#16 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:07 PM

hi i have a standard 998cc mini engine with stage one i was wondering is there any other cheap engine mods to increase power and not hav to take engine apart to fit performance parts

would these add bhp if so how much
aldon flame thrower (road)
splitfire race spark plugs
aldon performance distributor
aldon ignitor electronic ignition

don't even go there with race plugs....sweet jesus.....standard champion/ngk/unipart plugs are more than enough for a mildly tuned road car. regarding the other items, if you are thinking along thoselines, go for fully mappable ignition. as long as you have got a dizzy, you'll still get a bit of wander with the elec ignition. with mapped ignition, its bang on 24/7 and the engine will perform much better.

#17 blister

blister

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:28 PM

well i go to skl and thats a pic of what i done last summer lol
i have got a 1275 and my dad has offered to fit it for me but i am going to bore it out first what size bore is possible out of this block i think its a metro engine

#18 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:31 PM

1600cc......is possible i believe, but not advisable!
1330, 1380 are common overbore sizes..

#19 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:53 PM

998cc, £1000 to spend to make it go faster and you dont want to take the engine apart!!

sounds to me like you want NOS!! start with a basic 50bhp and a progressive controller you should have about £500 left for refills!!!!

#20 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:20 PM

If you go to school I assume your not 18 yet? In which case your going to be VERY limited in what you can do to the engine, even an engine transplant may screw you on insurance.

#21 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:40 PM

yes it will.

when i first looked at minis i was 17, and looked at a few that had 1275's in, that were originally 998's,

insurance was a joke so don't bother.

i have a 998 stage one that isnt even tuned yet, and i find it fun. sure i want some more power, cam head etc but i'm not gonna do it till i can afford the insurance.

my mini is fine for me and i like driving fast.

you really dont need a 1460 supercharged blah when you first start driving, you won't know what to do with the power.

sorry but theres loads of questions like this, just learn to drive first then start thinking about what you wann do with it.

#22 blister

blister

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:45 PM

i can drive perfectly i have always liked speed and i have lots of power in my over machines and stuff and i dont reli intend on telling the insurance comapanies that i have changed anything to the car

#23 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:51 PM

have you passed your driving test?

if you don't tell the insurance company you have a massive engine in yor car, and declare it to be a 998, then you dont have insurance.

#24 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:17 PM

i can drive perfectly i have always liked speed and i have lots of power in my over machines and stuff and i dont reli intend on telling the insurance comapanies that i have changed anything to the car

I think I understood most of that. You have 'other' machines with lots of power? What are they?

#25 metro1275

metro1275

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:27 PM

I think I understood most of that. You have 'other' machines with lots of power? What are they?

yeah if he has other powerful machines and has a grand to spend on tuning why not insure properly isn't it :crazy:

#26 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:39 PM

Well thats the last I contribute to this thread...

#27 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:50 PM

i dont reli intend on telling the insurance comapanies that i have changed anything to the car

This is very foolish, Would you seriously be willing to build this car, spend thousands of pounds on it (the engine would probably be worth 3 times as much as the car) and pay the monthly insurance... only to risk that in the event of an accident you'll find the insurance assesors will laugh at your face, realise it's far from standard and then to tell you're not getting ANY money from them? ANY modification that you do not tell your insurance company about (even if it has no effect on premium) COMPLETELEY INVALIDATES YOUR INSURANCE.

It's a total myth that insurance companies do not check cars over, they will do anything to get outta paying up... and if it's a legitimate reason i.e. modifications that invlalidate insurance.... then you have no hope in hell and not a leg to stand on. And you'd only have yourself to blame.

Terrible way to waste money buddy, unless you want to keep it just for track days in which case, I look forward to seeing the engine Dyno readout! :crazy:

Edited by Retro_10s, 07 December 2006 - 11:01 PM.

#28 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:34 PM

i totally agree with declaring all on your insurance however bad you think it may seem, well worth it if it all seems to go wrong!! if its not going to be a legit mod then i retract my comments about modifying!!

#29 maph2

maph2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Local Club: Poor Boys Warwick

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:01 AM

i totally agree with declaring all on your insurance however bad you think it may seem, well worth it if it all seems to go wrong!! if its not going to be a legit mod then i retract my comments about modifying!!

particularly if you are the cause of an accident and then your insurance doesn't cover the third party damages becuase youtr insurance is invalid.

#30 minimad998

minimad998

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Local Club: not part of a club

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

im 17 and have recently passed my driving test, I now that modifications on a car can bump your insurance up loads, but at the end of the day no matter how much it costs you, you should declare all mods or basically dont put them on!!! The cheapest quate i have had is 1044 and that is for a standard mini >:crazy: yes it is a killer but i would rather pay more than that and have my mods declared than be in an accident and have no legs to stand on!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users