tomsbluemini

My Blue little monster

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC / Kentish

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:58 PM

Hi Guys

as some of you may or may not know, my Millie is a 998 stage one 86 D reg Mayfair.

I was thinking of a push button start for her, just as a little fun project.

i dont know much about it, i'm just on the steep learning curve of minis now!

What needs to be done? How easy is it to do?

Thanks in advance

Tom
;)

#2 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:00 PM

you need a start button and 2 wires.

you can either route it so that you can use the button and the keys, or just the button.

theres a picture floating around on here do a search

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:07 PM

I don't wish to sound like a big cynic, but what is the sudden interest in push-button start? I've noticed this is the trend among most of the Japanese car makers. It's one of the features they show on almost every television commercial.

Obviously there must be some electronic (RF?) tag or key on your person so only the owner can start the car. Apart from this new, high-tech twist, push-button starters are a thing of the distant past that was abandoned for the "sleek and modern" key-start. Yes, even the Mini when it was first introduced had a push-button start on the floor between the front seats (truth be told it was a push button starter solenoid that still required an ignition key for the dash). I know that the new push-button is a very refined device, but I just don't see the magic.

#4 JoeBodge

JoeBodge

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:10 PM

they look good on race and high modified minis ;)

#5 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:11 PM

I don't wish to sound like a big cynic, but what is the sudden interest in push-button start? I've noticed this is the trend among most of the Japanese car makers. It's one of the features they show on almost every television commercial.

Obviously there must be some electronic (RF?) tag or key on your person so only the owner can start the car. Apart from this new, high-tech twist, push-button starters are a thing of the distant past that was abandoned for the "sleek and modern" key-start. Yes, even the Mini when it was first introduced had a push-button start on the floor between the front seats (truth be told it was a push button starter solenoid that still required an ignition key for the dash). I know that the new push-button is a very refined device, but I just don't see the magic.

meh, each to their own i guess DK. its more of a 'look how cool my car is' sort of thing i guess. seeing as its more difficult to start it with both the keys on ignition then pressing the button.

but anyway heres the pic for you because im bored at work.

[attachment=25203:post_5_1138109854.jpg]

#6 Mini-Dave

Mini-Dave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:13 PM

Because there "racey" :)

Its also different from your average modern car, peugeot, fiesta, citreon ect ect

Plus youl be the envy of all the chavs :proud:

Dave ;)

#7 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:20 PM

Look on this thread:
http://www.theminifo...sh button start

Due to one guy not paying I am left with one of these kits - £13 (including post)and its yours.

#8 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:32 PM

Because there "racey" :)

Its also different from your average modern car, peugeot, fiesta, citreon ect ect

Plus youl be the envy of all the chavs :proud:

Dave ;)

its different from most cars i've seen. i dont think its 'racey' because thats like saying an l.e.d exhaust tip is 'racey', but its just gay.

its just a different way of starting your car that looks cool.

i was gonna get one a while back but decided i'd get bored of pushing the button and would jsut use the keys anyway.

might get one at some point.

also, not handy if you have harnesses and its on your dash.

#9 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:37 PM

who says you need it on your dash..... ;)

Put it on the floor aka MK1 stylee...

#10 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:52 PM

I want a little control panel on the roof where the rearview mirror is with a start button and all the controls for the lights etc just like an airoplance ;)

At the end of the day you might as well wire it in so the keys arent needed at all, its not exactly difficult to 'hotwire' a mini !

Edited by Jimmyarm, 09 January 2007 - 02:53 PM.

#11 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:34 PM

who says you need it on your dash..... ;)

Put it on the floor aka MK1 stylee...

ROFLMAO ! Yes, to each his own. But Guessworks kind of made my point. This is all just for show. Put it on the floor Mk1 style and no one would see it. The schematic above bears this out also. You still have to have the ignition key in the lock and turned to the "on" position or you won't have any power to the coil.

On a side note, you guys mentioned the LED tailpipe. Over here there are all kinds of things boy racers put on their street cars, LED tire valve stem caps, LED windshield washer jets, wheel covers called spinners (where the center keeps turning after you pull up to a stop light), rear wings, and tons of silly decals. I prefer my car be a sleeper, one that no one suspects of being able to move and doesn't call attention to itself. Of course... over here, ANY Mini calls attention to itself.

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:29 PM

You have to retain the steering lock by law anyhow, whether the keys actually run the ignition and starter or not. So you might as well keep it running the ignition at least if not the starter, how complicated do you want your car to be?

#13 mini16

mini16

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

i have one for sale if it helps

http://www.theminifo...x...c=39269&hl=

#14 MRclubman1100cc

MRclubman1100cc

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:12 AM

I put my button start on my mini 4 yrs ago, plus i also have a kill switch..... mini's over here in OZ get stolen alot, so i have my way of stoping them, plus i also carry a 20" steel pipe LOL... not realy

#15 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:15 AM

i have push button but only because i made my loom from scratch!! for any race inspired mods all u need is 1 ignition live wire and put it with a push to make switch to the white wire with a red tracer under the dash!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users