#16 stanley and naomi

stanley and naomi

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Local Club: Southwest Cornwall

Posted 29 August 2007 - 01:00 PM

so you use mdf primer and then pvc glue to get the shinny finish?

where do you get the chrome dial surrounds? as i'm in the middle of doing my dash.

thanks

#17 hlynur

hlynur

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:38 PM

so you use mdf primer and then pvc glue to get the shinny finish?

where do you get the chrome dial surrounds? as i'm in the middle of doing my dash.

thanks

nah, I use cellulose lacquer to get the shiny finish :D I use glue to seal the cut edges which particularly suck up primer and to make it hard around eyeball vents and so forth to stop bits breaking off. I chipped retaining holes in the mdf for the lugs in the air vent surround and that made the MDF quite thin and fragile in places.

Once you've brushpainted something with primer it seems silly to remove half the material just trying to erase the brushstrokes so that's why I used the filler primer before the top coat.

#18 Mini Man Dan

Mini Man Dan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:35 PM

I cut the initial shape then used EVA glue rather than PVA to harden the edges, the gauge apertures and anywhere else that was vulnerable looking or needed further working to perfect the shape.

I then applied MDF primer and flatted off with 240 grit.

Finally a high build filler primer from Halfords was used before flatting with 600 grade wet and dry. You might need a different colour primer over the filler; depending on what you're top coat requires. One coat of cheapo primer is more economical in the long run than several extra coats of body colour.

Posted Image

Don't laugh at my crappy speaker wiring.

I like that dash! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users