47 replies to this topic

#31 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 03:44 PM

kool this all looks really kool or ye does ne1 kno y thy make pc cases so big wen thy have so much room left in them i could fit my pc into such a smaller cae and i alredy have a midi case

Big cases hold more harddrives, CD-ROMs, bigger (better) graphics cards, more power supplies, and more fans!

Oh, and you can frighten little children with them.

A PC that I built for someone earlier this year was in a massive case, it was ~50" high.

As for hard drives. To be safe, I'd soft-mount them, eg. have rubber washers between them and the case to absorb vibrations. Make sure it's mounted horizontally, as this reduces wear on the head. Also, I'd go for either a Maxtor or a Western Digital branded drive, as these are regarded as the most sturdy.

#32 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 08:29 PM

the drive that i'm using is a western digital, althouigh its only a 10gig and a few years old now but i think it will be okay, rubber mounting sounds like a good idea too. If i have any trouble with it i think i may replace it with a laptop one instead.

#33 Miniman

Miniman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 05:38 PM

kool i have a western digital :D :D :D

#34 Pippy

Pippy

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 11:50 AM

My hubby is mounting his laptop on a sliding shelf under the dash in his clubby.. says we need it for Autoroute when we go to spain! Does he have no faith in my map reading skills!!

I'll get some piccies up when he has does it!

Pips

#35 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:58 PM

yeah i thought of doing that but using my 7" tft screen, i didn't think about using auto route, oh yet more possibilities

#36 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:07 PM

how much of a pain in the arse would booting it up and shutting it down every time you start/stop the car..

#37 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:31 PM

I'm only gonna use it for mp3 mainly and there are dos based players you can get so it only takes about 15 seconds to load and away you go, Then if i wanted to use say autoroute i would have to load windows but lets face it you're only really gonna use that on long journeys anyway.

#38 Pippy

Pippy

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 11:12 AM

how much of a pain in the arse would booting it up and shutting it down every time you start/stop the car..

Hubby is a pooter systems consultant... he's always got time to fiddle with stuff!! :P :P :wink:

#39 tom

tom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 02:19 PM

Laptops, while much smaller than normal PCs, are much slower, and much more expensive. You can pick up a Maxtor 80gig drive for under £50, I hate to think how much the same sized laptop drive would cost.

#40 Pippy

Pippy

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 12:59 PM

When you a pooter consultant - everything becomes much cheaper.. :grin: Things are 'aquired'.

He He

#41 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 07:55 PM

use map point..and get a gps receiver...

#42 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 06:24 PM

Been mucking about with the in car pc idea again, i've sorted most of the hardware out i just need to order a 300watt power invertor so i can run the ps2 and the pc (although not at the same time).
I've been looking into input devices and have already got the hardware for an infra-red remote and have just ordered a 20 digit usb keypad so i can control my tunes. Iam also looking at infra-red remotes with built in trackball (works a bit like a mouse).
I've also found some great software that can play mp3, mpegs and other media files and can also be programmed to work with the keypad so thats good.
I'll let you all know how i get on once its all up and running but its looking quite promising so far.

#43 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 20 October 2004 - 08:21 PM

sounds good this one, an idea i have toyed with in the past. be interesting to see how it turns out.

#44 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 11:21 PM

still fancy doing something like this in mine but no where near clued up enough on comps

rob

#45 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:37 AM

It's not that hard really, once i've got mine up and running and have sloved any problems i'm gonna do a guide so that almost anyone can do it. i'm also gonna price up what it would cost to do one from scratch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users