15 replies to this topic

#1 Ebanks

Ebanks

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:26 AM

Just thought I would introduce myself to you all. I am in the process of selling some of my other cars to pick up a mini to do the RWD hyabusa conversion on.

My experience is mainly in injected toyotas, but I have had a soft spot for minis since I was 15 and am finally to the point where I am feeling fairly burnt out on my lexus projects. Time to move onto something new, so I am going to work on a bike powered mini now.

To let you know a bit of my backround, this is my last "serious" car I had. I sold it back in February. It was a 95 SC300 tuned to 981 RWHP.

http://www.somniplex.com/gallery/Ethan

Currently I am selling my 585 RWHP 99 SC300 and my stock 95 SC400 to get into this mini project.

Anyways, hope to learn a lot from you guys, and we are planning flying over in the winter to check out Zcars facilities so maybe we could meet a few of you guys and check out some of the british mini guys cars :grin:

-Ethan

#2 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 14 October 2004 - 07:15 AM

Hey Ethan, that lexus has crazy power u gotta be bonkers to drive it :angry: , as for the Z cars conversion there is a few off here that are in the process of it, so maybe they could give you a hand... welcome to the site

Nick

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 14 October 2004 - 08:09 AM

Fek.... 1000hp :angry:

Don't even think of putting that into a mini... or you'll be the first to put a mini into orbit...

Looks like you have loads of fun with the Jap' cars... and you've now decided to have a real project !!!

Love to see how it goes...

And welcome..

#4 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:44 AM

981 rear wheel HP, bloody hell! youll want to talk to Alburglar and F1_Mini. theyre doing bike engined conversions.

j

#5 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:03 AM

hello and welcome to the mini forum

#6 16vminiman

16vminiman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:08 PM

Hello & welcome....

that engine is just too nice!! drool... :ohno: :angry:

I'm also in the early stages of a project, which is possibly gonna be bike engined, and rwd (at least!), are you planning on turboing the hayabusa?? it looks like you've had a bit of experience with turbos!! :ohno:

#7 Ebanks

Ebanks

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 05:00 AM

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I am planning on just doing a fuel injected busa swap to start. Once I get the suspension dialed in I will probably spray it a bit... Probably a small shot like 50hp.

I do mainly drag racing, and my goal is to get this car into the low 9s on a slick or high 9s/low 10s on a drag radial, which I think would be possible with just a well tuned stock motor on a 50 shot.

-Ethan

#8 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 15 October 2004 - 10:56 AM

That Lexus looks very normal for such a fast car,.

Glad your getting a mini, with you expert knowlage great things could happen. :angry:

As for drag racing the mini, does any one know what the fastest drag racing mini's time is????

Im sure 9 seconds would be extremely fast for a mini!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!!!!! :grin:

#9 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 15 October 2004 - 11:00 AM

I think stuart meads rear engine zvh turbo mini thats 440bhp runs in the low 11s, but im not too sure, i aint got my copy of mini mag handy :fear:

#10 16vminiman

16vminiman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:22 PM

yep stuart meads does run in the low 11's, he claims a 0-60 time of about under 3 seconds, so a 9 second mini would have to be sub 2 seconds 0-60!! :angry:

i think the holeshot hayabusa is also running in the 11's aswell.

i think stuart meads has the title of "fastest mini in the uk" (on a drag strip) or something like that.

#11 Ebanks

Ebanks

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 09:09 PM

What is limiting these guys? 11 sec is SLOW for the power/weight these guys have.. Do they not run a good tire or are the tracks in the UK not prepped well?

Don't get me wrong, and 11 sec car is quick, but for the power weight they should be doing a lot better than that.

-Ethan

#12 Ebanks

Ebanks

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 09:11 PM

That Lexus looks very normail for such a fast car,.

Glad your getting a mini, with you expert knowlage great things could happen. :angry:

As for drag racing the mini, does any one know what the fastest drag racing mini's time is????

Im sure 9 seconds would be extremely fast for a mini!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!!!!! :grin:

The lexus did look normal, and that is something I pride myself in. I like to keep things streetable and normal, I don't like to totally hack something up. The mini will be no different. We are hoping for a complete interior with nice carpets, nice leather, wood trim, etc.

-Ethan

#13 16vminiman

16vminiman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 11:03 PM

I think one of problems with getting good 1/4 mile times is the mini's aerodynamics...or lack of...!! :tongue:

regarding power to weight, if stuart meads car is about 700kg's (should be about right), he has 440bhp...so thats about 620bhp per ton......no problems there then :angry:

may have something to do gear ratio's too, i don't know what gear ratio's these guys have, but i'll be messing around with a few ratio's on mine... and i don't see the point of a mini thats geared for 160mph, you'd never reach that speed (because of aerodynamics!!).

i'm going the same way as you with my interior, it'll have full leather, carpets, soundproofing, etc, not stripped out!

#14 Ebanks

Ebanks

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 04:02 AM

With the right power to weight you could hit that 160 MPH mark... I am thinking that 130-140 will be hit in the 1/4 mile with a well prepped track, good tires, and some wheelie bars, and that is just with spray and some good suspension tuning.

Who knows though, I guess we won't really find out for sure until my other cars get sold and I get one of these over to the states:) I know not many people really work over minis for drag racing as the main purpose, so hopefully we will be able to do some things that haven't been done before..

-Ethan

#15 SAILINON

SAILINON

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:43 AM

Hi Ethan, I live near Indianapolis. Hope you're close by, because I'd really enjoy helping you with your build up! Our goals are the same in terms of the car we'd like to build.

If you search on hayabusa on this site, you'll find a ton of online build diaries. You've probably already done that.

Later,
CJP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users