#1 mic

mic

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:56 PM

the rear carpet is SOAKED! front isnt too bad but its not normal! ive about dried the carpet out but the sound deadening? stuff is beyond hope. what could cause so much water inside the car?! the roof doesnt leak, id say it comes UP thru the car rather than down into.

anyone else had this problem?!

mic

#2 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:57 PM

the rear carpet is SOAKED! front isnt too bad but its not normal! ive about dried the carpet out but the sound deadening? stuff is beyond hope. what could cause so much water inside the car?! the roof doesnt leak, id say it comes UP thru the car rather than down into.

anyone else had this problem?!

mic

More experienced people will post but i have the same problem! check your rubber seals around rear windows because thats a good way for it to run in! mine also gets wet, looks like i better drill some drainage holes!

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:04 PM

Yup, check all the window/door seals... check the heater matrix... check the floor for pin holes etc.. renew rubber grommets in the floor where possible.... and clear out or enlargen the drainage holes in the bottom of the door also check the whole bulkhead....

#4 mayfairjimmy

mayfairjimmy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Local Club: Bucks Mini Club

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:07 PM

wouldn't holes let water in?? :xxx:

#5 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:09 PM

yes... that is the nature of holes :xxx:

which holes in particular...?

#6 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

yeah holes let water in but the rain doesnt come up from the floor! going through massive puddles would probably give some intake but very little, the holes just channel the water out of the floor really! its better a few holes than a rusty floor!

#7 mayfairjimmy

mayfairjimmy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:20 PM

true, i have a hole that was cause when rebuilding the front end on the vertical piece of the passenger foot well, its not exposed to very much but a lot of water comes in, so place them wisely :xxx:

#8 mic

mic

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:21 PM

i was thinkin it seems strange because its a lot more in the back rather than the front..... even the carpet on the front wheel arch is wet but i suppose the water could soak up. but that doesnt explain water in the back because it cant climb over the metal box section!

#9 mayfairjimmy

mayfairjimmy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:30 PM

true have you checked for holes in the rear arches and under the back seats?

#10 mic

mic

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:35 PM

apparently its an on-goin thing, happens once or twice a year (according to last owner). last year he took the carpets out and checked everything out - even ran a bit of sealant round the edges as he couldnt see anything obvious. i havent really checked in the daylight but is on my things to do tomorrow list

#11 mayfairjimmy

mayfairjimmy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:42 PM

oh right sounds strange, only other idea is the seals every where double check all of them

#12 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:02 AM

hum sounds rather strnage mic. im not sure of what im thinking of happens on minis but is your car a sunroof model? I have never looked at a sunroof model but on my old scoob there was a small nossel that drailed water that collected in the sunroof , drained them down a hose and then out of a hole in the boot where the vents are that control the air pressure in the cab, because when randomly looking through the boot i disconnected it not realising what it did and it caused my boot floor to become drenched.

Does the same thing happen on minis? I know they have the same kind of thing on later type polos.

Probably totaly wrong

#13 mic

mic

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:35 AM

well it has a sunroof but dont know about a drainage channel but i bet its something like that, i had it nearly dried out, just come back after taking it for a spin and its built up again! wondering if its storing up somewhere and flowing out on bends or something

#14 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:24 PM

With all the carpets & sound proofing removed, lightly tip some talc on the floor up front and behind. Then get someone to hose down the outside of the car whilst your sitting in it and look to see where the water runs from. Apparantely the talc helps.

It's usually due to window seals though and the front windscreen seal is a favourite leaking hot spot. Also replace the rear quarter opening window seals if their allowing any water to get in and what state are your door seals in too? Is the hinge surround seal in place? That's the black rubber seal that sits around the door opening arm, I've heard you'll get problems if thats missing too.

If it's not coming through the windscreen seal, then it could be coming through the bulkhead instead. So make sure the bonnet is fitted properly and if possible fit a post 1996 bonnet seal which runs down the sides of the engine compartment seam too.

Edited by taffy1967, 12 March 2007 - 04:25 PM.

#15 mic

mic

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:26 PM

did a quick vid of the car.... http://www.theminifo...mp;#entry475241

you think that might be a give away?! im gonna sand the rust back, its only surface and recoat an watch out for it coming in! (i dont have a hosepipe so cant really test it at home)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users