#1 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:38 AM

Hi All, Just thought i would share with you all my project.
Ive gone for the zcars race spec vtec option with the Type-r k20a engine.
i went for the race spec kit for the big brakes, LSD and extra safety features, not to race.

There at first glance doesn't seem to be many people with this setup on here so i hope i can help people out with what i have found when fitting the kit and the differences from the Zcars builder DVD.

I dropped my donor civic engine off with zcars and they fitted it to my frame along with the LSD and Sump (part of the kit).

I started with cutting the shell as per the directions on the DVD. Then i have cut 3x4 inch holes in the firewall directly behind the front subframe mounts.
I have also had to cut the tunnel to accommodate the extra strengthening bar and the lower dash rail is removed.
The rear valence was removed. (i didnt know about the last three until the frame was half in and i had to cut around them. nightmare!)

Attached File  DSC00024.JPG   648.02K   93 downloads

One of the first things i bought for this kit was a fuel pump. i got a walbro 255 from www.flat4online.co.uk for about £100.

i managed to get the two halves together with the help of some mates and the angle grinder to hand for the extra bits cutting off.
Bolting up the front frame was done as expected like the dvd as was rear to the shell.
Attached File  DSCF2475.JPG   1.44MB   239 downloads
After the instructions on the dvd became irrelevant i had to just suck it and see with the rest of the build.

After installing the fuel lines and water pipes i was able to attempt the wiring loom install.
I bought the wiring loom and power-up kit from zcars and spend a good 6 hours trying to mate them to the connectors on the lights and dash switches etc.
I have yet to mount the battery as i dont own one small enough to fit under the radiator. I managed to start my engine which was a relief as it was bought from a scrap yard.

I am building the car up so that i cut / drill the shell as much as i needed, so i will take it all out and it will be as final as possible before spraying.

The car now has a mounted seat and is just waiting for 4 wheel alignment (booked in with zcars in a week or so) so that the wings can be cut further to fitting the new carbon arches.
Attached File  DSC00014.JPG   451.47K   165 downloads

I have still loads to do, and so much to remove for re-fitting after the spray job....

now what colour to choose.......

Al

Attached Files

Edited by al_reidy, 17 January 2009 - 07:11 PM.

#2 HILTY

HILTY

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:45 AM

Keep the pics coming !

Hilty

#3 Renessy

Renessy

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Local Club: minisevenclub Holland

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:08 PM

OMG!!!!!!! ;) ;) :cry:

#4 Palm Bay

Palm Bay

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:56 PM

Very Nice! ;) ;)

#5 tommycrf450

tommycrf450

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

Hi there, It is interesting to read your threads as i too have just bought a race spec kit although mine is a hayabusa one. You seem to have discovered all the extra body work required like me, i.e. cutting out dash crossmember, front floor for bracing etc. I'll post my project soon but i am far behind you as i'm still waiting for my shell to come back from the welders at the mo. Please keep updating on yours as it'll be real helpful to me. I'm gonna race mine next year; you should too!

Thanks

Tommy

#6 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

Hi there, It is interesting to read your threads as i too have just bought a race spec kit although mine is a hayabusa one. You seem to have discovered all the extra body work required like me, i.e. cutting out dash crossmember, front floor for bracing etc. I'll post my project soon but i am far behind you as i'm still waiting for my shell to come back from the welders at the mo. Please keep updating on yours as it'll be real helpful to me. I'm gonna race mine next year; you should too!

Thanks

Tommy

Thanks. i will try and keep it upto date, it will be slower progress as my funds are drying up.
All that money to risk crashing it... im not so sure on the racing. track days will suffice for the moment. ive yet to even drive a rear wheel drive car!
rather a steep learning curve i might find...

Al

#7 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

does that fllor bar not get in the way of the pedals or is it just the angle of the pic?

#8 tommycrf450

tommycrf450

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:00 PM

It is a hell of a lot of money i agree. I'm definitely up for track days too. Let me know when you do one. I have just posted my project.

#9 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:52 PM

does that fllor bar not get in the way of the pedals or is it just the angle of the pic?

Not really, but i cant quite tell yet as the pedals are not yet hooked up to anything.
it seems to just be a foot rest if anything.

#10 stevesmini

stevesmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

Thats gowgouse

#11 Robnut

Robnut

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:27 AM

looking good.

Quick question, Because of the front floor bar were have you run the water pipes as the exhaust tunnel will be blocked off. Any pictures would be good.

Rob

#12 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:46 AM

looking good.

Quick question, Because of the front floor bar were have you run the water pipes as the exhaust tunnel will be blocked off. Any pictures would be good.

Rob

Hi rob, the car is currently away getting 4 wheel aligned at z-cars so i cant get a pic.

From a template ive made up the tunnel will be shallow but still there. ive worried about the water pipes myself but there is nothing that can be done about them. its a pay-off as far as i can see. either you make it flush with the bar and have a tunnel but no room for a carpet to run under the bar or room for a carpet and not much tunnel.
from measuring up it looks like there will be about 1cm of pipe sticking down beneath the car.

Al

Edited by al_reidy, 17 January 2009 - 07:11 PM.

#13 gizmo

gizmo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:07 AM

run oval ripes in tunnel. it wont restrict coolant flow cause its under pressure. i've even used rectangle tube like 1"x3" then weld round tube to ends to meet hoses..

#14 Mean mini man

Mean mini man

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:00 AM

LUSH

#15 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:27 PM

While im waiting for zcars to do a 4 wheel align (its taken 7 weeks so far!) i thought i would have a go at making a dash. what do you think?

Edited by al_reidy, 17 January 2009 - 07:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users