#16 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:26 PM

while we are on the subject of oil........what does the switch on the far left of the switch panel do? :P :lol:

Every time you press the red button, god blows up a chav nova.

Think of the novas.

Interesting, I thought it was the power boost valve/electric supercharger engager. No wonder it didnt do anything :dozing:

#17 wmager

wmager

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: East London Minis

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

Halfords 20W50 oil, and it comes with a cool tin.

That's the one I've just bought. Nice.

Will let you know if I notice any change in performance, or the head gasket goes blooey... again :P

#18 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:14 PM

Halfords 20W50 oil, and it comes with a cool tin.

That's the one I've just bought. Nice.

Will let you know if I notice any change in performance, or the head gasket goes blooey... again :lol:

The Halfords stuff is Comma Oil and I've heard good things said about it too.

Oh and I always thought that button would send me into a parallel dimension because it reversed the polarity of the neutron flow.

Just goes to show how wrong you can be! :P

#19 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:06 PM

20W50 is considered a summer oil as it very thick when cold, thats the 20W bit, its also thicker when its up to temp, thats the 50 bit. That is compared to 10W40. 10W40 is the oil I have used all the time, it causes less drag in the engine/transmission and helps reduce power losses and fuel consumption.

I always get confused by the numbers. You say 20W50 is a thicker oil than 10W40, so by my assumption, the higher the number the thicker the oil? But, you then say 20W50 is thick when cold (the 20W) and even thicker when warm (50 bit), but oil gets more runny when warm (hence why you warm the engine when doing an oil change)?

Jammy, you always find a way to twist around evry ones words and see through the real meaning :P

What I meant was, that when the oil is hot, the 50 is thicker than the 40. Not that its thicker than 20W grade of the oil. The winter grade is better described as cold start. So in winter when the temperature outside is -10c the 20W is thicker than the 10W at -10c, and not protecting your engine gearbox as well as the 10W. The 20W doesnt flow to the critical parts quickly.

An ideal world would have an oil that is the same viscosity whatever the temperature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users