#1 WanaGo

WanaGo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 11:06 PM

Hi All,

I have a 1978 Morris Mini 1000 LE (New Zealand only Limited Edition) which I am restoring (or at least getting back on the road - I am not returning it to the LE spec), as its rather sad at the moment.

It should be a MK4, however this is a New Zealand assembled one, and it seems they used up some previous years parts in some of the cars, and mine was one of them. Its very weird, but speaking to a number of experts over here, it happened alot.

It has MK3 lights (no reverse light), in-line brake switch on the front subframe (rather than on the brake pedal), and a few other things like that.

Anyway, this question is about the Reverse switch.

I am not with the mini at the moment so cant check, but on the gear changer itself should be the reverse switch - correct?

This car, given it has MK3 rear lights, also has MK3 rear loom it seems, as there is no reverse wire at all, not even to a separate light. I am planning to change this as I personally want MK4 lights with reverse.

Another thing is I assume the MK4 rear lights can bolt in place of where the MK3 ones were - without any metal changes required? Not something I have looked into yet.

On the gear changer housing, will there be a bung/plug or something where the reverse switch would thread into, or will it be blanked off in the casting and need to be drilled/tapped, or what would be the story you think?

Are MK3 gear changers identical to MK4?

I wont be able to check for another week or so, and I wanted to get some bits ordered, such as the switch itself, and just curious if I will need to get a Tap also - if I do, any idea of the thread size?

Thanks very much

Edited by WanaGo, 25 January 2024 - 11:07 PM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,946 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 January 2024 - 11:34 PM

Ok. The big rear lights came in with the MK2 1967 and the reverse lights came in in 1977 MK4.

the basic rod type change did not change till the HIF carbs came in as the engine was moved forward.

not all the rod change housings were drilled for reverse switches and it seems they have been fitted to either side of the housing. Factory or Home fixing I am not sure of. Many owners fitted the switch to update there cars….

#3 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 11:39 PM

judging by the description on the accompanying lock nut as detailed by mini spares it appears to be 3/8 unc 

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

it would be mounted on the left side of the housing IIRC, so that moving the stick to the right and back, the bottom end of the stick (below the pivot point) moves to the left and forwards, hitting the button.. at least it is on mine, others may vary for reasons unknown to me

fed on mine from the generic green switched live supply via that switch and on to the back where obviously it connects to the reverse lamp

Edited by stuart bowes, 25 January 2024 - 11:47 PM.

#4 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 25 January 2024 - 11:55 PM

The Clubman minis assembled in Australia used “Mk2” type rear lights, and then used twin filament bulbs on the top. They used the indicators as normal, then they both came on solid when it’s in reverse

This was pretty common here to have amber reverse lights when they first made them mandatory in the 70’s

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 26 January 2024 - 05:49 AM

The lack of Reverse Lights almost certainly was to do with the market the car was made for rather than what was rolling off the line in the UK for the local UK market. Where they could save money, on items like these, regardless where the car was assembled. Likewise, some of these non-UK markets might have needed additional equipment, that would cost extra, eg emission controls. So, you can be sure, on your Mini, if reversing lights weren't legislated at that time, they wouldn't have been fitted.

There's references throughout the UK Parts books for certain alternatives and deletions for various markets for cars that were of UK assembly, though these notations are not always foolproof.

As best I am aware, there was only 2 types of Rod Shift Housings. All from the start had provision for a Reverse Light Switch and if that wasn't required, then a plastic plug was fitted in to the hole. Later housings had 2 holes, one for the reverse switch and another for a start inhibitor switch for the German Market that would only allow the car to be started when the shifter is in the Neutral position (one of those export market things I touched on above).

It's a simple matter of removing the plastic plug and fitting a Switch, with a Lock Nut but be aware, these do need to be adjusted, don't se them too deep or it'll prevent you from engaging Reverse and also likely damaging the switch.

You'll need to run in all the wires of course. It might be worth having a closer look at the Lamp Assemblies you have as they may have a Reverse Lamp in them as Tim mentioned above, or if they don't then the later assemblies are a bolt in fit.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,946 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 January 2024 - 07:56 AM

Don’t forget the emissions switch that was activated in 4 gear. (Might have been Metro only though).

#7 WanaGo

WanaGo

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 08:05 AM

Brilliant, thank you everyone, that is all great information!

The lack of Reverse Lights almost certainly was to do with the market the car was made for rather than what was rolling off the line in the UK for the local UK market. Where they could save money, on items like these, regardless where the car was assembled. Likewise, some of these non-UK markets might have needed additional equipment, that would cost extra, eg emission controls. So, you can be sure, on your Mini, if reversing lights weren't legislated at that time, they wouldn't have been fitted.

There's references throughout the UK Parts books for certain alternatives and deletions for various markets for cars that were of UK assembly, though these notations are not always foolproof.

As best I am aware, there was only 2 types of Rod Shift Housings. All from the start had provision for a Reverse Light Switch and if that wasn't required, then a plastic plug was fitted in to the hole. Later housings had 2 holes, one for the reverse switch and another for a start inhibitor switch for the German Market that would only allow the car to be started when the shifter is in the Neutral position (one of those export market things I touched on above).

It's a simple matter of removing the plastic plug and fitting a Switch, with a Lock Nut but be aware, these do need to be adjusted, don't se them too deep or it'll prevent you from engaging Reverse and also likely damaging the switch.

You'll need to run in all the wires of course. It might be worth having a closer look at the Lamp Assemblies you have as they may have a Reverse Lamp in them as Tim mentioned above, or if they don't then the later assemblies are a bolt in fit.

Excellent! Thank you.

As soon as I get home I will try and spy if this has a plug. Given it has no wires in the loom, I am certain it must then have the plastic plug as you said, which makes it incredibly easy to do what I was hoping to do.

I am going to get a new loom, front and rear anyway, as the plastic plugs are disintegrating, and there has been some very dodgy wiring going on (involving wood screws in places!) in the engine bay, and yeah - I dont want wiring gremlins, so that is all going to be swapped out.

Thank you everyone, this has been a great help!

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 26 January 2024 - 08:37 AM

If it's the original Shifter Housing, the hole will be here (just ignore the measurements);-

LfpD8KJ.jpg

You can just see the switch in this pic

DHpkc2o.jpg

#9 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 26 January 2024 - 09:25 AM

whoops was it front right not front left 

memory failing me in old age lol and now I look at those pictures I seem to recall having the same discussion not that long ago as well 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users