120 replies to this topic

#91 brightsparkz

brightsparkz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:41 PM

Some pics, Have chopped the front off now. The front was a bit rusty on the drivers side so patched some sections up.

Posted Image

Took off the shock bracket and found rust!
Posted Image

Mostly repaired, just need to tidy a few bits up.
Posted Image

New Rear Coilovers
Posted Image

Edited by brightsparkz, 19 November 2007 - 10:44 PM.

#92 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:57 AM

i like your ideas, been wanting to make my own electric mini for a while now but i dont like the idea of lots of batterys weighing things down, also i wanted to make my own motor, a brushless repulsion motor run pulse discharge from 5000v microwave oven capacitor banks charged by an inverter. tho this is very dangerous as 1 jolt and you could lose a finger or even your life. tho doing it this way makes things alot easier on the control electronics side as you dont have to handle such high currents. high voltages are easyer to control just harder to keep in the wire lol

1 thing i sugest you look into, tho this is very complicated and makes some people go "thats imposible it violated the third law of thermodynamics" or "your insane" is charge recycling, it is possible to power inductive loads and charge batterys at the same time by the use of clever switching it will not run forever but the efficiency of the system will increase quite alot. its something to think about for the future, its wise to start with a small model and make that work and understand it before atempting to build one into you current system (no pun intended)
il give you more details so you can have a play with the circuit and see for you self if it works

I don't want to sound like I'm putting you down, or anything..........BUT it does sound like you've been reading a little TOO much on some of the "free energy" and "suppressed technology" websites. :P

The motor you describe, sounds like the E.V Gray motor - I did some research on this and other devices, and I came to this conclusion: They don't work! The vast majority are frauds, the rest are just incorrectly measured devices that are no more efficient than any standard motor - if they even work at all. I can make a high voltage motor from a plastic bottle and some tin foil, that will run directly from the static electricity from your TV screen (or a baloon rubbed on your jumper) - it won't be used to power a car any time soon though! :P

The "charge recycling" you mention, sounds like the work of that american guy who dresses like a cow-boy (his name escapes me at the moment), who has been touting this device for some time (a motor, bulb, a battery and some odd bits of wire that poke out from a paper mache / tin foil dome - alleged to "hide" the workings until patented...). The guy in question is the biggest crook I have ever seen in my life, and I remember a public demonstration he gave in front of the media a few years ago.......which resulted in him attacking and physically throwing a member of the public audience out of the room, who dared to ask "how do we know it's real, if we can't see the device?". Charming guy! ^_^

His "technology" is a load of B.S, just as he is. Seriously, even the other free energy nutters dislike him, and call him a crook! And THAT'S saying something!
He also has a string of criminal convictions, including deception and assault. Draw your own conclusion about his scientific skills.

Seriously, if ANY of this stuff actually worked as claimed - we would be using it. Yes some technology DOES get suppressed (government, big companies etc.), but in all honesty, do you really think that if somebody could make these devices work, they wouldn't start their own company and sell them directly to the public?

I see companies......but no products.

SS

#93 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:03 AM

The "charge recycling" you mention, sounds like the work of that american guy who dresses like a cow-boy (his name escapes me at the moment), who has been touting this device for some time (a motor, bulb, a battery and some odd bits of wire that poke out from a paper mache / tin foil dome - alleged to "hide" the workings until patented...). The guy in question is the biggest crook I have ever seen in my life, and I remember a public demonstration he gave in front of the media a few years ago.......which resulted in him attacking and physically throwing a member of the public audience out of the room, who dared to ask "how do we know it's real, if we can't see the device?". Charming guy! :P

charlie Brown ?

Posted Image

#94 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:53 AM

charlie Brown ?

Posted Image

Uhmmm, that does look a bit like a "men only" sort of shop.......men with handlebar mustaches!

Ahhh, I see he prefers his chaps in leather..... :P :P

I'll get my coat......TAXI!!

