#496 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

Vehicle speed should have nowt to do with the mixture. The air flow meter takes care of the increase in air speed due to 'car' speed as your ECU wont have a different map for each gear, just for throttle pos and RPM. Plus it would get confused in a mini when you have fitted the wrong gearbox (for the ECU) and/or the mph/1000 is different to what it thinks it should be due to the different rolling radius.

Sounds more like your ICV is shot. Had the same on the wifes Ka, would stall at a junction but fire straight up, left no fault codes and was all down to a faulty ICV

The C16SE doesn't have an AFM, it relies on a TPS, CTS, Lambda, MAP sensor, Air Temperature Sensor and VSS to ascertain the conditions and sit the timing, mixture etc as it runs full DIS. The gearbox wouldn't make any difference to the ECU because the VSS will still send a signal to the ECU no matter what the FD ratio of the 'box is. It might not be the 100% correct speed but it will certainly be able to differentiate between 10mph and stationary. The ICV is fine because it was brand new from Vauxhall only 18 months ago and if I'm honest has only done about 4k since then. Clean as a whistle, the TB is clean and the wiring to the ICV is perfect as is the rest of the loom.

It is definitely the VSS that is causing the cutting out at junctions etc.

Al - brilliant, thanks for that, very helpful for when I finally get round to it :)

Matt - It'll be there, fingers crossed :D

#497 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

no problems bud

#498 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

Ah, no airflow meter on the 1.6's then (only played with the big blocks my self), makes a bit more sense then. Happy to learn something new :D

#499 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

Ah, no airflow meter on the 1.6's then (only played with the big blocks my self), makes a bit more sense then. Happy to learn something new :D

Well, the earlier 1.6's as fitted to the Nova GTe did have an AFM, they ran a very similar system to the VW Digifant set-up with an AFM and air temp sensor combined rather than a seperate MAP sensor (and no VSS because they ran a cable speedo). The engine code is still C16SE, but on the later cars, the Mk3 Astra GLS which my engine is from, they did away with the AFM and went for a MAP sensor and VSS instead, not sure why though :)

I know the big blocks are a different story and ran completely different EM systems, amazing how things can differ so much on cars from the same era.

#500 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:19 PM

Well there you go. What is surprising is that Vaux are normally very good at interchangable parts.

#501 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

tom, on the throttle body there is 2 vacuums oui?

At the moment i have:
Servo vacuum - blanked
Side of throttle body - MAP
Bottom of thorttle body - ? Nothing
Back of plenum - fuel regulator

what gots on the bottom of the TB?

#502 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

I believe the output on the bottom of the T/B is used as part of the charcoal canistor system on the Astra. On mine I have run it to the air filter, however I also ran it blanked off for a while and it made absolutely zero difference to how the car ran either way.

#503 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

ah hah! cheers tom (youth) :P

Al

#504 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:44 PM

Might as well give a little update. I've now converted it to run a hydraulic clutch using the standard Vauxhall slave cylinder and a Mini master cylinder. All the components are brand new so should give many thousands of miles of trouble free service! I've done a few other bits and pieces too, just maintenance and the usual really.

Oh yeah, and I fitted a VSS and it completely cured the annoying cutting out and dodgy idling when warm problem :errr:

It'll be up for sale once I get back from Germany in September. I know its not a good time to be selling cars really but I've just bought a Corrado VR6 and I'm generally feeling that the Mini would be better off with an owner who drives it more frequently than I do! If I had the space I'd keep it but I'm limited to 2 cars and I'm not running the VR as a daily!

So if anyone is interested then please get in touch. I have a figure in mind which in no way equates to what I've spent, but it is what I feel is a realistic price in order to get it sold.

Tom

#505 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:18 AM

I am sure i asked this a while ago when you were looking at selling before.BUT can you pm me a price. I am not back to teh UK until next July but you never know.
cheers

#506 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

Ah no. Don't sell up Tom! :)

Your Mini is legendry. :)

#507 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:45 PM

Ok, my Mini is now 100% for sale. I love it but it's time to move on and be all grown up with houses and stuff :D

The advert on Pistonheads is here: PH Advert

Price is £5000. If you have a read through this thread you can see the work that's been done, I feel the price is very fair.

Tom

Edited by Purple Tom, 20 June 2010 - 01:28 PM.

#508 revingtosh

revingtosh

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:41 PM

Oh yeah, and I fitted a VSS and it completely cured the annoying cutting out and dodgy idling when warm problem :lol:

Hi Tom,

Can you tell me how you sorted this? Ive got the same issue on my C16Se Mini. However, the donor Astra had a cable speedo fitted.

#509 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

tom, the VSS plugs into the back of the gearbox onto the mechanical output (white plastic bit)

3 wires come out and should attach to the following:
Black - Ignition
Brown - Earth
blue&red - 9 pin connecter.

The 9 pin connecter is the 9 wires that normall go onto another part of the vauxhall loom. Same location as your tachometer wire and fuel pump wire. There will be a matching blue&red wire on here, attach wire it to this (not red&blue - thats fuel pump)

Hope it helps! mine is all wired in, cant really say if it works yet as i havnt driven it a great distance!

Al

Oh yeah, and I fitted a VSS and it completely cured the annoying cutting out and dodgy idling when warm problem ;D

Hi Tom,

Can you tell me how you sorted this? Ive got the same issue on my C16Se Mini. However, the donor Astra had a cable speedo fitted.

#510 revingtosh

revingtosh

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for that.

Do you have a part number for the VSS? Im not sure which one to order, or where to get it from.

Ta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users