez zone has had about 4 or 5 years to get sorted with a compliant car it's not like they sprung it on us all of a sudden

I bought my volvo daily 4 years ago now and it was one of the first things I checked

What does worry me is the future possiblities that having anpr everywhere now means they could potentially inflict any pay by the mile charge they want and we're over a barrel

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 02:51 PM

What does worry me is the future possiblities that having anpr everywhere now means they could potentially inflict any pay by the mile charge they want and we're over a barrel

Check out the link below....

London Assembly - The future of smart road user charging February 2023:-

https://www.london.g...Evidence _0.pdf

TfL will use ULEZ revenues for the next 3 or 4 years to pay off the costs of installing the camera monitoring infrastructure. They have stated they expect ULEZ revenues to shrink to almost zero by 2027 as older cars disappear from the roads. The expensive to operate monitoring infrastructure will then lack any revenue. Will they abandon it because all vehicles are now compliant or decide ALL vehicles now need to pay and introduce pay per mile road user charging to replace what ULEZ generated? I think we can all guess the answer to that question.....

#6 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 03:10 PM

Just a thought, if no one pays the ULEZ charge could TFL afford to take each individual to court to get their money?.

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 03:27 PM

I can see a life times work for someone, cleaning paint off the camera lens;  which leads me to another thought.

I wonder what name will be given to the long "Selfie Stick" that holds a paint aerosol ?

Tree loppers seem to work....

Anti-Ulez 'Blade Runner' campaigner chops down enforcement cameras with tree lopper:-

https://www.standard...a-b1100577.html

or unbolting them...

Edited by mab01uk, 18 August 2023 - 06:12 PM.

#8 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 03:44 PM

It's all very amusing when people damage these cameras, but the tax payer pays to replace them. 

#9 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 04:08 PM

TfL will use ULEZ revenues for the next 3 or 4 years to pay off the costs of installing the camera monitoring infrastructure. They have stated they expect ULEZ revenues to shrink to almost zero by 2027 as older cars disappear from the roads. The expensive to operate monitoring infrastructure will then lack any revenue. Will they abandon it because all vehicles are now compliant or decide ALL vehicles now need to pay and introduce pay per mile road user charging to replace what ULEZ generated? I think we can all guess the answer to that question.....

well exactly

clean air is great and I think we should all welcome it but  ^^ that is the problem 

the goverment will blatantly abuse the cameras for their personal gain when all the dirt-belchers are finally off the road and they're not making money any more

#10 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 04:56 PM

well exactly

clean air is great and I think we should all welcome it but ^^ that is the problem

the goverment will blatantly abuse the cameras for their personal gain when all the dirt-belchers are finally off the road and they're not making money any more
They sure will! Like when we all paid for the Dartford crossing… we were told it would be free once the cost was covered.
Once the cost was covered it was sold to the French and the crossing price went up.
We were told it was increased again to cover staffing costs but eventually they removed the on site staff but did the cost go down, stay the same or go up? Lol

I’m all for clean air too but it’s just an excuse that’s used against us over and over.. the people “in charge” who make the rules should be the ones to legislate manufacturers long before implementing changes and make the infrastructure suitable rather than charge the drivers for governing failure

The French don’t stand for this cr@p but we just seem a little too compliant… I guess we are used to being lied to over and over

Edited by Lowestoftmodder, 18 August 2023 - 04:58 PM.

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 August 2023 - 06:06 PM

What's the issue with pay as you drive? It's what you do now if you buy petrol.

It would be better if more car running costs were directly related to car usage. If they were, when we had the option of using public transport, we'd be able to make a fair cost comparison.

#12 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 06:21 PM

I'm fairly sure they won't get rid of the other costs so it will be insurance, tax, petrol, residents parking if that applies to you AND then pay per mile as well.   if it replaces tax, then I suppose fair enough but I'm willing to bet that won't be the case

actually in my case mileage is pretty minimal so I have less to complain about than many others.. but if its the first case i.e. all the existing costs and more, then I won't be happy about it

they've added another cunning little scheme round this way as well, anyone else seeing this one?  school roads.  if you drive down them between 8.45 and 9.15 that's £60 please.  honestly I have to plan my routes so carefully now and everywhere I go I'm looking out for signs.. just waiting for that court case where I have to say 'sorry your honour I was TRYING to drive with due care and attention but I was also trying not to get fined so yes I did accidently kill that complete moron who was whizzing about 2 up on an electric scooter with their 5 year old kid, neither of them wearing helmets or paying any heed to the highway code' 

not sure if it's obvious but I get annoyed a lot driving round my neck of the woods lol 

my missus keeps telling me off that when she drives with the kids in the car they say things like 'come on mate get out the way' and 'what's this div doing'   :lol:

Edited by stuart bowes, 18 August 2023 - 06:41 PM.

#13 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 August 2023 - 06:40 PM

60 quid per trip? I can see some logic as kids are disproportionately affected, but I'd like to think it'd only happen where there are reasonable alternative routes.

...or does it just move the school run forwards half an hour  O_O

#14 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 06:44 PM

exactly - the same jams happen just earlier in the day and around the corner before the cameras start

I can sort of see where they're coming from, clean air around the school, safer roads etc, but it's not really the answer

obviously residents of those roads can apply for exemption, that would be crazy otherwise

Edited by stuart bowes, 18 August 2023 - 06:51 PM.

#15 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 06:50 PM

Also have School roads camera zones around my way.  If you drive down the road between 8.45 and 9.15 £60 fine in the post a couple of weeks later.....catches out lots of people who are not local and aware what the confusing signs mean.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users