15 replies to this topic

#1 Vurt

Vurt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 01:00 AM

Just looking for some confirmation from somebody wiser in these matters than I... just bought the stage one kit and noticed the tubing going across the top of the inlet manifold... i'm guessing that the idea is to cut the radiator water pipe onto these two ends to give it extra heat...anyone tell me if thats true?

cheers very much, sorry if thats not enough info

#2 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Local Club: Dont have one:(

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:08 AM

i dont have any pipe connected to mine at all its fine with it out ive been told but you can put in on there but dont know what pipes go where!

#3 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:22 AM

You NEED to connect that pipe to your heater hose.

Its there to prevent the carb icing up, the alloy inlet manifolds are much better than the std cast items at preventing thermal transfer from the block (and exhaust manifold where they are originally one item).

#4 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:41 AM

O ive been told you dont really need them on there ive been running like that for over 12 months now and had no problems really. where can you get the pipe then to connect it all up?

#5 Vurt

Vurt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:49 AM

Its there to prevent the carb icing up, the alloy inlet manifolds are much better than the std cast items at preventing thermal transfer from the block (and exhaust manifold where they are originally one item).

okay cheers fellas, one more question...

the heater hose looks to me to be too big to fit, and also doesn't go very near the manifold so seem like it would taake a fair bit of extension to get to it... there are a few pipes that sit straight across the manifold, but they seem to be emission pipes... what exactly do i need to connect

cheers

#6 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:14 AM

You need to connect the bit that comes from the water take off and flows through the bulkhead into the heater matrix. IIRC the heater take off is on the thermostat on a 1275 head ?

Heater hose is cheap as chips as well, costs £4 a metre or something like that :thumbsup:

Day101, quite a few people dont connect it up and you may not notice anything depending on how and when you drive your car. It is there for a reason though, some peeps have even reported better fuel consumption after connecting it (thats a good enough reason for most!).

#7 Vurt

Vurt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:18 AM

You need to connect the bit that comes from the water take off and flows through the bulkhead into the heater matrix. IIRC the heater take off is on the thermostat on a 1275 head ?

Heater hose is cheap as chips as well, costs £4 a metre or something like that :thumbsup:

Day101, quite a few people dont connect it up and you may not notice anything depending on how and when you drive your car. It is there for a reason though, some peeps have even reported better fuel consumption after connecting it (thats a good enough reason for most!).

thanks a lot! when i said one more question i lied, i have another, sorry...

just found the gas sampling pipe attached the exhaust manifold...something to do with the fact i have a cat? doesn't seem to be a simple way to connect that to the new manifold...

#8 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:28 AM

The LCB's specifically designed for 1300 carbs with a cat have a drilled Y-piece section that the gas sampling pipe runs into, you might be able to buy this section so you could use the gas sampling, or you could drill the Y-piece yourself and tap it for the pipe.

#9 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

You don't NEED to connect this, and in fact I have NEVER connected it... Carb icing occurs in the carb not the manifold, and the carb is isolated (thermally) from the inlet by the plastic spacer block...

It's there for those which use it in colder climates ( ie scandinavia etc )

#10 day101

day101

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

o right, i dont need to worry then good good, dont have to spend more money where its not needed really. :thumbsup:

#11 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:00 AM

You don't NEED to connect this, and in fact I have NEVER connected it... Carb icing occurs in the carb not the manifold, and the carb is isolated (thermally) from the inlet by the plastic spacer block...

It's there for those which use it in colder climates ( ie scandinavia etc )

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this GW, mine runs better with it connected !

#12 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:00 AM

Doesn't stop carb icing in the slightest.

As guessworks says, the carb is isolated. Had carb icing on my El Gordo with the K&N cone filter jobbie. If you want to stop carb icing then the hot air feed need to be connected to the airbox.

#13 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:03 AM

Its what its there for !!!!!!

#14 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:08 AM

ok,

[attachment=29017:DSCN1508.JPG]

El Gordo's 998 engine (finished in yellow, is very nice) note the CONNECTED alloy manifold. I HAVE had carb icing with this set-up.

Please explain.

edit

....man I need to clean up them master cylinders.

Edited by Big_Adam, 13 March 2007 - 11:14 AM.

#15 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:30 PM

Are you sure you are suffering from Carb Icing;

http://en.wikipedia....arburetor_icing

I have some more info at home on it as well which I will dig out, I am not making this up ! :thumbsup: The manifold is heated to help prevent carb icing !

Edit; I like the yellow :)

Edited by Jimmyarm, 13 March 2007 - 02:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users