#1 wmager

wmager

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: East London Minis

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:08 PM

What oil should I be using for my engine? I've heard 15w/40 is the best...

Suggestions welcome!

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:19 PM

Right,

*treads carefuly*

Two faction on the oil front, the 20/50 lot and the 15/40 lot. Each will argue their benefits to the high heavens.

I like 20/50 (unipart green) as it's easy to get and I seem to loose less of it in my engine. I know Mr Guessworks is a 15/40 fan calling 20/50 treacle (that spelt right?).

Either way you want a decent MINERAL oil. No additive no friction modifiers. Just good mineral oil.

#3 Anthony

Anthony

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:38 PM

Ye I use 20/50 and have no problems with it.

Only got one oil leak left now! The pot joint seal!

#4 wmager

wmager

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: East London Minis

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:43 PM

OK - 20/50. Any particular brand that's good?

#5 mini_morley

mini_morley

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:48 PM

ive been told that 10w40 is good, though ive never used it, any one any ideas bout that? is ot ok to used? :P

Edited by mini_morley, 21 June 2007 - 06:48 PM.

#6 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:24 PM

OK - 20/50. Any particular brand that's good?

I've just invested in a tin of Duckhams Q Classic 20W/50 oil because I've heard that it will enable my Mini to travel to the sun and back before needing any attention to the engine/gearbox. Of course you have to still carry out the required service at the appropriate times (at least every 6,000 miles or 3,000 miles if the car isn't used much (or every 6 months).

#7 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:27 PM

ive been told that 10w40 is good, though ive never used it, any one any ideas bout that? is ot ok to used? :P

Not terribly good for Minis and Rover only recommended it because all the other cars in it's range were using it, but of course the Mini is equipped with an engine that was designed over 50 years ago and requires a different specification as such.

Nor were Rovers long 12,000 miles/12 month service intervals either and you'd swear they were hell bent on killing the breed and it no doubt helped towards the number of gearbox claims with the later models.

Oh and avoid synthetic oil too because that's bad news for the gearbox synchromesh.

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:23 PM

Oil is all about the API ratings these days, and if you dont select you r oil carefuly you will recuce the life of not just the gearbox but the engine too. How ever having said that, it all depends what milege the engine has already done and what condition its in as to whether the damage has already been done or not if its been run on the wrong oil.

20W50 is considered a summer oil as it very thick when cold, thats the 20W bit, its also thicker when its up to temp, thats the 50 bit. That is compared to 10W40. 10W40 is the oil I have used all the time, it causes less drag in the engine/transmission and helps reduce power losses and fuel consumption.

Going back to the APi ratings, if its anything higher ( alphabeticaly) than SF then its doing your engine/ transmission no good!!.

Funnily enough Duckhams Q is API SF rating :P

Injection engines are different, but we wont go there again

#9 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:37 PM

20W50 is considered a summer oil as it very thick when cold, thats the 20W bit, its also thicker when its up to temp, thats the 50 bit.

But the temperatures here don't get cold enough to cause problems during the winter and with global warming even less so.

#10 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:37 AM

while we are on the subject of oil........what does the switch on the far left of the switch panel do? :P :lol:

#11 il-barba

il-barba

One Carb Or Two?

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Local Club: malta mini

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:38 AM

Oil is all about the API ratings these days, and if you dont select you r oil carefuly you will recuce the life of not just the gearbox but the engine too. How ever having said that, it all depends what milege the engine has already done and what condition its in as to whether the damage has already been done or not if its been run on the wrong oil.

20W50 is considered a summer oil as it very thick when cold, thats the 20W bit, its also thicker when its up to temp, thats the 50 bit. That is compared to 10W40. 10W40 is the oil I have used all the time, it causes less drag in the engine/transmission and helps reduce power losses and fuel consumption.

Going back to the APi ratings, if its anything higher ( alphabeticaly) than SF then its doing your engine/ transmission no good!!.

Funnily enough Duckhams Q is API SF rating :P

Injection engines are different, but we wont go there again

so in hotter areas it is better to use 20W50.....is that for all cars or minis only?

#12 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:51 AM

I always get confused by the numbers. You say 20W50 is a thicker oil than 10W40, so by my assumption, the higher the number the thicker the oil? But, you then say 20W50 is thick when cold (the 20W) and even thicker when warm (50 bit), but oil gets more runny when warm (hence why you warm the engine when doing an oil change)?

#13 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:54 AM

Cod liver oil for me :P

#14 Bam

Bam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:17 AM

Halfords 20W50 oil, and it comes with a cool tin.

#15 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:40 AM

while we are on the subject of oil........what does the switch on the far left of the switch panel do? :P :lol:

Every time you press the red button, god blows up a chav nova.

Think of the novas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users