#166 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:37 PM

It looks well Ady, I havnt seen it outside properly yet, It looks as if the rear track needs a little toeing out as they come set toe ing in really, also may need to lengthen both rear rose joints as it looks a bit forward in the arch from that angle.

Glad all your major mods have passed the sva.

Will see it soon in the flesh.

Cheers

#167 supastu

supastu

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Local Club: not in one yet

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:16 PM

oh no, o well at least it passed the important bits theres always next time

#168 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

Well done Ady. I know it's failed but as you say, their only minor probs so should be easy to sort. What's the problem with the front subby washers? Is it something that will cause problems for others.

More importantly though, how good was it to finally drive it :) .

#169 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

hey pete!
hows it going?

their isnt any washers on the triangle arms that bolt to the shockers , he said the bolt could pull through the rubber on the large bearing, also needs some spring washers on the calipers.

The drive down was amazing, i couldnt beleive it, was like a giant go kart, was well worth the day out in it,
the reaction from people was funny ,i passed a mini going the opposite way , i think he looked twice when he heard it!

definately need the suspension setup though

Edited by adyzr1, 03 May 2007 - 09:13 PM.

#170 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:16 PM

cat exhaust (off a caterham replica) as you can see its designed to go down the side of a car!

Attached Files

#171 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:11 PM

Its looking good mate! Shame it failed but atleast you know there is nothing major wrong with it!

Will have to come over and have another look if i pass my test :)

#172 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:21 AM

So is it going for retest today :)

Seriously tho well done. Did you take it with no bumpers?
And just a suggestion maybe a standard R1 exhaust from the breakers with lots of sound deadening in the engine bay to stop the high frequency engine noise. Engine noise can contribute more than exhaust noise in lots of cases. I usually fit a sound pad to the underneath of the Toyota MRS.
The washers would have caught me out too.
It is funny your first time out, a mixture of paranoia and laughter. And did the car fill with smoke?

#173 z cars chris

z cars chris

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:40 AM

good to see the first sva test for a steel bodied mini was fairly close to passing first time ive never known a car pass just straight out the box as im sure the testers try to find something to justify their existance
i took a caterham once which was a race car that a customer wanted to put on the road he dropped it with us the night before the test and i knew it wasnt going to pass but took it anyway
it failed on 23 different things none of them really bad
i went back a week later and a different tester found 20 more things wrong with it
all of them very very petty
not being one for shrinking away from controversy i asked him for his testing number he wanted to know why and i told him that i needed to complain about either him or his collegue
the reasoning behind this is simple either his collegue was right or he was right
if the latest tester was right then his collegue had failed to do his job properly or the current tester was being too picky
funnily enough the car passed after our conversation
in general they are ok i guess its the luck of the draw as to what mood they are in on the day
chris

#174 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:40 PM

hey pete!
hows it going?

their isnt any washers on the triangle arms that bolt to the shockers , he said the bolt could pull through the rubber on the large bearing, also needs some spring washers on the calipers.

The drive down was amazing, i couldnt beleive it, was like a giant go kart, was well worth the day out in it,
the reaction from people was funny ,i passed a mini going the opposite way , i think he looked twice when he heard it!

definately need the suspension setup though

Cheers for letting us know. Will check Andy's so I don't have that problem. Going up to the kit car show Sunday to hopefully get the last few bits and then won't be long before it's ready. Hope it fails on as few bits as yours :withstupid: .

I know what you mean about driving it. Borrowing a certain green minus for Sunday just to get my regular fix and remind myself just how good they are :) . And because he wants me to put some adverts in it to try and sell it :w00t: :thumbsup: .

#175 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

forgot to say...

had two inspectors crawling all over it! they were very interested as they hadnt seen one before, they only usually see sevens and imports i suppose.

pete-would it be worth taking it to notts testing station?- at least they have now seen one now + my mate does cat hire and comes down and sets it up whilst its hooked up to the testers machine

ian- left the bumpers off and put rubber edging instead .
yeah the car did fill with smoke!! even though i had run it up to temp at home ,the exhaust lagging gave off a bit more! lol

dan good luck on thurs hope you pass, you can pop around if you do(ive got a polishing machine to do your paint aswell!)

Edited by adyzr1, 05 May 2007 - 07:55 PM.

#176 wilcooper

wilcooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

Ok for me to pop round too with dan? ;) 8-)

#177 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:51 PM

hi,

got sva re-booked, in the meantime i have modified the clutch (doubled the pressure plates to give more feel on the pedal)

#178 danwebster

danwebster

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:57 PM

awesome looking car!

Can I ask where you got the steering collumn from as i'm looking for one similar?

Cheers,
Dan

#179 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:58 PM

removed these bits from the clutch, the thin wire (piano wire) is prone to failure in kit cars and can come to pieces with obvious conciquences >_< , although ive not heard of one go in a z cars mini, chatting to the lads at mac 1 motorsports they do this mod in all of their factory buiilt cars, as they have heard of it failing from customers that have built cars.

the 2 small rings are anti judder spring and spring seat ring , the thin piano wire is a wire retainer (items 9,11,12 and 13 in my haynes manual)

Attached Files

Edited by adyzr1, 12 May 2007 - 09:19 PM.

#180 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:00 PM

replaced the parts with a normal friction plate from yamaha, this makes up the same size as the parts in the previous picture, as you can see its less likely to fail.

Attached Files

Edited by adyzr1, 12 May 2007 - 09:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users