664 replies to this topic

#631 coolmini

coolmini

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:35 PM

hi there have you got any more pics of the stalk wiring as am have way through mines and cant use my mini :D

cheers lee

#632 wardyxxx

wardyxxx

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Local Club: Leicester Mini Club

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

hi there have you got any more pics of the stalk wiring as am have way through mines and cant use my mini :D

cheers lee

If Mark's lost his, I think i've got the one i used somewhere.

#633 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:45 PM

I'll have a look through what I have and let you know, as far as I can remember though, I robbed the stalk wiring plugs from a Rover 400 and they matched colour for colour for the wipers and indicators, the only thing I had to test through was the headlight wiring, but then that was just splicing the original switch panel switch wiring to the stalk wiring.

#634 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:48 PM

Noticed that when I went to take the car for the MOT, the oil pressure warning light didn't come on with the ignition, tested the wiring, all fine, shorted the signal wire to earth, dash light came on so that leaves a fubared pressure switch. All I can say is, that Christ for Mini prices, ~£3 + postage off ebay 8-) Saying as I'd like to know if the engine ever rapidly loses oil pressure, I snapped it up.

No worky ;)
Posted Image
Culprit
Posted Image
Shiny new one
Posted Image
Mark a happy man
Posted Image

So with that, decided to go and dilute the year old petrol that's in the tank, so off for a tank of Shell's finest, still only cost £24 to fill it from just about 1/4 tank, that works out about £100 cheaper than filling the Range Rover from 1/4 >_<

Took the scenic route home, about 3/4 an hour detour in fact, took it steady the whole way apart from 5 mins from home when I stuck my toe down, was running absolutely beautiful, bit tweaking of the fuelling and ignition map to be done for around 2k rpm, but nothing major. Even embarrassed some kid in a 'fast' Corsa SXI too, he thought he'd be able to keep up on the twisties. Wrong!

So I'm confident it's running good now so I can just drive it and enjoy it over the summer, I'd like to get it booked in to Motorscope or anywhere else local that has a good reputation for a full rolling road tune to get the best out of the engine, might give them Motorscope a call and have a word about it, see if they can do anything with it.

I'm off to a local classic & American car thing down at the Metro Centre in Gateshead tomorrow night if the weather stays good too, so I'll take my camera :D

#635 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

Tiny update, I've never been happy with the passenger door that was reskinned when I had all the bodywork done. To be honest, he's done quite a crappy job, the door looks like it's sort of twisted.

So, on ebay, found a new Rover MPI door that had never been painted. It's dated 1999 has a couple of small dents off storage but that's nothing. So hoping it will fit better than the one that's on, I'll get it painted after I've drilled all the holes for the central locking and see how the electric windows will fit etc.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Whilst the door is in getting painted, I'm having the passenger rear 1/4 panel redone as that's all rippled too.

Next on the list of stupid things that annoy me with the car, the genuine W&P arches which, frankly, look awful. They've never fitted properly, the quality isn't very good either, a major disappointment as they're supposed to be one of the best.

So, going back to the standard arches already in black, unsure if I'll have them painted, they'll do for now, then if I decide to go for new wheels, (Force racing ones will have to wait a while :) ) I'll get some bigger arches that will hopefully fit better.

So for now, (& £20 from Mini Spares - bargain!)

Posted Image
Posted Image

They also came with the fixings and the 2 sill trims, although they'll need straightening out with a heat gun :P
Posted Image

If the weather stays good today, I'm gonna see about fitting the arches.

#636 drewsargent1980

drewsargent1980

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Local Club: Anglian Mini Club ( AMC )

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

Shame about the W&P arches my car is just been resprayed and fitted with the W&P Arches they did take a bit of fettling but look great.

#637 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:53 PM

OK, so since July, I have been really busy with other things, changed my daily drive for a newer car so lots of hassle selling the Range Rover, spent lots of time on the new car, paintwork mainly, (machine polishing, swirl removal etc) and had some repair work and servicing done on it, add to that long work days, basically, when I come in from work, I can't be bothered to drive over to my Gran's garage to start work on the Mini. If truth be told, over the last few months, I've sort of lost enthusiasm with the Mini. As much as I hate to admit it, I just didn't feel like doing any work on it or even have the drive to get my ass in gear and sort a few things that really should be done.

So, this week, I'll be giving the paintwork a good going over, give the engine a quick service, well, change the oil mainly, sort the ride height and whip the exhaust off to paint the silencers before they rust.

So with a bit of luck, over the next few weeks, project money pit will be back :D

I might even take it for a drive too, I think it's done a whopping 53 miles since it's MOT :lol:

#638 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

Hey Mark. Suprised you're losing the W&P arches, I thought they really suit the car! LIke you said I thought there were one of the best too, they certainly cost enough, so it's bad you are having such issues with them.

I certainly know what you mean about losing motivation with a Mini, even a MOT'd road-going one. Little things bring it back though :) Give yourself a kick to the garage!

#639 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

I like the look of W&P arches, likes on Pauly's car, he's got them perfect, mine however aren't a good fit so playing it safe with standard arches.

I've got an early-ish finish tomorrow I think so I'm going to go and get cracking with the car though.

#640 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

Waaaaay overdue an update. I never did get over to get cracking with the car. Truth is, it's sat unloved in the garage since October last year, and it had only covered 30 miles last year, not 53!

But, it has an MOT still, and is insured again, so the logical thing was to tax it, I think I have a day off tomorrow so no doubt take the car for a well deserved run out then a good wash, machine polish and wax as surprisingly, it's filthy. I went over to the garage a few weeks ago to start it up to make sure the battery was still good and that it would run with year old fuel. Fired up on the first turn and ran sweet.

I can't wait to get behind the wheel again.

#641 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Bit of an update, started making yet more changes to the interior.

First up, the boot lining kit, it was dark grey, but looked a bit off as everything else in the car is black, so bought 5m x1m of black carpet and retrimmed it so it now matches quite well.

Posted Image

Also, the centre arm rest sides are looking shabby, one side is warped and the other is a bit tired looking, so carpeted one of them front and back, I'm waiting on some rubber edging trim to tidy it all up once it's finished. The centre console sides will get the same treatment too.

Posted Image

The warped one is going to be cut out of 6mm ply and covered, then it'll just need carpeted and ready to fit back in the car.
Posted Image

I'm also going to make another boot lid liner as the fibre board one I bought turned out to be rubbish quality and it trashed.
Posted Image

And a quick pic after giving the car a much needed wash.
Posted Image

#642 fattail95

fattail95

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

Mate, I've just read all 43 pages and I'm stunned. Fantastic mini! One thing that's always bugged me about it is that the needles on your rev counter, speedo, fuel and water gauges are white, whereas the auxiliary gauges are orange? Seems a bit odd to me! But apart from that, there's nothing I could possibly do to improve it, you must be very proud good sir.

#643 DaveJH

DaveJH

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

Damn it, I went looking under 'new posts' for a nice leisurely read to fill the quarter of an hour or so I had left until I would hit the hay. That was almost three hours ago! Awesome thread and awesome car mate, the attention to detail is incredible. If you ever decide to sell this on can I take early bird first dibs? =]

I'm looking forward to you getting the electric windows done!

#644 bcjames

bcjames

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:25 AM

An update! An you've done stuff! I'd better sit down :D

Those W&ps do look so good. It's a shame they don't fit well.

Edited by bcjames, 08 April 2012 - 07:27 AM.

#645 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Cheers, I've never noticed the needles, it'll probably bug me now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users