#31 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • Name: Simon Jackson

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:11 PM

Fingers crossed then. Common practise to fit 2 straps, I think mine has 2!

#32 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:24 PM

If the horns on the backplate had been machined down, so you could use 3 or 4 drivestraps instead of the usual two

Machining the horns down to fit more straps? The extra straps go on top of the first one which must always be in the same place (direct onto the flywheel). If the horns have been removed in the lightening then you need spacers to replace them unless they have been machined down to compliment a thinner, lightened flywheel but then the pressure plate would be matched to that flywheel. I'm not sure what you mean here but if there has been any serious reduction of the measurement between the inner faces of the flywheel and pressure plate then the clutch friction disc will be permanantly locked. This would be caused by material being removed from the top of the horns or from the rear of the flywheel and not compensated for elsewhere.

I use three drivestraps (well, nine if you know what I mean)!

Edited by Dan, 17 September 2007 - 08:25 PM.

#33 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:00 PM

Well I only ask because of this, taken from Minispares fitting instructions for the Ultralite flywheel:

- Where extra drive straps are fitted, as in racing (3 on each location instead of the original two), it is essential to machine the thickness of the drive strap off of each pressure plate 'horn' and spacer to re-gain correct diaphragm clamping action to avoid clutch slip

Anyway, I've fitted an extra ~1mm of spacers to the backplate/diaphragm bolts, and I now have a clutch!! Its not perfect, it was still a little difficult to get into gear, but no crunching! I hope with an oil change and adjusting the clutch properly then it will be better.

#34 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:09 PM

That is saying to compensate for the skim by machining both parts as I said above. I guess they're saying this because using three clutch straps will make the assembly more rigid but I can't see it making a difference. In fact I can't work out how that would work. I've never done it and I never had a clutch slip with three straps.

Glad it's working so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users