#1 ImagoX

ImagoX

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Local Club: MidOhioMotoring.com

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

I'm planning on making a pair of these for my '92 Mini Sprite - they accommodate up to a 6.5" speaker and they give you back the door pocket that went away when Mini added roll-down windows:

Posted Image

Here's the rub: there's never been a stereo in the car, hence there's no wiring pass-through that I can use for the wires. Hrm.... :)

I'd much prefer to have the speakers in these little door-mount pods as opposed to the typical under-dash mounted pods, but I'm not sure how to get the wiring into the door. Seems like a pretty snug fit when closed... Anyone have any installation wisdom they can share with me?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:05 PM

just drill holes somewhere near the courtesy light switches. If you don't want to do that you could probably route the cables directly into the door pods with some flexible trunking. Is tyhere enough room between the doors and front seats?

#3 ImagoX

ImagoX

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

just drill holes somewhere near the courtesy light switches. If you don't want to do that you could probably route the cables directly into the door pods with some flexible trunking. Is tyhere enough room between the doors and front seats?

Since these are only 2" deep, there should be, but I'm making a set of cardboard mock-ups first, just to be sure. I was thinking abuot using the area near the courtesty light switch, but I wasn't sure where whatever I use for sheathing (probably braided nylon material for strength) would go with the doors closed... it looks like a fairly tight space. Maybe use a 1/2" or so rubber gromit that's larger than the sheathed wires, then hope that the extra will slide into the opening without getting kinked? Seems imprecise - there must be a trick to it...

Maybe someone with speakers in their doors can take a picture of how the installer ran the wires to the doors please?

I might just make simple pockets with NO speaker pods and go this way instead for my ICE - having the speakers in the dash area would simplify things a great deal:

http://www.minifinit...nt_speaker_pods

Edited by ImagoX, 06 July 2007 - 04:14 PM.

#4 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor rock ya mini & WSMOC

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:31 PM

il try and take some pics of how i done mine, i used flexible thingys from a metro tailgte, there is one each side.

#5 binge

binge

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:36 AM

Edited by binge, 10 April 2024 - 07:18 AM.

#6 ImagoX

ImagoX

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:42 PM

I had speakers in my doors when I first put ICE into my Purple Mini.
I basically took the door off, Drilled a 8mm hole in the A post near the bottom hinge, And a corresponding hole in the side of the door.
Lined both holes with Grommets and fed my wiring through.

Just make sure you leave enough slack so the door can open fully without the wire being stretched.

Closing the door didn't mash the wires, then? Looking at my 2006 MINI, I see that the engineers left a little dead space where the door meets the body, to accommodate the wiring loom (and it's rubber covering), but on my classic the front edge of the door looks to meet up flush with the body. I was worried that the wires would chaff or even split with the door closed...

If someone has a picture of your setup that would be great, thanks!

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

If you use reasonably sturdy sheathed cable (Domestic Flex?) and a tight fit into the post but loose fit into the door it should slide into the door as you close it.

#8 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

If you use reasonably sturdy sheathed cable (Domestic Flex?)

No u dont want to be doing that. :thumbsup:

Edited by screech, 11 July 2007 - 06:10 PM.

#9 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:58 PM

Posted Image

Edited by screech, 11 July 2007 - 06:08 PM.

#10 ImagoX

ImagoX

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:10 PM

That's awesome - where did you get the ribbed rubber sheathing material? Looks very professional- congrats!

#11 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:09 PM

That's awesome - where did you get the ribbed rubber sheathing material? Looks very professional- congrats!

metro tailgates have those rubber sheaths

#12 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:00 PM

they are from a metro, they have 2 on the tailgate.

#13 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:12 PM

What's up with mains cable - suppose it has to oxygen free copper with the right radio isotopes, only available from one Bolivian mine, with 24ct gold connectors crimped on with Yaks teeth pliers or your speakers won't sound right?

#14 BLACK LE

BLACK LE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Local Club: oldham and district mini club

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:32 PM

What's up with mains cable - suppose it has to oxygen free copper with the right radio isotopes, only available from one Bolivian mine, with 24ct gold connectors crimped on with Yaks teeth pliers or your speakers won't sound right?

No mains wire will not do because the cable has to be flexible, domestic wiring cable is made up of a few cores of large cross section wire, can't remember the exact wire guage, speaker wire expecially for this aplication should be many cores of very small guage wire to give the flexibilty, I suppose the better the copper the lower the resistance which may help a little.

#15 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,420 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:39 PM

As far as domestic wiring does cable is the solid stuff

the bendy stuff you can use with a plug is flex

But I was only taking the pee out of the efforts some people go to to achieve "Hifi" sound when there's a bloody great noisy engine a few feet from the speakers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users