• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

http://www.halfords...._38270_p2_31284

Self-employed Mechanic

High volume of local motor factor invoices from last 3 months

just take all your parts invoices from minispares etc.

Exactly .......

#17 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:00 PM

yeah its bloody brilliant! I just showed them my paycheque from work and they gave me a card. I got a 306 tdi battery for £35 instead of £69! can't go wrong with that.

#18 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:04 PM

About a letter from the boss thing, i would say im self employed but im only 17 and i dont even look 15 so i dont think i will get away with being self employed lol.

#19 COOPER1982

COOPER1982

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:31 PM

About a letter from the boss thing, i would say im self employed but im only 17 and i dont even look 15 so i dont think i will get away with being self employed lol.

You can be any old and be self employed, jusr think positive!

#20 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:35 PM

my advice is turn up to halfords in your greasy overalls and work boots...worked for me, bloke actually approached me with all the paperwork and positively begged me to sign up lol, i did say that i don't actually work in the motor trade, but did it in my spare time and he said don't worry about it mate!!!!! actually wear your greasy overalls anywhere where you buy bits....you get better service and more respect from the shop owners.

#21 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:40 PM

Yea ill wear my greasy overalls and boots and hope that it helps lol.

#22 nmt_oli

nmt_oli

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:13 PM

Grrr¬ how annoying! just a month after i bought abotu 20 of various cans to paint my golf! would have saved a fortune.

#23 edi57

edi57

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:49 PM

Got my trade card today! :unsure:

I went in there in my greasy jeans (after a morning session on the mini) and took some receipts I had. The reciepts were for things from Machine-Mart, local paint supplier and a few other places.

When they asked where I worked, I just said I was self-employed and that was the end of that!

#24 bentedder

bentedder

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:05 PM

it says on ther website that if you have a city and guilds cert you can get one too i have one of these and a btec diploma that mean i can get one then???? and just say im self employed?

#25 edi57

edi57

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:15 PM

Yeah sounds like you should be able to get one quite easily... I think anyone could get one without too much difficulty (like I did today).

As long you can kind of show that you're in the trade then they'll hand over a card.

I went along with this info from the halfords website:

"Self-employed Mechanic High volume of local motor factor invoices from last 3 months"

Halfords page here.

Had about 6 reciepts... they hardly even looked at them.

Edited by edi57, 27 April 2008 - 03:16 PM.

#26 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:22 PM

it says on ther website that if you have a city and guilds cert you can get one too i have one of these and a btec diploma that mean i can get one then???? and just say im self employed?

I got one ok with my btec diploma in motor vehicle

although if its a btec diploma in hairdressing you may have probs :)

#27 jif2006

jif2006

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:48 PM

Hey,

Some people were asking about the trade discount rates they vary from 10% to 67% you'll find the best trade prices on items like bulbs e.g. an approx £2.39 twin pack of brake/tail bulbs will cost you 39p and so on but batteries are really good so must be closer to the 67% like the bulbs in terms of discount. Ohh and break pads are really good also especially the Halfords brand lol

The not so good items are the paints, body fillers etc they usually come on and off the 10% although this mite have changes and be a permanent thing.

The items not covered by trade this is relevant to stores I have visited so Any MIG equipment inc gas rods etc and compressors sorry guys afraid so....

As far as obtaining a trade card you will need to be in the motor trade let me elaborate.....

For example if you were self employed business card or business doc's

In the army as an engineer you'll need you ID that will get you a card

Currently at college studying in the motor trade even agricultural students, so motor sport or general mechanic.

Have a city and guilds in motor vehicles.

or the best one managers discretion which means if you walk in in a nice set of overalls ask for a part from a mini such a condenser they’ll automatically assume your in the motor trade as A) Unless the staff are in the trade/student then they wont know what your on about lmao plus they don’t stock em whish will make the think lol

Hope this is of some use

Kind regards

Brad

#28 BigDave99

BigDave99

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Local Club: NA

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

I work for halfords lads - trade discount is up to 60% on parts and tools. It varies on all products but things like bulbs are pence and batteries are better than half price. To get a card you need to prove that you work in the motot trade or you need to make friends with your local halfords employee!

#29 mk=john

mk=john

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Local Club: Milton Keynes Mini Club, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:52 AM

Hi, I was lucky getting mine. I work as a CAD designer for a large essex based car manufacturer, and all I do it sit behing a tube modelling up parts, but because I had my I.D, I got thw orange Halfords card easy.

#30 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:59 AM

Just to add to this subject of rattle cans and the discount.

My local motor factor chain is currently removing all cellulose aerosols in readyness for the new water based aerosols.

The water based aerosols are not vehicle and colour code specific, you get a choice of 6 different shades of each colour.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users