536 replies to this topic

#511 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:10 PM

scrappy! where im going some time this week. Any vaux gearbox from that era, F15 17 18 19 etc

#512 revingtosh

revingtosh

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

scrappy! where im going some time this week. Any vaux gearbox from that era, F15 17 18 19 etc

Tidy,

Is is just the plug type thing that fits where the speedo cable should be? Or do you need to obtain internal gearbox parts to make it all work too?

#513 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

nope, just the plug thing, unscrews, big plastic thread thing

#514 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:54 PM

Missed all this - as Alex says it's a piece of cake to wire up, all pretty much just plug and play with the exception of the necessary wiring. Just remove the VSS from a mid-late 90's Corsa or Astra, it's a plastic cylindrical object about the size of a 'D' battery.

#515 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:52 PM

That's exactly what I'm about to do on mine.

Another question Tom.....

When converting from cable to hydro clutch, did you have to lift the whole unit out, or was there enough room to slide the box out to the side and get the new slave cylinder in there?:proud:

#516 revingtosh

revingtosh

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

Thanks,

Which wire on the ECU did you connect to?

Mike

#517 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:00 PM

tom, the VSS plugs into the back of the gearbox onto the mechanical output (white plastic bit)

3 wires come out and should attach to the following:
Black - Ignition
Brown - Earth
blue&red - 9 pin connecter.

The 9 pin connecter is the 9 wires that normall go onto another part of the vauxhall loom. Same location as your tachometer wire and fuel pump wire. There will be a matching blue&red wire on here, attach wire it to this (not red&blue - thats fuel pump)

Hope it helps! mine is all wired in, cant really say if it works yet as i havnt driven it a great distance!

Al

#518 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

Hey Matt,

I'm afraid to say it was a case of engine out completely. My car still has the solid front end and partial inner wings but even despite that I'm pretty doubtful that the gearbox would slide enough of the way sideways because of the subframe brace bars. It took a few hours to do the conversion but it's 100% worth it :)

Hope things are good mate!

Tom

#519 The Freeb

The Freeb

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:20 AM

you no when you took your rear seat out where did you cut or did you take the whole thing off becuse im in the proses of taking mine out and ive got the cubby bins out but it loks like the seat is the part of the bottom of the car or am i wrong and the panle is over the top of another one?

#520 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:51 PM

Since owning my clubman i now have a thing for clubmans!!

I wonder how i could swing this with the wife.....

Has it got seats in the back Tom, its been a while since i saw this in the flesh

#521 crazycoleman118

crazycoleman118

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:01 PM

Just read through this whole thread to see that your selling up right at the end!

I have to say its a shame that your selling, and the effort you have put into this little beasty is just awesome, well done! given me some ideas for my mini :thumbsup:

#522 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

Just back online after moving house! It hasn't got back seats I'm afraid Miniboo, just a small shelf where I cut the majority of the seat base away. It has a fixed diagonal on the rear cage too so getting in and out would be difficult, although it is possible ;D

I really don't want to sell it and I keep doing the lottery in the hope I'll come into some money but I don't think it's going to happen. I'll get some more pictures up soon!

Edited by Purple Tom, 27 May 2010 - 04:17 PM.

#523 kappa

kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

Hi mate, i was have just been reading about ur build, nice motor.

Just a quick question, i have already got a c16se lump in my mk1 mini, but wanted to find out about ur inlet manifold? I am having trouble with mine, as mine exits on the left hand side if ur looking from sitting in the car, so space is very tight to fit a air filter, which inlet manifold are u using on ur's, as ur's exits on the right hand side, so the air filter is alot easier for you to fit.

Will it be better for me to use a f15td or f13td gearbox on mine, i am running my car on 10's, i need to change my gearbox, as its whinning badly and i am using a f13 gearbox at the moment?

sry mate, one more question?

As i have a round nose mini, i had to bend my rad round the exhaust manifold, but now having trouble of the car overheating, due to the fan being to small because of space, would you know a route around this?

Cheers mate, all ur help will be very appriciated

#524 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

No worries, my inlet manifold was professionally cut and re-welded by Rob at Allspeed to overcome the problem you describe. The servo outlet was also blanked off at the same time. As you've noticed it means a proper air filter is much easier to fit and it also makes fitting the alternator behind the engine quite a bit easier.

I run an F13WR gearbox from a Corsa 1.5 TD. It is perfect for 10's, first gear is usable and 70mph is about 3400rpm.

I'm afraid I've no idea about the overheating mate as I have no issues with that at all and loads of room around the rad for a nice big fan :D What sort of rad are you using?

#525 kappa

kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

No worries, my inlet manifold was professionally cut and re-welded by Rob at Allspeed to overcome the problem you describe. The servo outlet was also blanked off at the same time. As you've noticed it means a proper air filter is much easier to fit and it also makes fitting the alternator behind the engine quite a bit easier.

I run an F13WR gearbox from a Corsa 1.5 TD. It is perfect for 10's, first gear is usable and 70mph is about 3400rpm.
I'm afraid I've no idea about the overheating mate as I have no issues with that at all and loads of room around the rad for a nice big fan :D What sort of rad are you using?

The rad that i am using, i beleive is a astra one, which is quite long, it been bent in the middle for space issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users