#1 Dolts

Dolts

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred and Exhausted

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:56 AM

as it looks like my front cones are gone, i was thinking of upgrading to coil spings and hi-lows, can anyone tell me what they are like?

#2 Special *K*

Special *K*

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 06:23 PM

I was wondering the same, this car is my daily transportation and i'm looking for a plusher ride, How hard is it to install a kit, sorry for being new and clueless, but what are hi lows?

#3 sqweaka

sqweaka

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:00 PM

I was wondering the same, this car is my daily transportation and i'm looking for a plusher ride, How hard is it to install a kit, sorry for being new and clueless, but what are hi lows?

replacment trumpets for your suspention allowing you to lower/raise the hight as you want to

#4 english-bully

english-bully

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Local Club: " CREWE'S MISSILES "

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:50 PM

I got the coil springs on me clubby !!!
There fantastic,they make the car sit and ride awesome the whole car feels totaly diffrent,"better"
fitting is very easy,just the same as you would fit the cones,i found when setting the ride hight ( hi/lo's ) it was a lot easyer,as you dont have to wait for the rubber cones to settle.
Theres s few diffrent springs on the market and they come in diffrent pressures,i went for the red colour ones they are ment for fast road conditions.but with them being sorings they still feel very comfortable even down the bumpiest of back lanes....
Theres a few that have driven my mini in our club ,and they comment on how well it handles and still keeps its comfort.

#5 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:10 AM

i have the blue ones as they popped up on ebay cheap and brand new from very basic squigyness tests involving me leaning on the rubber cones and the springs against the floor haha reveals the springs to be slightly firmer but not driven the car yet so dont know how they are going to ride...

#6 Special *K*

Special *K*

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:18 AM

I read the forum on changing the cones to highlows yesternight, is this essentially the same steps to putting the coils in? just putting the coils in place of the rubber cone? I was thinking of going with the blue coils, I dont want tooo soft though, so when i'm cruising on the autobahn i'm bouncing up and down... Question about the highlows, Why would you want to change your ride hight? is it just to make the car sit level? Thanks! looking forward to putting in my coils when I get back from Iraq, Hopefully I can find them on ebay for cheap!

#7 redwing2

redwing2

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:45 AM

as it looks like my front cones are gone, i was thinking of upgrading to coil spings and hi-lows, can anyone tell me what they are like?

I've fitted AVO coil overs all round. Conversion is simple, although you do need to watch out for clearance especially on the rear. The ride is excellent and with the AVOs you can adjust ride height and firmness. Not a cheap conversion though.

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:00 AM

Special *K*, yea, you've pretty much got it I think, I would hope you get instructions with the spring kit though, to make sure you get the spring platforms in the right way, etc.

Most people want to lower their cars, means you generally get better handling, and most, including me, think low minis generally look better.

#9 samwell

samwell

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Local Club: SC Spammers

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:09 PM

we got people talking bout different things here. Which is better, coilovers or springy cone replacements

#10 minipip

minipip

• Members
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:49 PM

Which is better, coilovers or springy cone replacements

coil overs are a larger job as they work like newer sus the get rid of the rubber cone, and the springy cone ones as you put it replace the cones for springs.

Edited by minipip, 17 June 2007 - 04:05 PM.

#11 Jimi30

Jimi30

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: Central Minis

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:08 PM

coil overs and cone rplacements are completely different. A coil over conversion cost in the region £400 and involve a spring which "coils over" a damper which is completely different to a standard damper, its an entirely more modern system. the spring cone replacements do what they say on the tin. Being springs they will be more long lasting and the springyness can be set more accuratly during manufacture than a rubber cone. This is my understanding anyway. coil over kit looks like this:

http://www.minisport...it-product.html

cone replacements look like this:

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=36782

Edit- previous post edit...this is now fairly pointless lol

Edited by Jimi30, 17 June 2007 - 04:10 PM.

#12 samwell

samwell

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:03 PM

hope you wernt explaining that to me. I know thers 2 dif types but its not always clear which one people ar etalking about. Has anyone who has driven both got preference? Ive heard coilovers make it lose the 'mini' feel a bit

#13 Special *K*

Special *K*

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

So Minitec has a nice web site www.superfastminis.com and they sell some coil over shocks, has anyone used these?
http://www.superfast...L-OVERSHOCK.htm If anything..I'm sold because they look pretty ! :w00t: I would love for my mini to ride smooth, and for me to not come outa the seat when i hit a bump on the autobahn! would body roll be pretty bad since its cushier?

#14 samwell

samwell

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:33 AM

im not sure if theyr for the a-series subframe. It looks like theyr for their FWD honda conversions...

#15 Special *K*

Special *K*

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:51 AM

im not sure if theyr for the a-series subframe. It looks like theyr for their FWD honda conversions...

That is correct, they are for the Honda VTEC engines, and the subframes that they sell on superfastminis.com i was just curious if anybody has used them, *i am putting a D series SOHC VTEC in my car in a few months* so just trying to gather some info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users