#1 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:53 AM

I need some help on this one, its a project for next year.

The plan is to make an aluminium trailer big enough to carry a mini and tow it with a mini.
The help i need is on the engine, i want to build an engine of very high torque and as cheap as posible.
I know i need a long stroke and a small carb to produce torque, but not sure what valves or head or block to use, large or small valve head. I am thinking it may be just a case of mixing standard mini engine parts together instead of buying modified parts, any help please.

#2 minimanclive

minimanclive

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:04 PM

You might want to look into the towing regulations first. I believe that you're only allowed to tow a certain weight based on the weight of the tow car. I think it's something like 85% of the weight of the tow car.

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:11 PM

This cannot be done.

As said, you WILL be outside the towing regulations.

#4 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:12 PM

You might want to look into the towing regulations first. I believe that you're only allowed to tow a certain weight based on the weight of the tow car. I think it's something like 85% of the weight of the tow car.

That wont be a problem its a very light mini and an aluminium trailer.

#5 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:16 PM

Aluminium's not a very strong metal either.

Re: your engine question....get hold of the David Vizard 'bible' and do some homework! That will tell you most of what you need to know...and more!

#6 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

Aluminium rectangular box section can be very strong but thats not realy the issue, its the engine i did have vizards book but gave it to somone on here, but if anyone has any charts from the book that might help or if anyone has built a high torque engine that would be even better help
Thanks ian

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:55 PM

Forced Induction? That should give you plenty of torque.

The only other way I know of increasing torque is to go for twin SUs, and not massive ones either, the smaller throat of the carb increases the air speed through the carb, also sucking more petrol through and thus increasing torque. Obviously there becomes a point where too small a throat won't allow enough air/fuel through.

#8 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:02 PM

1380 with a 998 cam and twin 1.25" Carbs.

go and look on the MLMotorsport forum and look at the spec of the engine AC Dodd has made for himself. Torque monster.

#9 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:10 PM

Thanks jammy I was thinking simple just a 1" 1/4 single su 70mph max but loads of torque for big hills and saving clutch life. its more what engine mix ie heads blocks.

1380 with a 998 cam and twin 1.25" Carbs.

go and look on the MLMotorsport forum and look at the spec of the engine AC Dodd has made for himself. Torque monster.

cheers will have a look but trying to keep it cheap 1275,1100,1000 standard parts

#10 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:37 PM

Standard MG metro engine will have lots of torque. Stick a HIF38 on it instead of HIF44. I've done this at one point and yes it does help lower rev pickup, might be suffocating a few bhp at the top end though. Standard MG manifold should be fine (no need to fork out for an LCB). If you want a little bit more oomph, you could skim the head a bit to raise compression to about 10.5:1. but make sure you use fuel with high enough octane (shouldn't really have too much of a problem with 10.5 compression though).
If you're keen on using standard parts that'll really be the extent of torque you'll reach. if you want more pulling power, consider using a 850 or van/pickup diff (3.76:1). It'll be revving its balls off at anything above 75mph, but it'll help with grunt quite a lot!

#11 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:48 PM

Cheers pavel, Big bore and stroke but what about valve sizes large or small ?
just trying to get round the theory of it all, its been 20yrs since i modded 'a' series engines

Edited by koss, 03 December 2006 - 01:53 PM.

#12 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:00 PM

could you go for very low gearing and get some torque this way ? :w00t:

#13 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:01 PM

Also look into using an Estate or van, more weight means you can tow more!!

#14 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:11 PM

put full role cage and get 13/7's more weight :w00t: also get rid of the weight saving rust!

#15 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:22 PM

i know this may sound criminal but what about using a metro for a tow car?? its heavier, but later ones have more space in the engine bay for extra curricular mods - supercharger, turbo!! especially late model a-series gta's(turbo slots straight in)!! i was thinking about this for myself as im going racing and cannot afford a seperate tow car!!

for lots of torque i was thinking a 1380 but std head, kent 256 cam and downsizing the carb to a single 1 1/2"!!

with 1380 bore and a long stroke crank you can make 1500cc and with the 256 cam it'll be fine at low revs, LOADS OF GRUNT!!

tow bar fits easier onto a metro by the way!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users