41 replies to this topic

#31 luvlygal

luvlygal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:48 AM

fill the cells of the battery with distilled water , find a nice person with a charger , charge it , put some fresh pretrol in , take you spark plugs out give them a clean and try starting it if it does not start ,

get a little bit of petrol, take the air filter off and poor it down the inlet then start it it should fire up , it then should start running it always works for me , but i normaly get a big flame come out of the carb lol

I've checked the battery and it's deffo got enough water in it. Will try and get it charged and will let you know what happens.
Thanks for your help :proud:

#32 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:14 AM

Hi Georgous!

Always worth checking the engine earhing strap. Its vital that your eathing is good between the engine and body of the car. Basically, if your earthing is poor, it will not allow efficient battery charging. Wether your car is earthed negative or positive, the engine, generator earth will depend on how good the strap is. I assume the earhig strap is either on the engine stabilizer, or on the clutch cover? Either way, If the strap looks bad I would recommend buying a new one, or at least giving the one u have a da*n good clean!
Also, ensure all contact areas between the engine, strap and body are clean, and you can try making thes surfaces better by using a little bit of sans paper to clean them. After replacing the strap, using vaseline willl help avoid corrosion on the bare metal areas.

Hope this helps
John

#33 luvlygal

luvlygal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:37 AM

Hi Georgous!

Always worth checking the engine earhing strap. Its vital that your eathing is good between the engine and body of the car. Basically, if your earthing is poor, it will not allow efficient battery charging. Wether your car is earthed negative or positive, the engine, generator earth will depend on how good the strap is. I assume the earhig strap is either on the engine stabilizer, or on the clutch cover? Either way, If the strap looks bad I would recommend buying a new one, or at least giving the one u have a da*n good clean!
Also, ensure all contact areas between the engine, strap and body are clean, and you can try making thes surfaces better by using a little bit of sans paper to clean them. After replacing the strap, using vaseline willl help avoid corrosion on the bare metal areas.

Hope this helps
John

Who you calling gorgeous? :proud:

You're talking to me as if you think I know what you're talking about!! Although I can say that I have more of an idea than most, I have no idea where I would find the Earthing strap!!
All I have is you lot and my trusty Haynes manual to help me on this one and so far, the Haynes has failed. I really need a car battery charger... Grrrr! Am going to try rocking the car tonight. School doesn't help me in this situation! Takes up so much tiiiiiime!

Jenn xx

#34 bandit

bandit

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Local Club: '

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:06 PM

hello
jenn
try taking the battery off and connect the jump leads to the mini leads, i have found that if the battery is completely dead it takes power away from jump starting.

if you are local i would offer to pop around ant try a few things

good luck

dean

#35 bandit

bandit

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

Definately not the handbrake. That doesn't work so it's been left off!
Wheels have just seized!

if the wheels are steel hit them with a big hammer this should free them up abit.

dean

#36 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

Hi Jenn
Nothing ment in a bad way by the "georgous" remark! Honeslty, its just the way i am. We are all here to learn off eachother, but having a Haynes Manual will help in any situation. Whatever the situation with your car, if its been standing a long time, its always good to check the earhing strap for its condition. If you try and have a look down at the botom end of the clutch cover below the starteer, you may see a strap connecting the cover to the inner Right wing. This is an eathing strap. if it isnt there, perhaps it is next to the upper engine stabilizer mount. Give it and its connections a good clean etc.
No matter how much all of us know, we dont know everything, hence why we come on here if we have problems we havn't encountered before.

Hope this info helps
John

#37 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

The only time I had an issue with my starter motor clicking was about a decade ago and we had to strip it down and give it a good clean (rocking the car back and forth did nothing). Then its worked fine ever since.

Try to avoid spraying WD40 anywhere near your electrics though, because it has a bad effect in the long run and stinks when the engines hot too. So don't use it on your HT Leads or Dizzy unless you really have to in a get me home kind of emergency situation. Then either clean everything (HT Leads, Dizzy Cap etc) up or replace the components if necessary.

Edited by taffy1967, 08 March 2007 - 01:31 PM.

#38 luvlygal

luvlygal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

Great. Thanks for the advice Taffy, John and Dean. Where are you Dean?

#39 bandit

bandit

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:02 PM

Great. Thanks for the advice Taffy, John and Dean. Where are you Dean?

hello
birmingham

i had a cooper that was standing for over 12 months, battery dead so i removed that and jumped it direct stated first time when i did that even with old petrol in her. make sure you a a good set of leads. if that dont work take the battery off the other car connect it to mini and try that, then it will start easier next time.

hope this helps and works for you.

dean

#40 luvlygal

luvlygal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:39 PM

Thanks a lot mate :proud:

#41 bandit

bandit