#16 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:08 PM

tell them to read the tec data sheet for mot exhaust emmisons on the wall, that normally upsets them because evan an injection mini need to pass the same emmsions test as a clean lean burn engine

dave

#17 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:24 PM

Yea, mention the fact that they've got it wrong and the fact that VOSA would agree and they should try learning how to do their job properly.

I'd say £50-80 to carry out the other work, inc. parts!

#18 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:41 PM

One option that a mechanic I know said was to buy a knackered pre '92 mini and transfer the reg...Is this my only option? (other than getting an MOT from a..'less reputable' source?)

So not only are they failing your car on something they should not fail you on, but also encouraging you to illegally 'ring' your car with an older model and find a person who supplies hinkie MOT's

Not only would I be telling VOSA, but also the managing director or Kwikfit

#19 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:32 PM

I believe the mechanic that told him to do that was not the same person as the monkey from Kwikfit who MOT'd the car.

#20 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:37 PM

My MOT last month found that my mini was at about 10% :- But they leaned it off there and then down to about 2-3%... idle's lovely now :crazy:

I love my MOT station! <3

#21 TheFunkyGibbon

TheFunkyGibbon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: Non yet...

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:50 PM

I'll post how my 'discussion' goes with them tomorrow.

Thanks for the help all.

#22 mandyc

mandyc

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Local Club: Bucks mini club

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:55 PM

hi
a 94 should have a cat on it however as its running on a carb its not a closed loop sytem so the limit is 2.5%
adjust the mixer so its running leaner, that will sort the CO problem but may increase HC but the fast idle can be raised as part of the emissions test and the limit is 1200ppm.
good luck
tim

#23 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:08 PM

i love the way you lot talk about kwik fit. its hilarious. :crazy:

#24 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:12 PM

i love the way you lot talk about kwik fit. its hilarious. :crazy:

i prefer to call it slagging, bitching, telling the truth!

#25 ianbunyan

ianbunyan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:38 AM

KiwkFit tried to keep a girl I know from leaving with her car because she wanted to get another quote! She only went in for tyres and they wanted to replace the discs and pads. Well, when her boyfriend came along and stood their ground they let them go... lo-and-behold there was nothing wrong with the brakes! But they'd never have known that unless they'd escaped KwikFit to find a real garage!!

Edited by ianbunyan, 08 December 2006 - 12:38 AM.

#26 PurpleDaisy

PurpleDaisy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:46 AM

When I took Daisy to Kwik Fit once (I was swayed by the picture of The Italian Job run they had in reception, ok?!) they didn't even know how to put her in reverse, which immediately set off alarm bells in my head! I had foolishly walked to the shop & when I got back there was 3 of them in the car park trying to suss it oot! I must say I was filled with confidence aboot their experience! :crazy:

Anyhoodle good luck for tomorrow FunkyGibbon!

#27 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:57 AM

I hate crapfit, I think I would prolly have started laughing my arse off, shortly followed by "I'll be getting my refund NOW, thanx!" I wouldn't let a crapfit monkey near my Bini, let alone my real mini!

I have had previous history with those morons, I'll never take any car there, even if they were the last MOT place on earth. >:crazy:

As mentioned, the ENGINE should have been tested, not the year of the car. Go back there and get a refund, don't let them fob you off, or offer a free "service" etc, just plain cash!

SS

#28 minimanclive

minimanclive

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:30 AM

I wouldn't use Kwikfit. They're putting your carb engined Mini through the injection engine with a cat emissions test.

My brother has a '94 M reg Mini 35 which is a 1275 with a carb. The engine number isn't in the book for the injection test so it has the non cat test which is 3.5%CO at idle.

#29 mark clark

mark clark

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:42 AM

If I were you I'd take your car to Minisport if that's fairly near and let them test it. Kwikfit wouldn't be my 1st choice for an MOT or anything else for that matter! Once they've sorted it, you might have extra ammo to go back to Kwikfit and see what you can do regarding a refund.

Track rod ends are quite easy to do as long as you have a decent splitter. The locknut can be a bit of a brute to undo but once loose all you have to do is unscrew the old rod end, BUT noting 1st how many turns it takes to take the rod off. You can also mark the end of the track rod and steering rack thread BEFORE removing it, with Tipex or paint, so you know where to replace it.

Steering rack gaiters are cheap and easy to replace. Some are fitted with cable ties and some with metal jubilee-type clips.

#30 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:46 AM

And going back to the cost.....i would say more like £12 for parts! Hours work tops!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users