#1 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

Hi everyone spraying my roof tomorrow and getting abit nervous that i might mess it up, anyone got any tips on stopping orange peel and runs,
gun pressure, etc. The equipment i will be using is as follows, top feed Devillebliss 1.8( HVLP I think) 2k paint, tack rags, panel wipe,poly tent inside garage, primer rubbed down
with 800 then followed with scotch brites, I think thats it. thanks in advance J.D.

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:44 PM

Just make sure everything is absolutley spotlessley clean and de-greased,.

Other than that, I'd recommend doing a test patch on some metal,... it's the only way to reliably set your equipment up so you know when the paint finally hits that roof,.. it's gonna stay there and look good when finished/buffed/mopped etc.

#3 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:57 PM

It'll be difficult not to get orange-peel with a 1.8 tip. I'd make the paint quite thin and don't put on the coats too heavy. If you apply a dust coat, followed by heavier coats but allowing the paint to tack off between coats, you shouldn't get any runs. Keep pressure about 200psi. Oh and to eliminate dust and ******* in the paint, don't just tack off the roof, tack off everything around it, including your airline and gun.

#4 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for quick reply I have a flat piece of metal taped to the poly wall that i tried the gun with primer on this should tell me if the paint will run or not am i right. The paint is
2:1 will this be enough to thin it in this weather

Edited by jonny d, 15 September 2007 - 10:01 PM.

#5 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:19 PM

Hi Panelbeaterpete my compresser only goes up to 145psi is that at the gun i have a gauge at the gun.( if my respray comes out half as good as your paintwork i will be happy
seen your photos)

#6 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:31 PM

Hmm that may be just about okay, if your paint is quite thin. If you're spraying a solid, go for 2 parts paint to 1 part hardener, and about 20% thinners. If it's base, about 2:1 should be fine, add a wee bit more thinners if it seems a bit thick on your test panel. You shouldn't have much of a problem with runs doing a roof, due toit being mostly flat! just be careful around the edges.

#7 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:40 PM

Its a solid colour, its the edges im worried about getting enough paint in the rain channel without overcoating the curved part of roof so it runs, any tips for this one

#8 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:59 AM

yeah that's a really tricky bit! put your pressure as high as possible, and either angle the gun as far as you can towards the inside of the gutter as you can without touching the roof, or do it from the opposite side, but adjust the fan size so it's about an inch or so high, this will make it travel further also. Oh and do all the edges first! that way any over spray won't be landing on your nice finish! Oh and I'll be wanting pics :P

#9 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

Attached File  my_car_024.jpg   1.05MB   45 downloadsAttached File  my_car_028.jpg   1MB   33 downloadsHi P.B.Peter done as you said roof painted got small orange peel like you said it would shine is not bad but i do have some ******* in the finish in some places despite vaccing and tacking everything gave it about 4 to 5 coats the gun was good,I thought that it was a 1.8 but it just says on the cap no.4 any idea what size that is?Again thanks for all your
help. photos shows some orange peel and dirt

Edited by jonny d, 17 September 2007 - 09:44 PM.

#10 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:38 PM

Thats ok mate, no idea what .4 would mean, maybe it was number 4 of a set, or it's meant to say 1.4... it's a mystery.

#11 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

Attached File  my_car_029.jpg   1.05MB   17 downloadsAttached File  my_car_027.jpg   1.04MB   17 downloadspaint still abit soft in the mixing cup is this normal for air dry? How long shall I leave it before I 2000
wet sand and buff and then polish?

#12 bloomers

bloomers

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:55 PM

looks ok mate :shifty: any new pics? when you going to mop!?

Ian

#13 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:09 PM

Thanks Ian I will mop sometime after I paint the body then might do it all together remasking the body evenings this week suprising how long it takes no wonder they charge
allot at the body shops

#14 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:22 PM

Thats lookin great! I'd leave it a few days before you try flatting it, make sure that it's totally dry by pressing the tip of your fingernail onto it, if it marks the surface, it's noty dry enough to polish.

#15 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for that as said i think i will leave it till after i do the main body, doors, bootlid and bonnet because they will probably need mopping
as well. Any tips on doing those,I will be attempting the body on fri afternoon.J.D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users