47 replies to this topic

#1 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:04 PM

hi all, its time, im going to put a computer in my car, i just need a screen, a inverter and a way to get the sound to go though the car speakers.
i don't have a head unit that has inputs because im cheep. so i know u can get funny radio things first question is What are they called and where can i get one?
right then i need a screen that can take a PC in put or i need a graphic card with Tv out. where can i get a screen cheep?
thanks
Alex.

#2 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:12 PM

whats ur car security like?

what boot lock have you got?

where will the car be parked over night?

#3 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:21 PM

i saw those 'funny radio things' at the sandown show a couple of months back, they seem ok but i dont think the quality is anything to write home about. im sorry but i cant remember the name i didnt pay much attention, you could always try upgrading to a headunit with an Aux input for your sound.

I also build PC's so i know a reasonable bit about them too. You will need a TV out graphics card. I have an ATi one which cost me about 40 quid, its got TV out and DVI out as well. Simple and easy to fit. I once considered putting one of my laptops into the boot and have the screen come through a false boot floor, but never got round to it.

And yes, i have a VERY good alarm, as anyone putting mods on there car should have.

James

#4 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:52 PM

the screen would be hidden in the glove box and i have the standerd boot lock, i have the W&P alarm in the car currently.
problem with changing the head unit is a Alpine with Aux is f**ing pricy.
and i won't have any other make other than a alpine unit. i mite just get a in car DVD player and screen combo deal thing and leave it at that.

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:54 PM

I believe that 'funny radio things' like those that allow you to use a CD changer with any old head unit are really very illegal. You aren't allowed to transmit on FM without a very expensive lisence. These things turn your car into a pirate radio station and if you get found transmitting they can (and will) impound and crush your car. That's what I believe but I may be wrong. But as Madmax says, they ain't all that hot anyway.

#6 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:14 PM

u mean the "FM modulator".. its not illegal because u dont transmist actuall FM signals.

i have a 7.2" STN LCD (16:9) screen for sale... sold all my in car PC equipment, just got the inverter and screen left. oh and an old 450mhz i had.

Yours for £60, i cud say more but i lent it to the old man, so it has a couple light scratches on it...

delivery would be about..... £5. if ur interested PM me and ill get u the proper price, pics etc.

#7 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:16 PM

PS- with a carPC u dont need a head unit, buy an amp and a PCI soundblaster live, or audigy 2 if u can afford it, and pipe it straight thru ur amp.

#8 Miniman

Miniman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:47 AM

dnt pcsrun off 240v though and a mini 12v

#9 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 12:30 PM

yeah a pc is 240v AC but thats what the inverter thing is for, it gives u a 240v plug in the car running from the car battie

#10 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 12:47 PM

your not serious are you! your going to put a PC in the easyest car on the plannet to nick!

#11 Alex1380

Alex1380

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 12:48 PM

mighty_mini please email me at [email protected] so we can work out a deal.
thanks

#12 Cheese

Cheese

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:49 PM

this might sound like a stupid idea, but why not just get a laptop??
:grin:

#13 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:00 PM

i though about this but using a laptop. you can pick them up with a faulty screen for a song. My idea was to try and find a laptop preferably with tv-out already in and then just remove the built in screen and keyboard (you could use a usb keyboard when you need to). This would be a cheap way into car multimedia and the laptop would be better because its smaller and is designed to be moved about so no internal components would be damaged. Just think you could fit around 550 albums on a 40 gig drive, plus you could use it as a dvd player even 5.1 surround sound! store your movie clips, pctv, the possibilties are endless.

#14 bankxi

bankxi

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:40 AM

i have a laptop now and never thort about using it in the car lol what a good idea in that cas its better than a ps2 aswell as you can still play games on it aswell lol this is great i will have to do this what do i need again my laptop has a tv out so what do i need?

#15 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:26 AM

I couldn't find a way to PM pictures, so here is my screen...

Attached Files

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users