120 replies to this topic

#106 Thomas

Thomas

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

You may wish to ask your self how much torque your motor is producing? You may only have 100bhp but I suspect you will be talking 200/400 lbft of torque. This will make your drive train look like spaghetti. In Australia my farther had a problem way back when with some Toyotas that had electric motors fitted and were eating half shafts and destroying diffs that were intended for V8s.

Edited by Thomas, 21 December 2008 - 11:16 PM.

#107 buddylove

buddylove

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Local Club: SAMOA

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:53 AM

hmmm a year since the last reply... I take it this was never completed?

#108 brightsparkz

brightsparkz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

Attached File  CIMG0680.JPG   683.74K   36 downloadsAttached File  CIMG0681.JPG   537.68K   31 downloadsAttached File  CIMG0686.JPG   540.71K   28 downloadsCIMG0686.JPG]

Some progress! I will triangulate the swing arm.

#109 bigmotherwhale

bigmotherwhale

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

finaly work being done, looking good >_<

#110 Leroy Boyce

Leroy Boyce

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

Fascinating thread. I've been researching something similar for quite a while now. I'm driving an auto, and figured I'd convert to electric if the gearbox packs in.

Might I make a little suggestion, that I've seen done in other EVs:

A great big, red "OFF" button. Just for emergencies, and cuts all the electrical supply, should the worst happen...

#111 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:12 PM

A big red OFF button might look good, but probably wouldn't be the best way of cutting power in an emergency. You really want something that you can activate without thinking in the heat of the moment. Having a high-voltage disconnect in the cab would also mean bringing in high-voltage cables – a bit like running your petrol line through the cab. Since the clutch pedal will be surplus to requirements it could be left in place and used to activate a microswitch when fully depressed, shutting off the controller. Alternatively the clutch could be connected by a mechanical linkage or cable to a high-voltage breaker in the engine bay.

What would look really good would be a pair of short lengths of thick copper braid hanging from the front valance, just like a Scalextric car...

Edited by MalcolmB, 08 October 2009 - 07:13 PM.

#112 danrock101

danrock101

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

A big red OFF button might look good, but probably wouldn't be the best way of cutting power in an emergency. You really want something that you can activate without thinking in the heat of the moment. Having a high-voltage disconnect in the cab would also mean bringing in high-voltage cables – a bit like running your petrol line through the cab. Since the clutch pedal will be surplus to requirements it could be left in place and used to activate a microswitch when fully depressed, shutting off the controller. Alternatively the clutch could be connected by a mechanical linkage or cable to a high-voltage breaker in the engine bay.

What would look really good would be a pair of short lengths of thick copper braid hanging from the front valance, just like a Scalextric car...

it would be a relay though, right?

#113 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

it would be a relay though, right?

Yes it could be – I assumed Leroy was talking about an Albright-type disconnect, like this: http://www.thetoolbo...125a-5260-p.asp

Edited by MalcolmB, 08 October 2009 - 07:55 PM.

#114 Leroy Boyce

Leroy Boyce

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

Well, I wasn't actually suggesting any particular method, just a sort of "eject button" that can be easily smacked should the worst happen...

Edited by Leroy Boyce, 09 October 2009 - 08:52 PM.

#115 MalcolmB

MalcolmB

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:05 AM

Well, I wasn't actually suggesting any particular method, just a sort of "eject button" that can be easily smacked should the worst happen...

Sorry, I shouldn't make assumptions. You're right to point out the need for an emergency disconnect. I've thought about this a bit myself as I'm planning a similar conversion when I can afford the batteries or convince Newcastle city council to run busbars down the middle of the road. There is a possible failure mode with DC motor controllers where the controller can fail open, allowing the battery pack to supply full power to the motor, so you do need some way of interrupting the high-voltage circuit. This should ideally be done with a heavy-duty relay (contactor).

Any more progress with this build? I'm dying to see more.

#116 Alex_grease_monkey

Alex_grease_monkey

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:26 PM

looks awesome build!

#117 The Colonel

The Colonel

Previously known as Jackhammer

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: setting up my own one

Posted 26 November 2009 - 10:14 PM

mate this sounds interesting if you can get hold of Li ion batts you shoudl get a massive range, you could possibly get them out of a prius or a honda hybrid and try get a motor out of it aswell might give a headstart!!

#118 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:42 AM

mate this sounds interesting if you can get hold of Li ion batts you shoudl get a massive range, you could possibly get them out of a prius or a honda hybrid and try get a motor out of it aswell might give a headstart!!

Don't like to pick fault but a prius uses NiMHs not Li-Pos. That's why they are heavy and not that fuel economic.

#119 Pitcrew6464

Pitcrew6464

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • Local Club: mini 7 racing club

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hay brightsparks hows the project coming on??

#120 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:24 PM

any progress on this? seems like a brilliant idea if u can pull it off!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users