#1 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 11:37 AM

Hello

Shortly starting the bodywork and I have a dilemma. I bought these panels for the floor from M-Machine. 

The rear part of the floor looks solid I would like te keep it - the rear quarter pieces at least - but I don't know yet what is under the paint.

Should I replace the whole tunnel I bought or cut where it is necessary - around beneath the cross member ?

I feel that with a whole tunnel the floor would be more stiff (?)

Attached File  20240227_102416.jpg   42.16K   2 downloads

Attached File  20231109_144521 (1).jpg   70.99K   5 downloads

Attached File  20231109_142923.jpg   80.29K   4 downloads

Edited by gaspen, 27 February 2024 - 11:38 AM.

#2 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 27 February 2024 - 12:16 PM

If you replace the tunnel then the total length of welded joins is many times more than just cutting across. You could do something like bring the tunnel just past the handbrake.

#3 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 27 February 2024 - 01:20 PM

I think you need to know what is going on under the cross member to start with. If all the back tunnel, floor, inner sills and seat belt mounts are fine I wouldn't disturb them.

Just replace the front floors and what you need to of the tunnel. I know that a lot of people tend replace the whole floor in one go as they say it is easier to do, in terms of time taken, the the panel is a lot of money to start with.

#4 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 February 2024 - 02:39 PM

Look at the heelboard end of the tunnel from underneath and then decide.It would be simple To use the heelboard cross member and toeboard to weld some temporary support to.Steve..

#5 Davidmt

Davidmt

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 05:58 PM

I bought just the front floor part and then lifted the crossmember. I then went back and got the full floor length as the area under the crossmember was also badly corroded. Looks like yours could be the same.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 27 February 2024 - 08:53 PM

Also look inside the companion boxes as well. Hindsight being a wonderful thing, i should have replaced the complete floor on my lads car Project Erm instead of dicking around replacing front pans and parts of the rear floor.

#7 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 11:27 AM

Finnally a purchased two half floors from M-Machine. I will weld them to the new tunnel for a new, complete floor 

As I see only Magnum produces the crossmember for the round tunnel floor, I guess also MM sells this 

I am right ?

#8 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 12:44 PM

as the cross member is mostly flat pieces with 90deg bends can you not extract the existing one and clean it up, inspect, I'm sure a man of your skills would be able to repair that with his eyes closed

whether that's worth doing depends how bad it is ..  the rot is more likely to the floor underneath though

does look like you made the right call doing the whole floor though in the long run thats a better decision imo

Edited by stuart bowes, 20 April 2024 - 12:46 PM.

#9 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 01:20 PM

Yes I think I will go for repair. I purchased two hinge repair panel from Magnum and I don't really like them, I bet the crossmember won't be better

Another idea to bend a simple "hat" form tunnel by a local company and then I could modify it for the floor's shape

And a language question : how do you say in english when a sheet metal has a stretch somewhere in the middle and therefore it "jumps" or "pops" from one shape to another ? It is like "oil-canning" on a body panel

Edited by gaspen, 20 April 2024 - 02:58 PM.

#10 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 03:10 PM

Well yeah oil canning is a slang term for it but if we're talking about a change in shape caused by welding id say it was heat deformation (the part is deformed) or warpage (the part is warped)

Unless there's another technical term for that popping from one of position to another that I'm not aware of which is entirely possible

Edited by stuart bowes, 20 April 2024 - 03:17 PM.

#11 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 03:52 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear enough  :mmkay:

It is more like a tension which remains in the panel after the manufacturing process. Both of the half floors have this attitude, I want to remove it before welding 

Here is a short video :

https://photos.app.g...ZDnzPzbqx83U8h9

#12 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 05:32 PM

Ah I see what you mean, can't help there I'm afraid although I'm tempted to think it might not be an issue once all welded in ?

Would be nice to to see if anyone else has suggestions though just as a point of interest

Edited by stuart bowes, 20 April 2024 - 05:33 PM.

#13 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 07:09 PM

I would be happy to align a good, straight panel instead of a warped one  :lol:

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 08:24 PM

Oil canning / tin canning wording we still use even on metal skinned Aircraft.

Heat distortion or warping is different but still looks similar. Very difficult to remove and will require a shrinking hammer, however its a skillied thing to master. I gave it a good go with a cheap shrinking hammer and to be honest it was not good. In this particular case i should have bought a decent hammer but in the end i opted for a more expensive approach and that was to buy a Heritage Clubman bonnet.

Now you can spend sometime with a decent panel beating hammer and block to help tidy the various bits of distortion up as you weld things together. You may find the heat generated by the welder and knocking the welds back will allow you to dress things. I did that with my M Machine inner sill to first flute. Clamped eeverything in place using Intergrips, then tack welded. I dressed back as much of any distortion / warping then went on to fully welding in place. The trick here is if you are knocking the welds back flat, make sure you do not thing the metal out.

Also to prevent any further warping or to minimise it i used Frosts Cold Front. Bascially a clay type putty that is used as heat soak and also some flattened copper pipe, again to use as a heat soak but also when used under the area you are going to weld it allows you to butt weld thin metal like the floor without blowing holes.

#15 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 08:26 PM

This is the Cold Front Putty i sued on my Quarter panels

a62310e0d82d43a6922d16ec33c3f68fd5ad9b10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users