7 replies to this topic

#1 tpg

tpg

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 04:35 PM

Hi can you help please. Long storey short, I have converted a Jet Black Mini 998cc to Look like a Cooper. I have put a Metro MG cam with a 4 Degree woodruff key timed to 106 Degrees BTDC. It has a 12G295 Cooper head, It has D-Top cooper pistons, 2 HS 2 Carbs with Rich needles and Blue springs, a Dissy D45 with blue points. When driven it pulls away well but during acceleration to build up speed or to change gear or stay in gear to go faster there is no power to accelerate hard. To go faster I come of the accelerator to build up speed slowly. I have tried to replicate cooper spec but cannot solve the power loss. I think it may be timing?? what are your thoughts and can you advise? many thanks

#2 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 05:08 PM

Just try advancing it a bit and see if it feels better. If you get pinking you've gone too far. What is the timing currently set to?

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 03 November 2023 - 05:09 PM

Where are you located? If in the UK, have a word with AC Dodd or someone with his training to optimise your car

#4 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 03 November 2023 - 07:50 PM

To start you need to check the timing at various points throughout the rpm range.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 03 November 2023 - 09:17 PM

The original and stock 998 distributor won't suit that spec of engine, you'll need to have it re-curved to suit.

#6 tpg

tpg

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 04:47 PM

Hi Spider, thanks for info. Could you elaborate on what I should need to do or use to get this engine running properly.
Thanks

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,417 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 February 2024 - 05:41 PM

The older Haynes's had advance data for most engines. That'd give you a starting point if it's close to a stock 998 Cooper, but we don't have leaded petrol anymore even if it was identical.

A good starting point would be to measure what advance you are getting (vac disconnected) using a strobe & rev counter - you should need less if all your goodies are filling the cylinders better and the compression is higher.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,936 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 February 2024 - 08:17 PM

Hi Spider, thanks for info. Could you elaborate on what I should need to do or use to get this engine running properly.
Thanks

This probably isn't helpful in answering you question here, but it does cover why you need advance, why all engine specs have different requirements and most importantly, the pitfalls of getting it wrong;-

https://www.theminif...d-distributors/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users