#1 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 13 March 2024 - 06:26 AM

Does anyone know of a magnetic trigger distributor to fit a mini? Something like the Lucas CEI. I am looking for something to trigger an external ignition system.

It doesn't even need advance.

I'll use the internals of a 65d if I have to or I have a Nippon Denso distributor which could be an option too. Most electronic distributors which can have the electronics removed should work.

Edited by 68+86auto, 13 March 2024 - 06:27 AM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 March 2024 - 07:42 AM

A or A+?

or use a trigger wheel to trigger and just the dizzy to point at the correct plug.

used by some systems where the dizzy has to remain due to regulations.

Edited by nicklouse, 13 March 2024 - 07:42 AM.

#3 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 08:31 AM

A or A+?

or use a trigger wheel to trigger and just the dizzy to point at the correct plug.

used by some systems where the dizzy has to remain due to regulations.

A+ but also interested if there is something for A but not important.

For one of the setups I am planning, I should've just bought some kind of crank trigger setup. I only really thought about that after I bought the CB performance black box.

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 13 March 2024 - 09:24 AM

That is a pretty cute signature for someone called Richter Scale

#5 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 10:13 AM

would a points conversion kit like this be of use or am I missing something...?

https://simonbbc.com...tributor-K4--R2

#6 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 10:41 AM

would a points conversion kit like this be of use or am I missing something...?

https://simonbbc.com...tributor-K4--R2

No. It would actually "do the job" but it isn't what I'm looking for.

What I want is an ignition system with no electronics on the engine. Points work fine as points or to trigger my external modules, I just would like something even more reliable. The Lucas CEI setup would be ideal, I only need the distributor. The CEI setup had a reluctor setup in the distributor which is basically coils and magnets - no electronics. That then connected to an external box which actually just had a GM HEI module inside. Most electronic distributors worked this way, even if the module was bolted to the distributor.

reluctor.jpg

There are two ignition systems I am building. one is a CB performance black box which allows for advance configuration etc. The other one is based on a GM HEI module. The GM modules get installed on absolutely anything due to the price and reliability, that includes mowers and even Fords  :D . Both of these can be triggered by points and will last a very long time but a reluctor setup will last even longer.

Edited by 68+86auto, 13 March 2024 - 11:22 AM.

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 04:39 PM

I would  just use a trigger wheel and lock the dizzy bob weights up. 

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,936 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 March 2024 - 05:42 PM

This is a 'distributor' I made a few years back. It has a double chopper, one if for crank angle and the other for cam angle, the latter so the Ignition system knows what cycle the engine is on;-

r7dtgji.jpg

The double chopper disc and double pick-up is based on a late V8 Commodore. I fed this in to a Haltech 550 and a coil on plug arrangement.

A similar distributor I'm told that has this double chopper plate set up is a Mitsubishi Magna TTF (I don't know if that the car's model or the distributors). However be it this way or what I did, the body and shaft you'll need to make and it's far from perfect as far as ignition timing accuracy, in that it's no better then a conventional distributor.

Ideally a Crank based Trigger is best and a Cam position sensor to go with it if you don't want to go to a Wasted Spark arrangement. You could look to the MPi for how they did it on that.

If going to a Trigger Wheel, in mounting it to the Damper, I'd suggest mount it to the hub of the Damper and not the outer ring or picking up off the Flywheel is a better arrangement.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 07:18 PM

Have read http://www.polestars...nstructions.pdf

I have used both trigger methods. The original that still used the dizzy to send the spark to the correct plug and a MED Trigger wheel and wasted spark. The damper bolts on to the wheel so no issues there.

#10 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 13 March 2024 - 10:31 PM

You can get a new 59D (A+) or 45D from power spark with a high energy magnetic style pickup like this. You can also get with or without vac advance 

https://www.ebay.com...tm/122531183868

Just to add I've been using a cheap 25D accuspark points replacement with my Accuspark blackbox since 2016 and it hasn't had an issue. Perhaps once the coil amp load is taken off the module and transferred to the blackbox the module lasts longer or I've just got lucky

Attached Files

#11 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 11:02 PM

You can get a new 59D (A+) or 45D from power spark with a high energy magnetic style pickup like this. You can also get with or without vac advance 

https://www.ebay.com...tm/122531183868

Just to add I've been using a cheap 25D accuspark points replacement with my Accuspark blackbox since 2016 and it hasn't had an issue. Perhaps once the coil amp load is taken off the module and transferred to the blackbox the module lasts longer or I've just got lucky

I hadn't seen that powerspark option however it's actually a hall effect distributor which does then have electronics in it. Magnetic ones are basically a generator so don't have any kind of electronics on them.

Taking the load off the module will definitely extend the life of the module. It reduces the heat.

Heat is what kills electronics. Even when manufacturers had the modules on the outside of distributors, they found moving them away from the engine massively increased reliability. Ford TFI is an example of that, they started out on the distributor but moved them to be separate due to the failure rate.

#12 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 11:07 PM

I have found that there is a metro distributor which should work for what I want, it is the 59DM4. Apparently Lucas had however switched to an inferior Bosch module so the windings might not be compatible, I suspect they'll be fine though. The problem is finding one, there is one on eBay but it's a bit expensive. There is a 45DM4 on eBay too but that won't fit an A+.

I was thinking that surely at some stage someone made an aftermarket HEI setup to fit Lucas distributors.

Edited by 68+86auto, 13 March 2024 - 11:08 PM.

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,936 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 March 2024 - 11:56 PM

I was thinking that surely at some stage someone made an aftermarket HEI setup to fit Lucas distributors.

Another possible option is a Scorcher Distributor - been ages since I dealt with them. They are based in Melbourne and make distributors for A and A+ Series (and many other engines) based on Bosch Dissy's. 

Performance Ignition Systems is the company;-

https://performancei...m.au/p/scorcher

#14 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 14 March 2024 - 12:17 AM

I did have a 45DM4 a few years ago which was part of a “Mini-Sparc” kit that mini king used to sell. It used a Bosch HEC coil which are rated at 0.4ohms as the additional module had a high amp rating and automatically variable dwell

Rather annoyingly I sold it to go with an original style 25D, then later after doing some research I found out that it was probably one of the best high power systems for a mini…

Here’s an article on the concept. I don’t know if the blackbox would have been compatible with this setup
https://www.autospee..._113193/article

Attached Files

#15 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 01:31 AM

I did have a 45DM4 a few years ago which was part of a “Mini-Sparc” kit that mini king used to sell. It used a Bosch HEC coil which are rated at 0.4ohms as the additional module had a high amp rating and automatically variable dwell

Rather annoyingly I sold it to go with an original style 25D, then later after doing some research I found out that it was probably one of the best high power systems for a mini…

Here’s an article on the concept. I don’t know if the blackbox would have been compatible with this setup
https://www.autospee..._113193/article

That's exactly what I want to do but with a GM HEI module, basically the same thing (I think the modules even use the same hole spacing). It does seem to be the best ignition system.

The CB performance black box can be triggered by one of these distributors too. That's my plan for a 1275 that I have since I don't even have a 1275 distributor.

Edited by 68+86auto, 14 March 2024 - 01:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users