#16 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:46 PM

Yeah fair enough. No tips as such, you seem to have done pretty well with the roof so crack on! Just remember you're more likely to get runs on the side due to gravity being a tit! so just be more careful as to how much material is going on. And paint all your edges first. " Do the edges first and the rest will take care of itself" as I was always told :cry:

#17 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for all your help so far P.B.Pete, will put it on in thin coats and let it flash off for 15min between coats

#18 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:00 PM

Attached File  my_respray_003.jpg   1.42MB   21 downloadsAttached File  my_respray_010.jpg   1.4MB   22 downloads[attac
ment=40394:my_respray_007.jpg]Right I sprayed it today didn't come out to bad had to give it 5 coats before i was happy though. Another question for you ,is .75 of a litre of top coat enougth to do the doors,
bootlid, bonnet,and seam strips as I am getting low on paint now. The pictures do not show the true colour because of the flash it should look like Island blue but dosn't look nothing
like Island blue

Attached Files

Edited by jonny d, 22 September 2007 - 08:03 PM.

#19 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:29 PM

wehey! Looks really good mate! I think your pushing it with the paint to be honest! you'll deffo not manage 5 coats anyway, and you'll have to put the same amount of paint on the doors etc to get the colour exactly the same! I'd have said you'll need about a litre. You could always just put 1 coat on the inside of the panels, that way there might JUST be enough. Are you using HS or MS? if it's high solid you should only need 2 coats anyway, if it's medium solid you would need about 3-4.

#20 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:10 PM

Hi yeah im pleased with it ,how will I get an accurate match in buying more paint I bought the paint at a local paint place over a year ago but it does say on the tin the
paint manufacturer and it also says 10/8/95 paint formula will this be enough for a perfect match and can I still get it being an ameteur and all that. later on I might want to
put colour matched arches on.ALSO how long can you keep it on the shelf for? thanks for your support Pete

#21 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

If your going to buy more paint.. the chance of the new paint being an exact match as what you have is slim...

So what Id suggest doing is painting your remaining panels with some of the new paint..

And save what little paint you still have now... for the final coat (or 2 if you manage it) on your remaining panels.

Looks like youve done a great job mate so far, dont let new paint that isnt spot on colour wise ruin it!

Unless you have got any other suggestions Pete?

Just thought I'd jump in and mention something bout it incase it all goes tits up.

#22 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for your input J.M sounds like a good idea to me with the last coats, and thanks for your concern J.D.

#23 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:38 PM

Peter may say otherwise to me, as he has alot more experience, but its what Id do!

#24 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:42 PM

Your paint shop should be able to mix you some up from the details on the tin, if they are using the same paint mixing scheme then it should be the same colour, it's never going to be wildly off anyway, but I'd do what Jack said, keep your remaining old paint for the last coats on the outside of the panels. .75 will be enough for 2 coats which would be enough to correct any colour difference.

Pete

#25 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:13 PM

Thats what i'll be doing then, just hope now that I can still get the paint, how much should I buy? bearing in mind that I might have arches later and some for mild scrapes
ect.

#26 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

I'd get another 1.5 ltrs.

#27 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 02:50 PM

Will try tomorrow wish me luck

#28 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 03:17 PM

Good luck! :D

#29 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

Looking excellent mate you have done really well there. I resprayed my car in my garage and i always struggle with my roof, always comes out patchy or dull as if there is dust in the paint from over spray :genius:

#30 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:34 PM

Hi B.S. Racing thanks for the kind comments the roof was pretty hard to do especialy when your short like i am i found it hard to get up high
enough to keep the gun square to the surface in the middle, but i am quite pleased with the paint job as a whole except that i didn't leave
enough paint to do the doors bootlid etc, but the good news is that i can still get the paint i just hope it will be mixed the same as the last
batch (fingers crossed)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users