SS

#95 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 03:35 PM

id have to agree with you there, most of the free energy devices are frauds, the ev motor was a brilliant design highly efficient because it ran at such high voltages and also ran cold becuse it had a double wound coil one to power it one to allow the built up magnetic flux(emf) to be converted back into electricity, so was not converted into heat like in a noraml motor, thus higher efficiency, i knew this would get people to go mental, why dont u try some experiments before you come to conclusions. i know half of you wont know what im talking about, i suggest you start with the work of nikola tesla.
capacitors and inductors work well together , they alow the energy to be stored in different forms, you know how a radio reciver or transmitter works, well if u excite a coil and capacitor in parrallel they continue to resonate after the power has been taken away, unlike a coil directly conected to a battery which will only turn off then on with the emf wasted as heat, with no path to go.
the ideas are not silly they are simple fundemental science you can look at charlie browns tin foil work all you want its C**p. dont compare one thing to another im not talking about an electrostatic motor, there are serious companies researching this and twice as many companies selling BS that doesnt work.

#96 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:36 AM

id have to agree with you there, most of the free energy devices are frauds, the ev motor was a brilliant design highly efficient because it ran at such high voltages and also ran cold becuse it had a double wound coil one to power it one to allow the built up magnetic flux(emf) to be converted back into electricity, so was not converted into heat like in a noraml motor, thus higher efficiency, i knew this would get people to go mental, why dont u try some experiments before you come to conclusions. i know half of you wont know what im talking about, i suggest you start with the work of nikola tesla.

Oh but I DO know what I'm talking about!.......And you'll find that I am VERY aware of Tesla's work. I built my own hand wound Tesla coil while I was still at school, I've built a high voltage, high frequency power supply based on a Tesla coil (actually for research into claims about the devices used onboard the USS Eldridge - Google the ship if you don't know it's claim to fame) and I've been working and experimenting for some time, with devices called "lifters" AKA Ionocraft - which are a form of EHD thruster, and run at around 80 - 120kilovolts. These devices were based on the claims of the "Bifield-Brown effect" which reportedly showed anti-gravity effects (electrogravitics), and this has since been disproved numerous times - and was even tested on the Discovery channel show "Myth-busters", which showed ZERO alteration of gravity while tested in a vacuum chamber.
So I'm very aware of "alternative" forms of technology.

The *original* E.V Gray motors have been found, they have been stripped and at least one fully working motor has been assembled, including a rebuilt power supply, and have been shown publicly (videos available on the internet) about 7 years ago......and the company formed to develop the motor - well, they still have not sold any working products, despite claiming to be only "two years" from a comercial product. A number of other people and companies have, or at least claim to, have built their own "modified" versions of the Gray motor, and non of them are selling or even demonstrating a working motor. Also no data has been released publicly from any of the claimed "indipendant" testing that has been performed. Smells like vaporware to me!

The Motor developed by Ed Gray is based on Tesla's "Radiant Energy System", and is claimed to show over-unity, and NOT a super efficient motor as you seem to think. Over-unity means that it delivers MORE power than it consumes - AKA a Perpetual motion device. Though oddly for something that is claimed to show over-unity, the device stops working once the battery runs down, and NO self-running has ever been demonstrated. Doesn't sound like over-unity to me! Even *IF* the electrical losses were accounted for, there would STILL be mechanical losses due to friction - therefore even 100% efficiency cannot occour. Existing standard production motors are allready running as high as 95% efficient, the remaining 5% loss is due to thermal and mechanical losses.
Without seriously defying the established laws of physics, you CANNOT go over-unity. Unless you are trapped in a singularity (a black hole) where the extreme compression of space-time contorts reality to such an extent that the standard model of the universe no longer applies.......then there is no such thing as a free lunch!

capacitors and inductors work well together , they alow the energy to be stored in different forms, you know how a radio reciver or transmitter works, well if u excite a coil and capacitor in parrallel they continue to resonate after the power has been taken away, unlike a coil directly conected to a battery which will only turn off then on with the emf wasted as heat, with no path to go.
the ideas are not silly they are simple fundemental science you can look at charlie browns tin foil work all you want its C**p. dont compare one thing to another im not talking about an electrostatic motor, there are serious companies researching this and twice as many companies selling BS that doesnt work.

Resonance is a common electronic phenomena used in everything from household radios, computers, electric tooth brushes, to the HT ignition coil used in your car. There is nothing magical about this, and this also stays well within the bounds of the laws of physics. The Tesola coil is dependant on resonance to generate the high voltage in the secondary winding. Your TV uses resonance to produce the picture and sound from a single RF signal, by applying an Intermediate Frequency (I.F) to the signal, to produce a new harmonic frequency (superheterodyning). There is nothing new or not understood about this concept.

