654 replies to this topic

#316 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:56 AM

As far as I understand, Z Cars have just installed the space frame and engine, so Ali has yet to install the interior, loom etc, which Chris can't do because all that stuff is with Ali.

Real shame you can't go in the Minus again Ali, but its not like you'll be lagging behind in your Metro! :-

#317 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:10 AM

I have been sent a pic or two. They wanted to make sure that my bulkhead fitted, a: because it is in a minus and b: because it is a little different.
Posted Image

Also it is on all fours now. They are not aligned yet, I hope it gets done tomorrow because then I can get it back, thursday/friday.
Posted Image

Al, Anychance you coul e-mail me those pics of the bulkhead as im using a Z-cars lower and making my own upper peice like yours with a window in it.

[email protected]

Cheers

#318 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:53 PM

I hope to answer everyone's questions all at once:

Zcars will deliver but it's £500 all the way down to me -and everone is racing because it's bank holiday weekend, so It still wouldn't arrive till tuesday afternoon.

There is still a lot to do on this car. Getting it on it's wheels is just the begining.

... and as far as getting zcars to finish the car so I can drive it down - well that would cost about 5 grand!

SO What's happening? Well Most transporters just cant' be arsed with a 10hour roung trip, but I have found a firm who are delivering it pretty cheap, but not until Thursday the 7th. The day after we get back from the ring.

Mark - I Haven't got that picture any bigger. I'll take some decent ones after the ring run and send them to you.

#319 bigandy

bigandy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:10 PM

bit of a hijack but do you know what material the window is made from? and how heat resistant it is etc? I presume its road legal? i dont fancy having a solid metal vertical bulkhead but always thought persepx windows etc weren't mot worthy as a bulkhead material

#320 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:28 PM

bit of a hijack but do you know what material the window is made from? and how heat resistant it is etc? I presume its road legal? i dont fancy having a solid metal vertical bulkhead but always thought persepx windows etc weren't mot worthy as a bulkhead material

It wil probably be 4mm polycarbonate material as used in the proper window kits, not the stuff you can buy at B&Q, As for heat resistancy, it should be ok as it is high up compared to where the manifold is.

Cheers

Edited by markrally73, 29 August 2006 - 10:28 PM.

#321 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:04 AM

well she's at home at last.
Posted Image
I've been busy sorting the birds nest of wiring out and removing anything unneccesary
slave cylinder is already plumbed in and working now.
Posted Image

Edited by Alburglar, 08 September 2006 - 12:06 AM.

#322 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:12 AM

w00t, see you at Combe!

#323 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

dunno about coombe because I may be too skint to buy all the bits to finish it this month. We'll see. Anyway:

#324 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:23 PM

This picture is pants because I took it with my mobile, but this was a wiring nightmare. I think I have removed about 40 metres of un-required / burnt out sh1tty 1969 wiring. I have an alarm/immob in the loom and somm wires run out to engine bay, change colour and then double back to under dash etc, in order to make it difficult to bypass. so tracing wires has been hard. I think I'm winning tho.
Posted Image

I have also been tidying up the shell, as where z's have not waisted any time doing that, as time costs money, they just cut out what was needed pretty roughly and got on with other stuff.
I've got more time now I'm not rushing to a deadline so I'm engoying doing things nicely.
Posted Image

#325 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

Minus shells has a lot of integral steel in them, like a roll hoop in the roof and large plates where the subframe mounts to the body and where the seatbelt bolts go, etc. Some of this has now been exposed where the rear bench has been removed so it's all needed painting. This is where an upright section in the rear quarter meets the bottom seatbelt bolt, wich in turn is welded to a section in the sill.
Posted Image

My rear quarter windows were leaking terribly when I bought the car and had been for years by the look of these metal plates in the rear floor pans. I spent hours grinding the crud away with a little attachment on my dremel, so as not to damage the powder coat on the roll cage floor mount. It came up ok...
Posted Image

So I then used Hammerite Kurust, which turns rusty surfaces into treated primered steel, then painted with normal hammerite.
Posted Image

not very exciting I know, but all very necessary. I've also had to find a jack that will fit under the car. This has not been easy as I only have 4inch clearance. Most available that fit the bill cost from £300 to £1500!
but i found one on ebay the will clear the 4 inch sill height and reach 42cm under the car. I love ebay...if the jack ever turns up!

also spent a long time brain storming about my bulk head, which does not fit for two reasons. Firstly because it's built for a normal mini shell and secondly because the bulkhead kit is designed for a frame with the harness hoops mounted on a bar at the rear. my bar is mounted right where the normal kit is. I think I've got a plan sorted now tho.

Edited by Alburglar, 12 September 2006 - 10:31 PM.

#326 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:30 PM

took another pic of it with a decent camera too!
Posted Image

#327 ckneller321

ckneller321

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:16 PM

mmm looks sexy, cant wait to see it in the flesh/fibreglass with integral steel

#328 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:12 PM

I have got a brand new carbon can for the R1 if you are interested?? Is it carbs or injection? Looks like carbs...

#329 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:27 PM

I have mounter a bar across the main hoop about an inch above the lower fireguard part of the bulkhead and i just need 4 slots cutting in the upper section to put the belts through.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Just an idea for you??

Cheers

Edited by markrally73, 13 September 2006 - 09:36 PM.

#330 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:19 AM

That's exactly where I've put my harness bar mark, but with some hoops welded onto it. Iintend on using some climbing caribenas or similar to attach my harness to each hoop.

I'm on carbs and I'm too skint to buy any other bits at the mo, and I have the can that zeds supplied with my original kit so that'll do me for the time being.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users