41 replies to this topic

#16 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

The SOHC Vtec doesn't weigh anymore than the A series, in fact it may even be lighter, hence, the standard suspension should be fine, or any aftermarket replacement built to the same specification.

#17 Special *K*

Special *K*

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:34 AM

...interesting on the weight...lets hope that it has more power at least :w00t: thank you for your reply's

#18 Smiley

Smiley

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Local Club: Amber

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

Hey...i just seen this thread on the coil spring coversion, i was just wondering if anybody out there has any expierence of the springs falling out or getting dislodged??

Im thinking of doing the conversion, but in my heads wee filing cabinet of mentalness i think i was told that this was a common problem so im a bit reluctant....

What you think??

#19 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

I know this was asked before, and there wasn't anyone at the time who had experience problems... i also remember reading that someone cable-tied them in place just to make sure, I think there was also a review of the minitastic coil springs in miniworld... but i forget which issue.

#20 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:49 PM

Ive heard coilovers make it lose the 'mini' feel a bit

Tosh!!!

Mine were properly set up and balanced.. and i can't believe how good it is... there is no body roll through bends at all and it absorbs bumps in the road without transfering them to my fillings. simply terrific!!!!

dohhhh!!! really old thread dig up!!!

#21 ludsonline

ludsonline

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:10 AM

Tosh!!!

Mine were properly set up and balanced.. and i can't believe how good it is... there is no body roll through bends at all and it absorbs bumps in the road without transfering them to my fillings. simply terrific!!!!

What set up are you running then Gav??

#22 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:48 PM

To add to the above comments/opinions

I fitted the minispares coil spring conversion today.

I can't see ANY way that the springs could become 'unseated' at all. I fitted the kit, set up the ride height, then jacked the car up as an MOT tester would ie full droop and no part ie the spring,hi low etc are loose.

Went for a drive and it still feels 'Mini', probably need to go one click firmer for the dampers for my liking but it is SOOOOO much better with soaking up the bumps and I didn't need to miss every manhole cover, grating, bump etc etc

Really happy with it overall

#23 ryan69

ryan69

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:00 PM

How are coil springs (soft or firm) on speed bumps and with 13x7s? Painful? :thumbsup:

#24 jgch

jgch

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:29 PM

Are the Red ones much firmer than the Blue? or are the Blue way too soft? also would there be any problem of the coils dislodging especially as Im using the car in Mexico where there are many potholes?

#25 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:33 AM

i have a set of blue ones for sale with hi low's and spax dampers they were just a bit too soft for me comfort is amazing but when you chuck into corners hard i thought there was too much body roll, way plusher than the origional rubber though!

#26 shouldknowbetter

shouldknowbetter

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:58 AM

Hi there, I have Minispares 'red' cone replacement type coil springs - they're very good, makes the car feel far less fidgety.There is slightly more body roll, but if you really wanted to nail that, you could fit an anti roll bar. It's not a daily driver( far from it!) but I've covered 1000 miles or so since fitted without any problems - other than initial setup.

Couple of pointers - don't lower it too much, as the overall suspension travel is increased the wheels will easily hit the arches, mine has 165/70 10's on 5J D1's, wasn't lowered that much and rubbing was a problem (on the back) on 'B' type roads. Also shock absorber quality/settings become more critical - I use Spax adjustables, but if you're buying new I would recommend a set with numbered settings, this would make it far easier to set up. If you do have Spax, it was three clicks back (from the max setting) on the front and four on the back - may be useful as a guideline.

Hope this helps Cheers Lee.

#27 Mini-Maid

Mini-Maid

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

I'm interested in these spring replacements also. I've read various areticles about these coils moving but surely under pressure they can't, can they? I have also just fitted a 1275 auto unit in my 30 and it does seem to have sagged a bit do you think the coils will cope better with the extra weight of the auto box. Any one know about insurance issues with these?

#28 welshy

welshy

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:35 PM

Does anyone know what spring rating is used on the Vtec ZCar Mini?

Cheers
Welshy

#29 sdanys

sdanys

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Local Club: minis'addict

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:42 AM

Bonjour,

Have you opted for soft, or fast road coil springs ?
Are they minitastic ?

Best regards,
Dany

Tosh!!!

#30 o0westham0o

o0westham0o

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:26 PM

Can any one tell me what the differance between dampers with hi los and coil overs is.
do they do the same job? or is one better or more reliable than the other?

cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users