#1 Ollie

Ollie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Local Club: TurboMinis

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:58 PM

Hey people, as title says im looking to fit my playstation into my mini.

i know i will need a power inverter so it can get power dunno if any one can give me an explanation on how to do this :crazy:

the main problem is the screen, im wanting to put a PC TFT monitor and play it through that. i have a few questions bout that:

- what size can fit under the dash rail (to the left of the heater) im thinking of having a custom slide shelf that pulls out and folds up.

- also i will need either an XGA or VGA converter so the playstation can play through the monitor. has anyone done this? and how easy is it, is it worth it??

thanks for any reaply ;)

Ollie

#2 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

Hey people, as title says im looking to fit my playstation into my mini.

i know i will need a power inverter so it can get power dunno if any one can give me an explanation on how to do this :crazy:

the main problem is the screen, im wanting to put a PC TFT monitor and play it through that. i have a few questions bout that:

- what size can fit under the dash rail (to the left of the heater) im thinking of having a custom slide shelf that pulls out and folds up.

- also i will need either an XGA or VGA converter so the playstation can play through the monitor. has anyone done this? and how easy is it, is it worth it??

thanks for any reaply ;)

Ollie

most power inverters plug into lighter sockets, search on here for how to install one, you don't acctually need the lighter socket just install the inverter the same way... unless you want a lighter socket for phone charger etc...

what kind of TFT will you be using? you can get ones that fit in a standard DIN car radio slot and fold up, if so you just need to fit a standard DIN cage to the dashrail... or to a couple of sliding rails which attach to the dash rail, i don't thing size is really a problem unless it gets in the the way of the passengers feet.

converters i don't know about, but search in ICE and Security for playstation, im pretty sure you'll find everything you need to know on there.

Edit: http://www.theminifo...;hl=playstation this may help.

Edited by Don't Panic, 23 December 2006 - 04:35 PM.

#3 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:32 PM

think it is quite hard to run a playstation into a pc tft.

resolution aint right and the conector issue of course although i am sure there is a converter somewhere

#4 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

something like this: http://uk.media.gear...mg_1548487.html

http://www.jandaman....ategory_Code=PC

http://www.jandaman....ategory_Code=PC

Edited by miniboo, 23 December 2006 - 04:40 PM.

#5 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:42 PM

I think this is the one though as it is in stock:

http://www.consolesa...tin-p-1010.html

could be worth it if you have a spare 15 inch tft to squeeze into your car.

upgraded alternator and battery will be a good idea aswell.

#6 edjohnson

edjohnson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:59 PM

dont bother with a scan converter to get the conponent out from the playstation to VGA converted

the res will look pants, and all definition will be lost

your better off getting a multimedia tft or lcd screen, with a dedicated AV input.

you will be glad you did

also the inverter can be hard wired if you like

CPC.co.uk have the 600w version that was 70quid down to 25quid this week on offer

should be good for a few other things too then....

ed

#7 miniboo

miniboo

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:02 PM

ep thats what i thought i had heard about the vga thing aswell

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:50 PM

most power inverters plug into lighter sockets

Err, no they don't. Only the very lowest powered inverters plug into lighter sockets. Most of them need to be hard wired. Most cars lighter sockets are designed to run about 15 amps at the very maximum and older cars are probably limited to 5 or 10, which gives you 180 watts maximum (on a 15 amp circuit). Almost any inverter capable of providing more than about 200 watts will normally be designed for hard wiring direct to the battery. I have seen some cheaper 300 watt units with lighter plugs but I seriously doubt that the wiring in most cars is designed to provide 25 amps at the cigarette lighter and I certainly wouldn't run that much power through one. I think the socket itself is only rated at 16. Don't just think you can put a bigger fuse in for it either as the fuse is there to protect the wiring and if you overload the wiring you will start a fire in your car.

I realise that you may already know this and that most people won't care but it should be pointed out for anyone who doesn't know that it is illegal for the driver to be able to see any screen while driving the car that provides any information not directly related to actually driving the vehicle.

#9 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:57 PM

Ollie

Dude! got the perfect soluition.

http://www.cpcff.co....pic.php?t=11839

wrote that....yesterday now. Should be good. Little 5 inch screen and the ps2 has the port for it on the back. The composite. Cost about...ooow.....£20-£30 to do.

#10 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:23 PM

Oh dear

Well i supose some one has to.

Question is, why?

I'll never understand the answer, but each to their own, eh.

#11 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:51 PM

If you look on e-bay you should come across a cable that willpower your playstation directly from the cigarette lighter without the need for an inverter.

(Nice that I found that out after buying g an inverter)

And the way I’ve got round the screen problem is to pop off down to argos and buy the 7” portable screen that bolts to the back of the playstaion (slim line models only) that way when I’m not using it I can hide it in the boot or leave it at home.

Edited by 1984mini25, 23 December 2006 - 07:55 PM.

#12 megla_mini

megla_mini

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:46 AM

Hi Ollie.

Fitting a playstation is not as easy as plug and play. Its not masively complicated but i would avoid using a VGA display, as previosly mentioned it looks pants. I would use a tft screen or flip out screen, much easier to fit, much easier to use and looks so much better. This is where i get all my stuff from

www.caraudiodirect.com

Which playstation are you gonna use. If its the Slim line PS two then there a car power adapters already out there, i bought one the other day for around a tenna i then hard wired this is like you would with a cigerete lighter.

http://www.netpcdire...aptor_pstwo.php

The first gen PS2 will be alot more hassel to fit. This is due to it using a sepearte PMU (power management unit) where as the PMU is now located in the PS two. If you are gonna use the first gen playstation 2 you will need to use a converter (expensive option), as to run something such as a vga screen and playstation you will need to buy one which has a high output, you will also have to upgrade you alternator dependant upon the age of your mini.

Will you want to use the playstation whilst driving, i.e passengers. This is possible. Its all about the magic of wiring. You must know though this is illegal so dont go running any read lights with it on. :crazy:

Dependant upon what you go for in terms of screeen will depend how this is wired in. With a standard flip up DIN sized unit there will be a cable which needs to be connected to the hand brake, this is so the screen will switch on when the hand brake is on, to fool this just connect this cable to the earth of the head unit (black cable) this will make the unit think its permanantly in park and will allow you to use it when ever you want. With normal screens they will have a similiar option.

hope this helps. I fitted one the other day to a celica for a mate and it works a treat. sorry to have written an essay and i kow my spelling is s**t.

;)

#13 MRclubman1100cc

MRclubman1100cc

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:57 PM

Y would u want to put a playstation in your car, ya carn't do to thing as once, waste of time in my mind. i would rather have a coffee maker pluged in to the inverter or a fridge :crazy:

#14 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:12 PM

Y would u want to put a playstation in your car, ya carn't do to thing as once, waste of time in my mind. i would rather have a coffee maker pluged in to the inverter or a fridge :crazy:

Like many things often the point of doing something is just to prove that you can......Or to show off to other like minded people who will be impressed. I'd probably be impressed if someone did that with a ps1 screen. It would be an electronic education to do this. So really....why wouldn't you want to?

Also a fridge would be awesome. And the vauxhall signum has one of those in that back.

Edited by summergnu, 24 December 2006 - 01:14 PM.

#15 MRclubman1100cc

MRclubman1100cc

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:35 PM

yer i spose it will attract attention, but everyone has there own opinion... yer i got the fridge idea because my dad has one in heres car

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users