The idea of over-unity IS silly - a device CANNOT produce more power than it consumes, at least not in *THIS* dimension of the universe! Simple fundemental science, as you put it, also proves this cannot happen.

by the way Charlie Brown is a moderator on TMF, the above photo was a joke by Bungle, it is not the guy I was talking about.

As for these so called "serious" companies.......many have come and gone, NONE have *EVER* produced a working commercial product - despite litterally Millions of dollars / pounds, etc, being spent on development of these devices. Says it all really.
Do you really think that if somebody could actually make a working device, that we would not be hearing about this all over the news, and thousands of scientists clamering to test this device?? I'm quite sure that a large number of governments around the world would be drooling at the thought of abundant free energy. Simple fact is, they HAVE tested devices, they HAVE researched and FUNDED research into these devices........and NOTHING came of any of it.

OK, this thread has now gone WAY off topic, so I suggest the any further discussions be kept to PMs, and If a moderator could please move the last few post to more suitable section of the fourm. Thanx.

SS

#97 brightsparkz

brightsparkz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:06 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have totally stripped the car now, primered the front, and right side and repaired all the holes. Its on its side now getting its bottom hammerited!

Hope to have it on its wheels with all the transmission by christmas!

#98 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:43 AM

your doing well so far brightsparkz!!

#99 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:19 AM

Looking forward to seeing this car completed at each stage, good work! :D

How long before you borrow a couple of golf cart batteries and hook them directly to the motor for some low speed 36V fun in a carpark though, eh? :)

You know you will, all in the name of "testing" of course. :teehee:

SS

#100 brightsparkz

brightsparkz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:34 PM

Looking forward to seeing this car completed at each stage, good work! :D

How long before you borrow a couple of golf cart batteries and hook them directly to the motor for some low speed 36V fun in a carpark though, eh? :)

You know you will, all in the name of "testing" of course. :teehee:

SS

Hey,

I would love to but the problem is ... how would i get it to the car park at the moment? haha, i dont have the controller yet, due to be delivered march. I recon i could have a rolling car with motor transmission by christmas. I guess i can make the battery boxes and all the wiring done by then aswell.

Its moving along nicely ^_^

#101 Dan1991

Dan1991

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:20 PM

Really interesting read.

Hope it gets done with as few a problems as possible.

#102 The Doctor

The Doctor

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:34 PM

Posted Image

I hope all is well with your project here a photo of an electric Mini from Sydney Australia made in the 70s and one being made now!

Posted Image

The Doctor

#103 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:37 PM

Any news on your project brightsparkz? I just stumbled across this thread and was dead excited as I'm planning something similar. It's good to see so many knowledgeable replies. Have you got your Zilla controller yet?

I'm still at the planning stage myself. I've got a Domino (fibreglass-bodied) mini and recently picked up a couple of 7.5 inch series wound motors off eBay nice and cheap. The motors each weigh 40 kg and should be good for 30 kW (about 40 hp) each, possibly more with forced air cooling. Trying to make up my mind right now whether to use a single motor and gearbox for a lightweight solution, or use both motors coupled side by side driving a chain drive diff. At the moment I'm leaning towards the single motor alternative, and that's where I'd really appreciate some advice. The motor is about 14 inches long and 7.5 inches in diameter, with a faceplate measuring around 9.5 inches in diameter. Can anyone suggest a lightweight gearbox that I could mate this with that will fit fairly easily in the front of a mini? I really only need two widely spaced gears because of the wide torque band of the motor. I've seen conversions that use the original mini gearbox, but that looks a bit awkward and heavy. I'm looking for a simple, lightweight solution that uses as many standard components as possible (not asking for much, I know...) :shy:

#104 The Doctor

The Doctor

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:06 AM

the mini projects shown in the photos, the latest one is by a man in country New South Wales. He is using a warp nine motor and a zilla control system this project is almost finished but for the battery system.
Your idea of using two motors running on a chain system may be a poor way of running a transmission system, chains have always been a less than perfect way of transmitting power in a car. But it won't be the first time that a chain system has been used.
To see more information on the electric mini in Australia you can go to Ausmini.com.au and under the title (sneak peak of my electric mini)

the doctor

#105 Pitcrew6464

Pitcrew6464

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Local Club: mini 7 racing club

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:13 AM

hows the project going?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users