654 replies to this topic

#571 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

Most on lookers thought I was crazy picking up an old gas meter cover that was left at the side of the road...
Posted Image
Posted Image

you can use a converted metro dual line like i am on my minus and it fits under the bonnet with no modifications to the bonnet :lol:
Regards Blue

#572 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:24 PM

You Sir/Madam, are a diamond!

-I'm assuming it's an Austin metro type rather than later rover 114, GTI etc?

-I've just ordererd a master cylinder for A series metro. Unipart number GMC 179 Manufuctured by Girling. Tab Id. 6624 05 67/33 08CT. £37 New old stock. bargain.

Edited by Alburglar, 20 May 2011 - 08:43 PM.

#573 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:45 AM

With ignition on and engine off My tacho flashes from 0 to 13,600rpm and I thought it was interference, but it turns out it's most likely a fault code. I've searched the net but can't find them all. i think because on a bike with the OE Clocks, the codes read as numbers, but with an aftermarket tacho the code reads as intermitant flashes of rpm:
4xv Fault Codes for the 99-01 models

3,000 revs = Throttle Position Sensor

4,000 revs = Speed Sensor

7,000 revs = EXUP

8,000 revs = Fuel Sensor/Sender

9,000 revs = Tip over sensor

...or is mine showing that there's no faults, because it is not stopping at one of the designated rpms????

Edited by Alburglar, 23 May 2011 - 10:03 PM.

#574 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

Finshed the shape of my bonnets air scoop with other bits of the gas meter cover stuck on with poly sealant and then used expanding foam to fill the gaps.
Posted Image

Then some fibreglass. The mould should break down and pull out once I've cut the excess off.
Posted Image

The front end is finish now too. I realised that the fuel tank breather will be exposed to the elements with the new bonnet scoop , so I ran some pipe to the old engine steady bracket. I've also added two fresh air scoops to whats left of the inner wings, so I should be able to get some fresh air into the car.
Posted Image

#575 alowry

alowry

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:04 PM

Fascinating project. What's the thinking behind the air scoop in the bonnet?

#576 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

Well once I've cut the hole in the bonnet out, In theory, it should help with front end traction. It will channel the air that goes through the rad and push on the bonnet and valance and over the windscreen, rather than let it be forced out down towards the floor. And so, again in theory, the faster you go the more that process takes affect. It will help the radiators efficiency too.

Edited by Alburglar, 23 May 2011 - 09:10 PM.

#577 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:07 PM

Well. I decided to go through all the possible known issues that give out a fault code and seeing as I've ditched the exup I figured that I'd start with that. I'd read that if you put a resistor between 7.5k - 10k between the black/red wire and white/red wire that come out of the ECU then that bodges it, so I tried it and it works!
Posted Image
I used a 10k resistor inbetween some connectors and fitted it between the bullet connector and on one of the terminal of the 4pin plug that connect to the exup servo motor.
Posted Image
I will eventually cut the plug off and hard wire the resistor in, but it's fine for now.
It works well enough to let you turn the ignition on, let the fuel pump get to pressure and start the car, with no fault code being present. This is ideal and important because otherwise the mapping is slightly retarded by the ecu because it thinks there is a problem with the exup servo motor.
The only thing is if you leave the ignition on for more than 10 seconds, with the engine off, then the fault code returns, but it goes way if you turn the ignition off and on again, so no big deal.
It's better than leaving the servo connected and permanently spinning away.

Edited by Alburglar, 24 May 2011 - 10:13 PM.

#578 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

Apart from some filler and a final sand, my bonnet vent is finished. Which is good because I'm fed up of dust! I've taken the ridge out of it too and filled up what was left of the hole where the SU used to poke through under the bonnet bulge.
Posted Image

Edited by Alburglar, 27 May 2011 - 04:52 PM.

#579 blue blood

blue blood

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

Apart from some filler and a final sand, my bonnet vent is finished. Which is good because I'm fed up of dust! I've taken the ridge out of it too and filled up what was left of the hole where the SU used to poke through under the bonnet bulge.
Posted Image

looks good >_< what resin did you use for your bonnet?
Regards Blue

#580 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

Just normal polyester resin and chopped strand matt.
http://www.fiberglas...resin_kits.html

Theses kits are great deal and nothing like the poor quality kits you get from Halfords: 2.5kg Resin Kit includes: 2.5kg 2-8500PA, 50ml M50 Catalyst, 10ml syringe, 2.5 meter roll 450g matting,1 paddle roller, 2 brushes, 2 mixing cups, 2 mixing sticks and 2pr Latex gloves. - £30 delivered
That'll do you for most jobs and you can top up with more gloves and brushes etc as required. Use 5ml catalyst to 250grammes (225ml) of resin.

#581 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hows the min coming along mate?

#582 josh_t_867

josh_t_867

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

will the air filter not becone cloged up with it eating tarmac? i notice there is a hole in the bonet is this because when gravity lets go any oil leaks will miss the car waithing for your reply

#583 izzy

izzy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

wow nice build keep up the good work

#584 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:04 AM

On a go slow again I'm afraid. I'm in the middle of moving workshops and it is a bloody nightmare!

...and Josh "if gravity lets go" we will all explode so where the oil will go will be the least of my worries....especially seeing as the engine is in the back... it's spelt waiting not waithing...and yes tarmac clogging the air filter was a big concern of mine so I bought a tarmac eating dwarf space chimp that is housed within the roll cage - hence the title! -Try to pay attention in future

Edited by Alburglar, 12 August 2011 - 11:05 AM.

#585 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:01 PM

Workshop walls and floor painted,
Racking built,
Tons of sh1te moved using a pu205 gti - nightmare!
Tons of ******* set up and found homes for - nearly there!
As you can see from my other workshop pics on this page, I now have a little bit more space around the car!
Posted Image
On with the build.

Edited by Alburglar, 07 September 2011 - 10:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users