By fun I mean expense...

#18 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 10:29 AM

is it just me or does that spare wheel bracket look too far down, like the tow ball is in the way of where the wheel would sit

#19 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 25 March 2024 - 10:49 AM

Maybe a Space save 10" mini wheel.. landrover were on a budget back then....

But your right...

#20 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 10:54 AM

3 and a half wheel drive   :lol:

#21 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:41 PM

is it just me or does that spare wheel bracket look too far down, like the tow ball is in the way of where the wheel would sit

yes, I noticed that yesterday - I wondered if the idea was that the wheel would sit on the towbar taking some strain off the hinges? 

#22 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:56 PM

maybe.. or the tow ball was a more recent addition ?

one downside to having a spare on the back door we found out was, in a crash it shakes the door violently and shatters the glass all over the floor in the back.

we found this out when someone was daft enough to pull out suddenly in front of my dad doing about 50mph in a later imported county 110.  to be fair though that was the least of the issues not least of which was the snapped exhaust manifold (hear that v8 coming from about 10 miles away..) and a bent chassis (write off, basically)

nothing of course compared to the state of the car that caused it (drunk, as it turned out)

#23 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:40 AM

We found this out when someone was daft enough to pull out suddenly in front of my dad doing about 50mph in a later imported county 110.  to be fair though that was the least of the issues not least of which was the snapped exhaust manifold (hear that v8 coming from about 10 miles away..) and a bent chassis (write off, basically)

Nothing of course compared to the state of the car that caused it (drunk, as it turned out)

Interestingly, back when we had a Transport and Road Research Laboratory, it was noticed that Land Rovers were involved in an unusually

high number of accidents where other vehicles pulled out in front of them at night.

They discovered that drivers subconciously used the spacing of the headlights as a means to determine how far away the oncoming vehicle was.

Landies, with the headlamps on the grille gave them a false sense of security. It was this discovery which precipitated the headlights move out on to the front of the wings.

Something to remember for any of you who run around with only spots/fogs on.

Ah! the old days, when the government cared about understanding why road accidents occurred.

#24 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 27 March 2024 - 01:23 PM

I had a similar experience turning right out of a minor road. Nothing coming from the right, looked to the left saw one light that looked some distance away. Pulled out and then suddenly realized it was a car with only the offside headlight on and that was not very bright. Put my foot to the floor to avoid them hitting me and ended up doing 50 in a 30. Next thing I knew Blues and Twos right up my backside. Pulled over at the next convenient spot. Mr Plodicus Motorcus exited his car and came over to me and asked what the hell I was doing. I said excuse me office but may I show something that might interest you and explain why I pulled out in front then accelerated hard to avoid you hitting me. He acknowledged as to why I was speeding and my quick reaction then muttered something under his breathe as it meant that that was the end of his motoring duties that night as his vehicle was not fit for purpose. I understand but not sure for certain that if your are booked for a traffic offence and the police patrol car is obviously defective you can dispute your ticket on the bases that the police should not have been out on the road.

By the way I was not driving my daughter's mini at the time.

#25 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 12:31 PM

The kids at my youth motor project have been taking wheels off to check brake shoes and cylinders (all good so far) and I have cut off one very rusty door top. Yesterday my son and I unbolted the bumper (which was a tricky one due to the support plates being bent over covering the mounting bolt nuts), ready for straightening which will require a very heavy duty press! We also removed the grille panel which requires some welding and cut off the 2nd door top.

New galvanised door tops are on order and I have a kit of new brake pipes to fit - might need to remove the tub to fit the rears.

Vjk9hHZ.jpg

ywiHqbB.jpg

Edited by johnR, 14 April 2024 - 12:32 PM.

#26 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 04:27 PM

..that bumper has certainly seen some action  :lol:

#27 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members