25 replies to this topic

#16 cookster

cookster

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:04 PM

yea it is strange ever since i had the mini i have had problems but that could be due to the fact that it is on a sorn and i cant take it off my drive. So all that happens is it gets started up cant take it for a good thrash need it sorted asap tho due to my test soon.

#17 cookster

cookster

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:17 PM

I just got told that it could be the tappets that is making the engine so tight could that have anything to do with it. and also a tow round the block might free it up a bit.

#18 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:40 PM

leave the tappets alone for now!! remove both the engine earth and the battery earth, however good you think they are, clean all the mounting points back to bear metal and then bolt everything back together and try again!! maybe even move the engine earth from under the steady bar so it goes from the engine to the inner wing!!

honestly i've seen it so many times before. it all looks ok, folks say its fine, i remove earths scrub areas with sand paper to find bare metal and hey presto car starts. dont forget to seal them afterwards with vaseline.

#19 cookster

cookster

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:59 PM

Ok ill get on that then see what happens plus this poxy weather dont help really it was fine in the summer. what do you think could be making the engine so tight tho minis ah gotta love umm

#20 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:15 PM

moisture in the air with the winter conditions will cause corrosion everywhere, its more straining in the winter to start a car because the battery will be cold and so will everything else but a poor quality earth will really show up more in winter because everything electrical is needed so much.

bit of a mumble all that but i hope it makes sense!! if it was fine in the summer and you havent done anything and the fluids are all ok thne it must be electrical.

#21 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:45 AM

I agree, every time I coem across someone with the starter turning slow, it is often associated to the charging systm being affected by poor engine earthing.
The best place you can possibly have engine earthing is from under a clutch cover bolt, and innerw right wing. There should be a hole there toward the front which should allow an 8mm bolt to pass through, and also an earthing strap.

I really recommend, if you dont have earthing in this location, you put one in. Its an hours job at the very most! Just clean around the hole on the inner right wing to bear metal, and assemble with the earth strap and vaseline (minimises corrosion).

Even if this didnt sort your problem, your earthing will be much better anyway> I would guess that this will sort the problem though!

#22 sa_mini

sa_mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 22 December 2006 - 07:56 AM

it could be electrical,,,,do the spark plugs spark? try service the distributor and replace the coil.
Hope you get it right.

#23 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:58 PM

I just got told that it could be the tappets that is making the engine so tight could that have anything to do with it. and also a tow round the block might free it up a bit.

Dont get hung up on this, i thought the same that my engine was seized becasue i couldnt turn her over using a screwdriver on the flywheel or even by the fan very easily. But its not a problem

#24 cookster

cookster

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:13 PM

Alrite wicked cheers for your help guys ill let ya no what happens probably wont be till afer christmas now but hopefully ill get the red hot sorted have a good xmas appreciated.

#25 cookster

cookster

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:50 PM

Alrite lads hope you all had a good christmas ive tired the earthing and everything seems to be in order.
i guess the last thing to do is to bump start it.

#26 cookster

cookster

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:28 PM

Hi guys i have checked the earth and they are fine i tried to jump it today and that did not work either. Im running out of ideas and i passed my test today so would really love to get the mini on the road any help would be much appreciated thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users