697 replies to this topic

#661 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:38 AM

Thats what I'll be trying at lunch time. If it still turns over slowly then it'll be another new starter motor! This one was brand new (not a recon) not so many months ago... :thumbsup:

If I'm honest though, the battery cables that run right through the car could do with changing, the exposed wire at the end of each cable is a little worse for wear, but I'm not sure I want to add more jobs to my to do list! lol

#662 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:44 AM

have you tried bump starting it...or is that wrong (just a thought :thumbsup: )

#663 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

Have you tried disconecting the coil from the dizzy? the stealth was a slow starter till we figured out that the diz timing was too advanced and the spark was trying to force the engine backwards... disconnect the coil and she'd spin like a washing machine!!!!

#664 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:36 PM

Yup, I've disconnected the coil from the dizzy, but then I did that months ago when I took both the coil and dizzy off and replaced them with Megajolt! :thumbsup:

Needless to say, I stuck a couple of jumper leads on the engine, and one on the solenoid today at lunch, and managed to get it fired up, so its almost certainly the battery leads/connections. I know the positive connective on the battery isn't that great, so trying to get hold of some battery cable and connectors now.

#665 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:19 PM

Wow just read this all the way through, and all I can say is......RAT. Haha. You've set yourself a very tight deadline. Im hoping you make it :thumbsup:

#666 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:37 PM

crikey...... do you need uprated cables due to the earth being cabled instead of through the body?

i'd be thinking of 25mm tails!!!!!

#667 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 05:55 PM

Nah, I wouldn't have thought so, the earth only has to cope with whatever the battery cable can take.

#668 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 06:53 PM

picture time i think james.

#669 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:08 PM

Will get a picture in the next couple of days, though not a lot have changed (with the exception of there now being an engine).

Learnt a couple of valuable lessons today:
1. A harness eyelet is no suitable plug for the MPI thermostat housing sender hole.
2. If you run a Megajolted engine without the dizzy plug, your drive will get covered in oil.

Apart from that, been working on the battery connections. Cleaned up the terminals on the battery and copper greased 'em, then chopped off the ends of the cables and re-attached the connectors. Made a little difference, but the engine still didn't turn over nearly as quick enough to fire up, had to stick the jumper leads on the solenoid again.

Attached the exhaust at last, though my exhaust paste had all gone hard in the tube, so couldn't use any of that...

Also got the magnets glued to the pot joint, and whilst in test mode the Digidash registered them fine, so thats all good. Plus I've got the holes cut in the bonnet to get some cool air through the radiator. One concern I do have though is that when the engine was running, it wouldn't idle below 1500rpm, so I hope I haven't got another blooming air leak! :D

#670 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:12 PM

got the magnets glued to the pot joint

we did that - one is still probably embedded in the wall at southam minis when the chemical metal gave up at high revs on the rolling road :D

#671 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:13 PM

Pictures woman, pictures!

Could you not hear sarcasm in my voice (typing) Charlie?! :cry:

And definitely running out of time to get it ready for BH2N! :cry:

I don't know... you should have spent the last few months getting an alternative car ready just incase this one wasn't ready... thats what some bloke did last year!!! :D

:o :o

Babes, have you got the passenger seat in yet? thats the most important bit :cry: :dozing:

#672 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:29 PM

i'd be thinking of 25mm tails!!!!!

I had 25mm cable from the posative to the starter, and around 3-4 earth 25mm cables coming off the engine just to let it spin up freely... but then, I was using a 750Ah Battary.

Come on Jammy, not far now...

#673 millsminis

millsminis

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:36 PM

Raz i think jammy isn't planning on a passenger seat i think thats what the roof rack is for!

Come on jammy you can do this but oh dear about oil on the drive what did mummy jammy say?

#674 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:23 PM

Quick update since I have the afternoon off. Oil (major) leak sorted and minor water leak sorted.

Now clutch won't engage. Scrap that, as I was typing I realised what it might be.... I wound the clutch adjustment bolt in and walA, a clutch that will engage.

Can't get it to idle below 2000rpm though. :)

#675 Jupitus

Jupitus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts
  • Local Club: Breathemini

Posted 07 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

Any air leaks? You said you had to redo the exhaust....

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users