#1 decampos

decampos

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Local Club: National Mini Owners Club

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:07 AM

Hi Everyone. Sorry for the dumb question. Does anyone know what size socket I need to buy to remove the steering wheel nut from a 1993 Mini sprite. I'm a bit of a metric head and I'm struggling in the world of imperial.

measuring it's about just under 30mm or so. In searching the archives of this forum it's either 1.5/16 or 15/16 whatever those numbers mean.

Any help very much appreciated.

Cheers
Ben

Attached File  wheel.jpg   20.75K   2 downloads

#2 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:10 AM

1 5/16" thats one inch and five sixteenths of an inch!! i think it works out at about 33mm!!

#3 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:41 AM

well the one on mine is much smaller but u cant remeber what. i used a pair of mole grips

#4 mark clark

mark clark

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:01 PM

1 5/16" is the one you want!

#5 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:04 PM

Halfords do one that fits in their impact (black) socket range. If you are reasonably friendly with them they will let you take a couple out to the car to check it fits :gimme:

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:26 PM

Sorry to bring this back up, but Decampos, is your mini an automatic? It looks EXACTLY like Binge's old mini!

#7 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:28 PM

It wasn't 1 5/16 om my mini.

#8 Bass Man

Bass Man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Local Club: London & Surrey MOC

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:57 PM

Halfords do one that fits in their impact (black) socket range. If you are reasonably friendly with them they will let you take a couple out to the car to check it fits :w00t:

I did exactly that last weekend, got the metric black thing.

NOW, how do you get the flaming thing off after it is undone, I tried a cloth covered clun hammer but it won't move..... :crazy:

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:22 PM

OE steering wheels can be removed with a puller as they have dimples in the back for the legs to engage in. Leave the nut on but loose so there is a couple of mm gap between it and the wheel (having removed the lockwasher first) and pull or use a puller, hit the rear with a hammer, jiggle it or do what ever you can. You are leaving the nut on so you don't break your own nose when the taper releases (many people have done that) but don't leave it on by just one thread or the impact with the nut could damage the threads and re-fitting will be hard. This is a hard little taper to seperate but eventually they all come undone. Try going out to your Mini in the morning after a really cold night, heat the wheel hub (avoiding the shaft if possible) with a hairdryer for a few minutes and then give it a pull. Don't use a blowtorch or paint stripper or anything silly like that!

Oh, and don't use metric tools on imperial fixings (pet hate #4).

Edited by Dan, 21 December 2006 - 02:22 PM.

#10 Bass Man

Bass Man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Local Club: London & Surrey MOC

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:58 PM

Leave the nut on but loose so there is a couple of mm gap between it and the wheel

That sounds like a good bit of advice!!

#11 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:41 PM

I got a large socket (1/2 " drive) from Halfords. the socket size is 1 1/2", and is the same size as for the ball jounts etc.

#12 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:47 PM

Also, when you remove the nut, dont forget to put a new shakeproof washer under the nut. If you need to reove the boss, the ideal tool is a puller, but when I removed the boss on my steering column i tapped it lightly with a matllet and it came off. If you find need to tap it a little hard, then I would frecommend the puller however.

Also good idea, when you replace the boss, cleasn the splines thoroughly and add a little grease. There may be other opinions about this, but nas long as the shakeproof washer is ther you should be fine.

Anyway, 1 1/2 socket may be a little big for the nut (you mentioned 1 5/16"), but it is enough to do the job if you have this socket anyway for the ball joints.

#13 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:07 PM

I think the nut is bigger on your Mk1 anyhow, the whole column was changed at Mk2 and it's been the same ever since. 1 1/2 might be right for your car. Most people should have a 1 5/16" anyway as it's the same as the large CV joint nut, the Mk4 subframe tower bolt and the crank pulley bolt and cam gear nut. Very handy. Good idea to grease the spline, preferably with graphited grease. You should avoid greasing the taper though.

Edited by Dan, 21 December 2006 - 05:11 PM.

#14 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:48 PM

Dan the nut on my mini was definitely not 1 5/16" it was more like and inch but i really can't remmeber.

Anyone else got a 93 mayfair that they can check the size of their steering wheel nut because i think i am losing my mind

#15 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:51 PM

Just Whack An Adjustable Spanner On There, That'll Do It.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users