#481 Basky

Basky

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:18 PM

:D .

I’ve decided that I’m going to do an r1 conversion.

However I’m going to do it myself and not use a pro motive kit, not because i think it will be cheaper but because its an engineering exercise.

I’m still in the designing and cad stage.

What I’ve thought about at the moment?

Shaft and bearing block for shaft to clear the crank housing.
System for reversing the rotation so it can be used with a mini diff (Simple two gear design)
Crown wheel replacement for sprocket
Sealed diff housing
bearing block for diff either side.

I’m still thinking about the best way for oiling the chain and tensioning it, I’ve been looking at the scott Oiler for keeping the chain lubricated.

Distances from each other and frame work are a bit tricky at the moment as I don’t have an R1 (5jj) engine to hand yet

Coolio well start you own page & keep us all informed with loads of sexy picys :) good on ya!!

#482 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:32 PM

Only in the design process currently.

ive got one mini to finish then i can save up and buy a lathe.

#483 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

good luck with that FG. :thumbsup:

well - had a great couple of days tear-arsing around - and its not broke!!!
all sems good, getting a minor knocking noise when you take your foot of the gas, that dissappears when you dip the clutch. Alex had a good look and thinks it may be the idler gear needs re-shimming or similar to get it to sit centre chain again, and maybe we damaged the chain when it all seized up - but basky is making some headway into alternative chains so i am well keen to see progress there.

I may start a new thread and see if the mods will sticky it - R1 conversions ( general questions ) type thing, so we can get all the loose banter into one thread and make it easier to find - what do you reckon? or maybe even a dedictaed generalised pro-motive thread. There is plenty of us with the kits now and several new owners lining up. we must be getting very similar to the Z-cars owners numbers??

:-

#484 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:58 PM

Yes sorry roofless i just kind of spammed your thread!, sounds like a good idea.

im getting even more tierd of the a-series now, blew a coolent hose today! i was not best pleased!

Edited by flyingears2002, 26 October 2008 - 10:58 PM.

#485 wolfys_mini

wolfys_mini

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,493 posts
  • Local Club: many!

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:15 PM

from the resto show...

Attached Files

#486 Basky

Basky

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:27 PM

good luck with that FG. :-

well - had a great couple of days tear-arsing around - and its not broke!!!
all sems good, getting a minor knocking noise when you take your foot of the gas, that dissappears when you dip the clutch. Alex had a good look and thinks it may be the idler gear needs re-shimming or similar to get it to sit centre chain again, and maybe we damaged the chain when it all seized up - but basky is making some headway into alternative chains so i am well keen to see progress there.

I may start a new thread and see if the mods will sticky it - R1 conversions ( general questions ) type thing, so we can get all the loose banter into one thread and make it easier to find - what do you reckon? or maybe even a dedictaed generalised pro-motive thread. There is plenty of us with the kits now and several new owners lining up. we must be getting very similar to the Z-cars owners numbers??

:dontgetit:

Headway :thumbsup: messing around more like. new chain different position take it for a spin come bk change it around again. take a link out try again. Trying a 530 D.I.D chain with smaller ratio sprockets etc! all fun

Yeah sounds brill martin! i think its about time we had are own (general thread thingamy) :angel:

#487 Basky

Basky

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:30 PM

from the resto show...

LOOKING GOOOOOD!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

#488 wolfys_mini

wolfys_mini

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,493 posts
  • Local Club: many!

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:34 PM

was a bit shiny!

#489 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:02 AM

nice one dan :- I really do need to do something about getting rid of that mop-handle :thumbsup:

#490 fwdr1mini

fwdr1mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:54 AM

basky- give me a ring, ive already done all that messing around a long time ago, i could save you alot of time and money.

as recommended a scott oiler would be your first port of call, still sounds to me like your chain is getting to hot?

cheers darren

p.s heard you were at malvern but couldnt find you, did you leave early?

#491 alexcrosse

alexcrosse

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:33 PM

you need to nick some piston things off the boot of a car or something so it you dont need anything to hold it up. Shouldnt be hard.

Daz: Should have said hello at Malvern you nob! I was there with my car, looked a bit of a state but still got lots of interest in the install. Matt couldnt make it because (long story short) hes a poof

Edited by alexcrosse, 27 October 2008 - 12:34 PM.

#492 Basky

Basky

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:52 PM

basky- give me a ring, ive already done all that messing around a long time ago, i could save you alot of time and money.

as recommended a scott oiler would be your first port of call, still sounds to me like your chain is getting to hot?

cheers darren

p.s heard you were at malvern but couldnt find you, did you leave early?

AUP daz!

U sure you no who it is hehehe! I did ring you n you said ahhh give it a go lol

Scottoiler is in my hand as im typin :thumbsup:

Well i was suposed to of been at malvern but i had troubles plus it was throwing it dwn & by the time i had it redy & it was sunny it wasnt worth coming dwn anywho best not spam up martins page!

All the best

#493 Basky

Basky

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:55 PM

you need to nick some piston things off the boot of a car or something so it you dont need anything to hold it up. Shouldnt be hard.

Daz: Should have said hello at Malvern you nob! I was there with my car, looked a bit of a state but still got lots of interest in the install. Matt couldnt make it because (long story short) hes a poof

PUFF says you who hits the only tree in the middle of the field n breaks his hand LOL

cnt say what went wrong on here to confidential (going back wards confidential) :thumbsup:

#494 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:02 PM

nice one dan :( I really do need to do something about getting rid of that mop-handle >_<

Would you like a stainless prop?

Ask me nicely!!

#495 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

please O great god of all that is Riley, whilst thou bestowe upon me, the greatness of proppage-de-shiny?

you humblest servant and greatest admirer

martin.

>_< :( :ermm: :ermm: :ermm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users