#16 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:54 PM

You have to retain the steering lock by law anyhow, whether the keys actually run the ignition and starter or not. So you might as well keep it running the ignition at least if not the starter, how complicated do you want your car to be?

Why do you have to keep the steering lock ?

Cant you get rid of the keys alltogether and just have an ignition switch ?

Edited by Jimmyarm, 10 January 2007 - 12:54 PM.

#17 Awlred Drives a Quant

Awlred Drives a Quant

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred and Exhausted

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:28 PM

Its part of the MOT if it was fitted with one it must keep it.

My ponderment about it is wiring it into the brake fail light switch thingy.

Toodles

#18 Mini-Dave

Mini-Dave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:55 PM

That would be pretty cool!

and have that switch on a spring type mechinisym.

Id like one, but i think ill wait till the cars finished before messing around with things like that!

Dave

#19 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:00 PM

Its part of the MOT if it was fitted with one it must keep it.

Toodles

Are you sure its not just a case of if its fitted it must work properly (which would make more sense as you dont want it to come one whilst your driving !) ? There is no 'safety' reason why it should be fitted, its just an anti theft device so taking it off shouldnt cause an issue.

Will check with my MOT tester friend when I get home :)

Edit: Just looked in the manual in the FAQ and it does say that if its missing its a fail ! Have sent them a question asking for clarification of why :)

Edited by Jimmyarm, 10 January 2007 - 02:06 PM.

#20 Mini-Dave

Mini-Dave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:19 PM

This might be a stupid question, but if you just have a button (although now i think we've established you have to have a key) how would you turn the car off / just turn the power on ( normal one clikc with key)

Dave :blush:

Edited by Mini-Dave, 10 January 2007 - 02:20 PM.

#21 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:22 PM

You have two switches instead, one for the first click, one for the second and then pushing the button is the equivalent of turning the key all the way.

Or if you retain the key (which it appears you have to because of the steering lock) you have one switch which replaces the second click of the key.

The normal key method is just a switch, operated by a key :)

Edited by Jimmyarm, 10 January 2007 - 02:23 PM.

#22 Mini-Dave

Mini-Dave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:23 PM

Ah i see!

So theres even MORE switches to impress you mates with !

Cool! lol

Thanks

#23 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

Exactly, click, click - push button 'broom broom' :) Looks great, especially if you have those covered switches and have to flick up the cover first :)

#24 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:34 PM

Ok, even if the steering lock is part of the MOT, why is it?! What function does it serve.

Don't really want to admit to this, but my MOT tester (who is actually very good), has missed my missing steering lock (on account of there being no barrel there anyway) for the past two years.

#25 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:58 PM

Regulations, motor vehicles, construction and use.

All vehicle must be equipped with a device to mechanically immobilise the vehicle while the driver is absent.

It's a throwback to World War 2 to stop the Nazis using peoples cars as transport after they invade (seriously) but it's still law.

Most cars have steering locks but some have locks on the gearstick or brakes. So you have to keep it.

Oh and by the way, the whole point of having knock-off switch covers is to make something (normally in an aircraft) hard to turn on and easy to turn off. They really do turn the switch off at the lightest touch. While it may look cool to have them on your car, it doesn't look cool for the ignition to switch itself off at every pothole, speed bump or every time you reach for a Werthers Original. Then you have to fumble around to turn it back on. It is also fairly dangerous. I would never put a cover on the ignition switch for this reason but I'd put them everywhere else. I think the covers also make toggle switches officially safe so you can't impale yourself on them in a crash. And don't be boring and get red ones, they come in loads of colours.

#26 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

^^ I'd rather have the ignition go off than the lights when its dark ! :D

#27 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:13 PM

Regarding multiple switches and turning the car off... go back to the first page of this thread and look at the posted schematic.

One of the configurations shows that the coil is powered by one of the wires on the ignition switch when it's in the run mode. Power is taken from that ignition connection and runs to the push button start. As I said earlier you have to turn the key on to the run position to power the coil, then according to the schematic yo have to push the start button to activate the starter and crank the engine. When you turn the ignition key off, that removes power from the coil and the engine starts. No extra switches are necessary to stop the car.

You guys have your fun. I'll stick to the regular old turn-key start. The only car I've seen this as an issue on are/were some SAABs where the ignition lock is mounted vertically in a console between the front seats. It's a great place to spill drinks and gum up the switch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users