#1 BobbyMax

BobbyMax

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 10:54 AM

Hi all,

I'm looking to get some paint (Ermine white) orderd up for my Clubbys underside as i would like to get it off the rotis and back on to it's feet

Attached File  20240409_164354.jpg   47.74K   3 downloads

I'm thinking 2k for the underside as everthing is telling me it's harder wearing but I'm not sure about using it for the rest of car?

Anyway can anyone point me in the direction
for a paint supplier that does 2k kits with everything included. Also some help with my decision whether 2k is the way to go for the rest oh the car would be very helpfull

Thanks all,
Bobby.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,971 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 April 2024 - 11:14 AM

Do you have the correct breathing apparatus for sparing 2k?

if you do then why are you asking?

if not then you are not using 2k.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 28 April 2024 - 11:17 AM

2K is normally harder wearing but the issue with using it is you need protective breathing equipment etc, so forced air breathing, extraction that should be filtered.

It cost me a chunk of change prepping my old workshop I shared with a mate to make a rudimentary spray booth. I was lucky to have a large enough compressor that I could use as a source of air for breathing and spraying as my original one I used for breathing air seized ( my fault)

My compressor is a 200 ltr 4hp beast which I rigged up with a Y splitter. One side to my breathing air filters, the other side to another filter/deoiler. My forced air breathing mask I already had but it’s not cheap.

2k can be difficult to buy although I got mine from Autopaints in Brighton. In fact they supplied all of my stuff from filler, to paint consumables, compressor fittings etc. so a one stop shop for me. Plus they also mixed 1k spray cans for some other stuff I did. Not sure if they did 2K aerosol cans or not. Now regulations change all the time H&S continually change the goal posts so finding a paint supplier who can help may be a bit of a challenge. I bought all of my stuff pre covid.

I think 1K is not as restrictive, however like any paint especially on larger areas extraction and a decent mask is a must. Also other PPE like a suit and gloves as well.

#4 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,655 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 28 April 2024 - 05:46 PM

Having done my Mini in 1k clear two years ago.. then 1 year
later in 2k.. read up on the h&s, masks etc, it’s far superior.

1k clear crazes not matter what after a good 6 months of hard use.

Just do your own research on masks etc, the filters for my mask nearly cost £100

Edited by Midas Mk1, 28 April 2024 - 05:49 PM.

#5 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 29 April 2024 - 05:00 AM

Unless you have an air fed respirator and the very expensive airline filters to go with it then you should not be painting 2k. In order to have enough air for this you really need a three phase sized compressor too.

What is the coating that you currently have on there?

You don't actually want a hard coating for the underside. What you want is a soft 1k underbody coating like the original bitumen stuff, there are now modern equivalents that can be painted over. I don't think there is a white underbody coating but there are light coloured ones and then you can paint over it also with 1k.

I can't give many details about 1k paints as you guys mean nitrocellulose when you say 1k whereas here in Aus 1k is used in reference to Acrylic Lacquer, nitrocellulose is not used. Anyway If you are having issues after six months this will surely have to be due to incorrect application/preparation.

Edited by 68+86auto, 29 April 2024 - 05:02 AM.

#6 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 07:01 AM

Ironically considering I worked in a bodyshop at the time I painted the underside of my daily drive that I had stripped down the same as yours with synthetic coach enamel. I used it because it was cheap and has very good elastic qualities and is resistant to chipping. It got me to a stage I could put the car back together to get it to the bodyshop for the rest of it.

I applied it with a roller and brush in my driveway on a nice day and you would be surprised that aircraft parts are still painted this way down the road from me on occasion.

Anyway 20 years on I still have the car and the underside is still excellent and being OEW it would show if it wasn`t.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paint

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users