The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:02 PM

Sorry to go offtopic, but just fitted harnesses to mine.

Its a 80/81 car and never came with rear belts.

The front harnesses are bolted to the rear seat.

I have the rear seat in, but it is not accessible.

Am I breaking the law?

Jack, you're fine. Your car didn't have to have rear seat belts as OE anyway.

As for removing the rear seats, yep, that's a get out. If you have no rear seats, then why should you need rear seat belts right? I am not sure if this means that the DVLA have to be informed and you 'should' get the log book changed to 2 seats, rather than 4??? I guess technically you could do, but I'm not sure on the rules there.

#17 Jamier101

Jamier101

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:20 PM

Edited by Jamier101, 16 November 2012 - 08:52 PM.

#18 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:08 PM

Cars weren't required to list the number of seats until recently. If the V5 you have has the number of seats filled in then you can in theory alter it but if it's just blank there's no point, it will just come back blank again. I've tried.

#19 beetlejuice

beetlejuice

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:38 PM

if your keeping the rear seats in and don't want the belts, why not just tuck them underneath? i assume it's only the look your after as you stated that the rear seats were needed to "complete the car".

#20 Road Runner

Road Runner

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:08 PM

My car was registerd in march 1988 it came with lap belts, which I removed and fitted proper lap diagonals for my kids. When I rebuilt the car I removed the rear belts and fitted a harnesses, I put the back seats in just for looks as the front seats are fixed. They never even looked for the rear belt's in the MOT. I always thought if the car was fitted with rear seat belts when it was maufacture then it was a requirement for the MOT. Mind you I don't class lap belts as proper seat belts as they are usally tucked away under the seats ,I think they were just fitted buy maufacturers as a cop out rather than fit proper ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users