#556 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

Ok great. It should be a positive switch then, going by that. I'm pretty sure I've cocked that up and that explains it!

#557 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

After the "five minute" job of replacing the indicator and headlight that were damaged, and quickly realising that one of the bowls was upside down? I fixed that, then finally sat down to look at my wiring. My brakelight is sorted, I think, but the side lights still flash with the hazards, but not with the indicators, so I've ordered a new hazard switch and hopefully it's that.

Next I wired the negative switch wire from the neutral switch and the positive to my reverse foot switch through a normal relay like this:
-trigger is netral light/switch
+input are both from fuse box
+output goes to reverse foot switch
Posted Image
It works and the floor mounted reverse button only works when the car is in neutral so I'm happy with that.

#558 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:58 PM

wiring nightmare's are over! All my random issues were down to earth issues. I should have guessed, it being a mini and a fibreglass one at that! Once i'd connected a big fat earth to the rear light studs and looped it to the engine and back to the battery it all came good. I was trusting a much smaller earth that i'd run from the front bulk head. Which was neat but not very effective.

#559 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:01 PM

brake light switch is positive too.

#560 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:51 AM

Good to hear its all working out, the electrics is what took me the longest time to suss out, satisfying when you do though.

#561 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:59 PM

Yeah, definately. Wiring was very time consuming, but feels great now it's done.
Finding decent multipin plugs is a pain though. I thought I'd got some good ones from cbs, but the pins slip out. I've poly sealed the wires into the plug to try and rescue it.
Posted Image

Edited by Alburglar, 05 May 2011 - 05:05 PM.

#562 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

Did the final fit of my inner arches. Put a strip of foam in between the arch and the lip to help with water and dust ingress.
Posted Image
Then fitted the arches
Posted Image
Handily the backs of the bolts were convenient for adding p-clips for the rear loom.

#563 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:11 AM

Yeah, definately. Wiring was very time consuming, but feels great now it's done.
Finding decent multipin plugs is a pain though. I thought I'd got some good ones from cbs, but the pins slip out. I've poly sealed the wires into the plug to try and rescue it.
Posted Image

Those plugs are a PITA to use, really fiddly and no room for error, especially when you accidently put the wrong wire in the wrong hole.....but they are one fo the only waterproof plugs on the market at a reasonable price. You could go all military spec but then you're paying a lot of money.

The arches look good and will help with all kinds of debris, I guess rust wont be too much of an issue for you though.........

#564 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:52 PM

Yep those plugs are a pain. First lot worked great, the second batch are crud!
I've wrapped my loom now everything is working.
Dash is in for the final time I think.
Posted Image
Offset brushed alumium styling...
...or I ballsed up and put my switches where they don't clear the dash bar.
Posted Image
Drivers View
Posted Image
Shift light and gear indicator are fixed on with sticky velcro tabs. Works well I think.

#565 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:56 PM

The brake pedal still has a soggy feel to it, but I've had no more air out of them and the pistons seam to respond well at each corner. I think the mini master cylinder is not up to the job of working the extra calipers. I reckon it'll be fine for the MOT tho, but will need a proper fix at some point.

#566 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

Did i hear a mention of MOT??? Does that mean it might be on the road in a couple of years hahaha.

Its coming along well mate.

#567 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:45 AM

Yep. I haven't got a 100% keen MOT man for the job yet, but I have got a bloke who's interested to see the car before he decides to MOT or not. He's a friend of a friend so he should be sweet.
I think I still have a slight oil leak from the oil sandwich plate. If I have I will have to whip it off again and remove another thread off the extension bolt, unless I can nip it up a little bit. Then I can do the final fit of the bulkhead, fit the seats, fix my wobbly head light and then it's MOT time.

err edit - ...and then it's MOT time...after I've finished fitting the scottoiler and refit the rear windows.

-then I'll fit an air scoop for the engine and make a zcars style bonnet channel to get the rad air out and help keep the front end down.

Edited by Alburglar, 10 May 2011 - 07:53 AM.

#568 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

As usual one step forward and two steps back.
AP racing do a brake master cylinder that fits a mini stud pattern in various bore sizes up to 1" wich is perfect and it's only £101, however it's 4 to 5 weeks for delivery!
Here is a useful link:
http://www.apracing.... Type_2386_2385

I think I'm gonna try a standard non servo dual line system first (yellow tag GMC227). It's a safer upgrade anyway and a bit cheaper. They are 0.7" and 0.75", so I figure it should work as good as my 0.75" did with with just the 4 pots at the front. The second 0.7 line can work the rears.

Got the boot on before L2B

Edited by Alburglar, 24 January 2014 - 09:34 PM.

#569 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

FAIL! - The dual line master cylinder doesn't fit under the minus bonnet.
Posted Image
Success on the throttle return front. I spent a while experimenting with different fitting locations and springs and ended up with this.
Posted Image
The bolt on the bracket is necessary so the spring clears the choke slider.

#570 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

Most on lookers thought I was crazy picking up an old gas meter cover that was left at the side of the road...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Alburglar, 19 May 2011 - 09:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users