277 replies to this topic

#31 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:42 AM

You're just getting confused, he has the linkage to work an A series engine in the rear of his buggy!! :proud:

#32 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

Ahhhhhhhh now i get it!

Id just like everyone to know that Im blonde

#33 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:08 PM

Ahhhhhhhh now i get it!

Id just like everyone to know that Im blonde

Me too, but Ed4ran is right the Mini gearbox is already at the back which makes this conversion so easy for me.

Alan...

Edited by Phaeton, 31 May 2007 - 02:10 PM.

#34 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:58 PM

That's damn interesting!

How far off the transfer case does the crank end flange sit?

#35 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:01 PM

Its only enough for the thickness of the crank adapter flange, so the bolts can go through.

#36 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

wow ed you really get bored with a project after completion fast dont you. really interested in this project as with all your others it looks like its guna be a cracker. did you size up any other engines per chance! im sure some would be interested in a k-series on a mini gearbox if you happen to have one laying about. probably easy enuf to modify the crank carrier if its not too wide for the mini gearbox!

#37 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:33 PM

I did consider other engines, but i dont have any available to get some measurements from, and wasnt going to buy an engine only to find it wouldnt work and then be left with an engine i couldnt use. But it wouldnt be hard to work out if i had an donor engine to take measurements etc. :techsupport:

#38 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:20 PM

Why bother the Suzi engine is a little cracker, 100bhp as standard & small, only thing is there isn't a lot of them around.

Alan...

#39 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:28 PM

1.4 K 16v is about 100hp standard isnt it?

#40 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:11 PM

sounds very similar to a story i got form a chap with a classic 1930s/40s mg roadster - he converted it to have a ford sierra 5 speed gearbox - made absolutely acres of difference...even the bolt layout was a near match.

Edited by nev_payne, 01 June 2007 - 09:11 AM.

#41 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:12 AM

Interesting idea you go tthere Ed! so are those pics you've put up just a mock up or have you done some work trying to match up bolt holes... how far off are they? Or is that flange plate you've got gonna be drilled and tapped for the block to match too?

I guess this a great idea and it could potentially offer up a very cheap and easy route into the world of 16v mini's to people, It would at least get the basic problem solved which is getting the engine in with shafdts built up and suspension sorted... I would look at strengthening the gearbox straight away regardless of how many ponies they reckon it can take. looks good!

Was this inspired by the guy that whapped on a Toyota engine on a mini box the other wekk on here?

#42 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

the flange you can see on the bottom of the block is drilled and bolted on, i just need the engine in place before i tack the flange on.
Next im making the end flanges to go between the transfer case and the engine so it doesnt really matter that the holes are off.

Part of the plan was to add some supporting pieces to the box (like under the flange where the box curves in) and possible inside as well.
This one is mainly to get the measurements and check stuff will fit first before i do some cad drawings.

Not really, i had thought of doing it before i started my conversion, after seeing SCURVY DOG with his xflow/lotus modified box,
Seeing the toyota one made me think about it again and i decided to give it a go.

#43 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:53 PM

Well i have a small update,
I have roughly made the engine/transfer case flanges and drilled some of the holes for the bolts,
and can now clamp it all up so the engine is square to the transfer case,
but it still needs a little tweaking on the position, but i cant really do this without some way of measuring, so ill may wait until i have the crank end before i fix it in place.

So monday im going to ring about getting the crank end CNC'd and also to get some HT countersunk fine thread bolts.
Which means there might not be much more i can do until i have those, unless i figure out an easy way of centering it all.

I might play on CAD some more tomorrow and see if i can get the crank adapter more complete.

Its clamped up! I think its looking more like it all goes together now, rather than just a pile of bits.
Posted Image

As good as i can probably get it by eye :D
Posted Image

#44 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:43 PM

How will the oil filtering work? will the swift engine be ok on mini oil?

#45 Phaeton

Phaeton

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:43 PM

Gobsmacked, in total awe of you, I wouldn't even try to start on something like this, keep it up.

Alan...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users