47 replies to this topic

#1 blister

blister

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:30 PM

hi i have a standard 998cc mini engine with stage one i was wondering is there any other cheap engine mods to increase power and not hav to take engine apart to fit performance parts

would these add bhp if so how much
aldon flame thrower (road)
splitfire race spark plugs
aldon performance distributor
aldon ignitor electronic ignition

#2 Ollie180

Ollie180

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Local Club: Sasmog.co.uk

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:55 PM

maby about 1-2 bhp? :w00t:

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:57 PM

electronic ignition a service and a good tune up are about the cheapest engine mods

#4 MinipixMatthew

MinipixMatthew

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:03 PM

Your best bet is a stage 1 kit, very easy to fit, doesn't require too much technical ability to fit, and come fairly cheap too. Included in a stage 1 kit is normally a nice exhaust (I'd recommend an RC40 for all-round reliability and performance), a replacement air filter (normally K&N I think), and possibly a couple of other bits and bobs. You can buy a 998 stage 1 kit from MiniSpares for not too much, or you can buy just the bits you want and see how you get on. You'll probably need to get a new needle too, but from what I understand they're not too difficult to fit (I think). That should give you an increase of at least 5-10 hp. And the best bit is that it doesn't require a degree in engineering to fit it all - even I could manage it, and I'm a computer scientist!

Oh and I forgot to say, if you going for a really really really low budget, making sure the engine is running efficiently is just as good as improving it. An oil change is always good for the engine, and making sure the timing is right is also a good start (there are instructions in the Haynes manual, fairly easy to follow). New spark plugs might help, but not much. Same with the HT leads I think, can be beneficial but you're unlikely to notice it when driving.

#5 blister

blister

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:06 PM

i have got a stage one kit with air filter and full maniflow exhaust system that i one off mini world what other mods can i do to make it as fast as possible budget of 1000

also what do u mean by tune up ? how do i do that

#6 MinipixMatthew

MinipixMatthew

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:08 PM

Heh, with £1000 I'd chuck the 998 and invest in a 1275 (or bigger)! £1000 is a lot to spend on "low budget" mods... don't think I've spent that much on my Mini!

#7 blister

blister

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:09 PM

i want to try and keep my engine in the mini lol and stay 998

#8 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:25 PM

to keep the engine in and get hp, theres not a whole lot of scope. A stage 3 head will be iro £400, maybe some high lift rockers, and then spend some on some reliability upgrades.. an electronic ignition kit (i don't see the point in spending the extra on a full dizzy in a 998) a service kit (plugs (ngk ones.. no point in anything more exotic), filter, oil). then maybe a new coil, and some new leads (just to make sure the old ones arent't breaking down) and you should have as much really as you can get out of it without taking it out.

Then with the change, get a brake service done.

#9 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

just fit a supercharger.

#10 miniman1969

miniman1969

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:38 PM

I managed to fit a 1275 head to a 998 for a decent performance hike, as long as cam and rockers are original then there is no problem with valve to block contact. The 998 IMHO is a far sweeter engine than the big bores(says the man who runs a 1380-lol

#11 blister

blister

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:50 PM

i am takin a engine course thing next year so i am going to build a engine for my mini from bits i wants to buy the stuff and build it myself i was wondering what is the largest mini engine (cc) to fit into a mini without changing/cutting bodywork

my list of stuff to get is 1460cc block
7 port cylinder head
2 weber carbs
and try and get a supercharger somewhere under the bonnet
is this set up possible

#12 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:36 AM

my list of stuff to get is 1460cc block
7 port cylinder head
2 weber carbs
and try and get a supercharger somewhere under the bonnet
is this set up possible

you do realise you will be rebuilding that engine every 2months.....sounds like your dreaming but if you pull it off... i will raise a hat to you. here's the problem:

7 port cylinder head is already over £1000. so get saving.

you're gonna have to uprate virtually everything on the car (including brakes and suspension) to handle the engine. and the engien itself will just tear itsefl apart unless you use the best quality, most heavy duty parts possible. ARP bolts etc, fancy main straps, you'll need a kick ass gearbox.

Go for it mate i'd love to see an engine like this, I think the vauxhall conversion would be cheaper and faster!... NONE of theose parts were on a mini as standard. Expect huge insurance hikes if you're a young'n

#13 urbantricker

urbantricker

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:21 PM

Supercharger sounds like the best route to me!

#14 Feeble

Feeble

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:26 PM

On a slightly differnt note, what the hell is that in your avatar, blister? :crazy:

#15 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:28 PM

Moved! :crazy:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users