#1 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:32 PM

I fitted an old inertia starter due to fitting a front mount rad, so bought the lightweight flywheel with the apropriate ring gear. Thing is, the bendix gear jams in the engaged position every so often requiring the removal of the starter and hitting the benbix with a hammer to free it up. I used a little light oil to ensure the bendix is free to return to its dissengaged position, once its been freed up it does move freely.

what is wrong, why is it doing it and what can I do to rectify it.

LOL, i think the starter is older than me.

Thanks

Sprox ;D

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:49 PM

can't comment on the problem, but that starter must be pretty old ;D

the only thing I can suggest is changing the starter for another.. or atleast replacing the bendix ?

#3 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:32 AM

ignorance here maybe; but why do you need to change to that type with a front mount rad?

#4 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:46 AM

because it doesn't have a solenoid hanging off the front of it.

I'm sure i heard somewhere that you're not supposed to lube the bendix, i'd have thought if it was oiled the dust from the clutch would stick to it and jam it up. might be worth trying some graphite powder instead? or just swap it if its older than gods dog ;D

Edited by bud666, 05 July 2007 - 06:46 AM.

#5 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:58 AM

dont you just hate it when you get a bendy bendix ;D

#6 ian

ian

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:04 AM

as bud says, you shouldnt ever use oil on it as it will get covered in C**p and stick, id try cleaning it with petrol, make sure its spotless and dry and try that first before getting another starter.

its something i always remember my old man telling me years ago, strange the things that stick in your mind.

#7 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

Bud and Ian are correct. You do not put oil or lube on a Bendix unit.

Thoroughly clean the Bendix you have. I use acetone or lacquer thinner, you want something that evaporates quickly and does a good job of removing all oil and grease without leaving residue. If you have an air compressor, blow it dry when you're done.

Now I know I just said don't lube a Bendix. However, there are two schools of thought about this. The first is to run the Bendix bone dry. I prefer a second method that used to be in vogue. Spray the splines of the Bendix with with dry powdered graphite or moly powder. It won't attract the grime that binds the Bendix up and it can help a sticking Bendix retract.

#8 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:01 PM

Ask one of the Mini Docs... they're bound to know!!!!! ;D

#9 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:23 PM

Ask one of the Mini Docs... they're bound to know!!!!! ;D

Thanks?

#10 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:48 PM

Ok fair enough about the oil, I read the Haynes manual and it does tell you this.

However, what you have to consider is that the oil is fresh, its light oil, its a brand new clutch and the flywheel housing is spotless, inside and out, there is no C**p or dust at this point in time. So, why is my bendix jamming requiring a BFH to free it off. My point being if there was no oil it would still jam solid.

I think im going to get a replacement on Saturday, thanks for the help ;D

#11 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:13 PM

perhaps theres a bur on the shaft causing it to stick, or if it locks back on to splines they could be slightly wrong size (too shallow) causing it to catch
does some times happen at work, different starters tho

#12 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:15 PM

There are lots of mechanical problems like the burr mentioned above that could cause the binding problem. Look for a bent armature shaft, galled helix threads, weak or broken Bendix spring, damaged teeth on the Bendix AND/OR on the flywheel ring gear. It could be any of those or a combination of those.

There are also several similar looking but different inertia starters. The A-H Sprite/MG-Midget have very similar but different inertia starters. I can't tell you how to distinguish one from the other but I know they use a different part number and you aren't supposed to use them interchangeably. Is there any chance you have a non-Mini starter?

#13 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

surely the solenoid is on top of the starter so it should still fit with a front mount rad? sorry for going O/T

#14 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

surely the solenoid is on top of the starter so it should still fit with a front mount rad? sorry for going O/T

Oh my... I believe I missed the truly fundamental aspect of this. Was this originally an A+ motor with the pre-engaged starter and now your fitting the inertia type? You are now out of my league. I believe the ring gear tooth count is different on A+ and you could have a situation where the components simply cannot work together.

Were I you, I'd start a new thread and ask: "Can you use an inertia starter on an engine with a pre-engaged ring gear?"

It appears you're working with something too new for me to be of any help. Sorry if my comments mislead you.

#15 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:20 PM

I fitted an old inertia starter due to fitting a front mount rad, so bought the lightweight flywheel with the apropriate ring gear.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users